Pellet stove won't start (St. Croix-Afton Bay) Any help is Apreciated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had thought of that, so I've always tested it twice with the wires attached both ways. I had just assumed that I could jump the switch, but since the circuit wont close with the jumper attached, but will with the switch attached there must be some safety mechanism built in to prevent operating without the switch

There is none it is a simple diaphragm operated mechanical switch. The safety is that the stove will not operate if the switch is open the jumper is a 100% replacement for the switch in a n/c position so it lies to the controller. In any event if the vacuum switch is the issue jumping it should get the stove running provided all of the other connections are made.

ETA: You want to get things to the point that the stove runs and then remove the jumper and verify that the vacuum switch is indeed the only problem. Vacuum switches rarely fail.

Ok, I found the manual for the controller you have and I'd recommend reseating the molex connector with the stove off and unplugged. Then plug it in and turn it on.

ETA: There is also a hopper switch in-line with the auger motor best your hopper lid be closed.

I didn't have time to elaberate this am on the exhaust fan when ours when bad. It was still working, barely. When we pulled it out it was very hard to spin with a finger.

I think that only the later Afton Bays have a hopper switch. Mine is about 7 years old, has no hopper switch. I am toying with the idea of adding one, since it would be quite simple to do.

I didn't have time to elaberate this am on the exhaust fan when ours when bad. It was still working, barely. When we pulled it out it was very hard to spin with a finger.

Did you get the #2 light? Any other symptoms? I'm curious, just for future reference.

Got it, Smokey - thanks! I even had posted in that thread...:rolleyes:

CRS strikes again.

I wonder if this stove ever got running...

This stove now for sale on CL? One posted now. Nice looking stove but had lighter fluid and lighter in picture.

When I start it (on manual) the fans come on, it feeds the burn box with pellets, then the auger stops all fans shut down and the #2 & #3 lights blink simultaneously. From the time I push start until the lights start to blink and everything stops and the control board won't respond is about 45 -60 seconds. The pellets don't ignite. The ignitor is hot (presumably not for enough time to ignite).
The manual indicates this is a high limit switch problem. I've reset the switch, no change. By-passed the switch with a jumper, no change.
Now, Ive taken the stove outside and completely cleaned it (with brush, scraper, vacuum and an air compressor)- All ash traps, air intake path, exhaust path, behind the burn box, removed and cleaned both fans. The seals are in good repair. all doors and trap covers replaced and closed. I've by-passed the high limit switch, the vacuum switch, checked all the wiring connectors, cleaned the control board ground, ensured the control board is securely in place (fuse is good). I've checked the wires and voltage (at the switch and at the pin out on the control board) for the hi-limit, vacuum and proof of fire switches.
I took the proof of fire switch off and cleaned the contact area on the switch and fan.
I've by-passed the proof of fire switch. When I did this, It follows the same procedure as above except, the combustion/exhaust fan remains on after the #2 & #3 lights blink (and the auger stops and the ignitor no longer heats).
I have by passed the switches individually and simultaneously. I am at a loss as to what the problem is.
It does not seem to be completing a full start up cycle. But, since it drops pellets and the ignitor begins to heat, it has apparently passed the vacuum check. Then after approximately an additional 30 seconds it shuts down (minutes before the proof of fire check should occur).
Any suggestions are welcome. - Thank you

We had this same problem, after replacing every sensor on the stove. It was found that the igniter set screw wasnt tight. so when the stove was moved the rod had slide out about 1/2" causing the stove not to light the pellets. This was cause from moving the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.