Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbug

Dec 5, 2014
marlboro
Hello,
I am thinking of buying a pellet stove. I have a small home. The top floor is about 1000 square ft. i have 8ft. celings. My current heat is run by electricty so I am eager to supplement with a pellet stove. I just do not want something too big that will make it too hot to be in the room. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Going too large isn't bad with a pellet stove. Hooked up to a thermostat they can maintain a set temp. Which room do you plan on placing the stove? Insert or freestanding? Open floor plan?

Budget?
Pellet availability in your area?
Are you going to tinker with it or want one thats minimal effort on your part?
Appearance?

And what Ranger72 said...

Hello,
I am thinking of buying a pellet stove. I have a small home. The top floor is about 1000 square ft. i have 8ft. celings. My current heat is run by electricty so I am eager to supplement with a pellet stove. I just do not want something too big that will make it too hot to be in the room. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm going to go against the grain and recommend you buy a smaller stove. Something in the 35 to 40k btu range. Why? You've got a small footprint and average ceilings. A stove is far happier running at its highest most efficient settings, than it is running at its lowest least efficient settings.

Lastly, I did a survey here last year just after the polar vortex and about 100 people responded, and what did I find? That only 10% of the people here, on the coldest days, needed a stove over 40k btus. A 40k btu stove on its highest setting can burn 5 lbs an hour, which is 120 lbs in a day, which is a 3 bag a day habit. Yep. How many people on here stated that they needed to burn 3 or more bags a day on the coldest days last year? About 10%, and that's for homes of all sizes, and all locales. Seriously, just about everyone here is oversizing their stoves.

More lastly, you mentioned supplementing your heat, and you mentioned not making it too hot. All the more reason to go with a smaller stove.

^^^^ what they said.. Go big go broke.. Youll burn more cost wise then if you have to turn your electric heat on when its -10F outside. Getting a big heating appliance to satisfy the coldest days of the year is not efficient..

Reactions: tjnamtiw
I once had a ranch with an addition...It was about 1100 sq ft. I heated it with a Harman Accentra pellet insert fireplace which was 42,500btu.
When it got down to around 10 above or below....it wasn't enough,so I would fire up the Harman coal stove in the basement...
So, I recommend a 45-50 k btu....

With your size of home also look at the bottom burn rate. There are some stoves with a minimum burn of 16,000 btu. That can lead to on off cycling that can eat igniters. Our newer home can absorb about 10k on most cold cloudy days. bump the temps up over 32 or calm and sunny, 8k btu to keep it around 69-70 for nearly 3,000 square ft

With your size of home also look at the bottom burn rate. There are some stoves with a minimum burn of 16,000 btu. That can lead to on off cycling that can eat igniters. Our newer home can absorb about 10k on most cold cloudy days. bump the temps up over 32 or calm and sunny, 8k btu to keep it around 69-70 for nearly 3,000 square ft
Buy a properly sized Harman. They are well built and worth the money. Great temp control in Room Temp mode and as far as the ignigter "myth" goes, I've run mine for going on seven years and replaced one for a total of seventy-eight bucks. Little enough to pay for the ease of operation and versatility of the stove.

Reactions: bags
Budget?
Pellet availability in your area?
Are you going to tinker with it or want one thats minimal effort on your part?
Appearance?

And what Ranger72 said...
I would not be the one tinkering unless I did not want it to work. I live in the Upstate NY area. I want minimal effort, low dust. It would be in the living room area. Yes it has to be attractive. I am not sure of the price because I do not know how much they cost.

I would not be the one tinkering unless I did not want it to work. I live in the Upstate NY area. I want minimal effort, low dust. It would be in the living room area. Yes it has to be attractive. I am not sure of the price because I do not know how much they cost.
Yeah. You want a Harman!

Last edited:
Naw.... The OP needs a USSC. Half the price of a Harman, less complex too. That half price deal buys a lot of pellets....or beer,

Naw.... The OP needs a USSC. Half the price of a Harman, less complex too. That half price deal buys a lot of pellets....or beer,
Half the price gets you half the performance and less time to DRINK the beer. And if I can run the thing anyone can! (Geeze. I almost said if a Polack can run the thing but then realized that wouldn't be politically correct even if I AM one so I stopped myself! Ain't you all proud of me?)

Half the price gets you half the performance and less time to DRINK the beer. And if I can run the thing anyone can!

My 6039 can melt your Harman.....:ZZZ

Better check the performance figures and emission figures. Better than Harman and lots cheaper.

18_inch_ruler__57607.1405349052.1280.1280.jpg

Sincer I know you (from work) and your needs \ budget, I am aware there is no fireplace in the room so a free standing stove is the option. 1000sq feet is not a lot and there is good advice here regarding overkill.. killing your budget that is. You can have a few places that are local come in with estimates and go from there. Most of the stove shops in this area, Green energy, Northstar, Thorntons and I'm sure there are many more, will travel 25~50 miles to do the install when you buy from them. Good advice on size and cyclng also.. ignitors don't last all that long so that is a consideration. An inexpensive thermostat such as the one in my sig here will save you a lot of $ in terms of pellets once you get your schedule etc dialed in.

Oh yeah and as I mentioned to you today .. INSIST that an OAK be installed to help keep the stove from pulling cold air from the lower level, light sockets etc when you have it installed

Better check the performance figures and emission figures. Better than Harman and lots cheaper.
Awwww his 6039 is way better than a harman ummm what's a 6039?

Hello,
Hi pbug just my 2cents but I reasearched for quite some time and found that the harman stoves are highly recommended by most.u will get a few telling you to save your money but the majority says u get what you pay for. I just bought a new harman accentra,and I'm here to tell ya it's one of the best things I have ever bought ease of use looks and it's a heating power house I have 2000 sqft and it runs on low most of the time.very easy to clean and takes maybe 5 min of your time a day to scrape the pot and fill the hopper.do some reasearch hope you find one you like

How's come we get so defensive when the "harman" name is mentioned

How's come we get so defensive when the "harman" name is mentioned

Probably the same reason Chevy owners blast Ford owners and vice versa. With a few exceptions, people on here really like their stoves and the best brand is whatever brand they own.

Status
Not open for further replies.