Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big trucks typicallt have aluminum cabs though fiberglass is replacing aluminum because it costs less and it's easier to repair. No Ford placed a huge order for cabinet grade aluminum sheet and the aluminum manufacturers are running short.

I'm not sure if the publkic will accept the aluminum body. I do know it's a real PITA to repair collision damage because the body is glued together, not welded or riveted. I have some insight into the process in as much as my BIL is a ranking engineer at Ford SVO in Dearborn. Ford had to develop special adhesives to assemble the body panels and they ain't cheap.

I'm not sure if you noticed a fed ex or ups truck in your travels or not but the only place there is fiberglass and not aluminum is the roof and theses companies have been ordering them this way since before I was born. I think your barking up the wrong tree here

I don't uderstand how they make the glue work on a ups or fed ex truck last so long but they usually decommission the bodies after a million miles and sell them in good working order. I would think ford will adopt the same principals

I don't uderstand how they make the glue work on a ups or fed ex truck last so long but they usually decommission the bodies after a million miles and sell them in good working order. I would think ford will adopt the same principals
Lots of manufacturers, Toyota for instance, are going aluminum or thinking of it
Back when Porsche 928 and some Rover model were aluminum and someone's hood was too I think.

I'm not sure if you noticed a fed ex or ups truck in your travels or not but the only place there is fiberglass and not aluminum is the roof and theses companies have been ordering them this way since before I was born. I think your barking up the wrong tree here

No, I'm not, you see I work for a heavy truck dealershp (Freightliner and Western Star) so I see the latest and greatest all the time and I get to drive them when the new smell is still there....

Ups straight trucks are riveted alumninum on the front and back but the sides are pre-pant FRP. The hoods are glass, the doors are aluminum and the chassis, steel. FRP is just as strong as aluminum and just as light, easily repairable too.

Back in the day, they were aluminum, not now.

Yep not so sure how this one lasted so long

Yep not so sure how this one lasted so long
If it don't get to stoves it will be shut down as its no help to the OP as much fun as it is:(

I'd like to see a TIG welded aluminum stove myself. Al is a better conductor of heat.....

Far as Harmin goes whatever stove is the best bang for your buck if you are happy with it.

Gonna buy a Harman for the garage......

Santa Fe had Al tubes. Don't know if still does.

No, I'm not, you see I work for a heavy truck dealershp (Freightliner and Western Star) so I see the latest and greatest all the time and I get to drive them when the new smell is still there....

Ups straight trucks are riveted alumninum on the front and back but the sides are pre-pant FRP. The hoods are glass, the doors are aluminum and the chassis, steel. FRP is just as strong as aluminum and just as light, easily repairable too.

Back in the day, they were aluminum, not now.
So you work for Morgan Olson then and have built and inspect them? No I don't think so they are welded and were they are not welded they are bolted all sides of the trucks are aluminum except hood ,where there is glass and the roof.and I've never seen any basis or statistics showing a aluminum crisis due to ford

I just heard harman is causing a shortage of cast iron and wood pellets.lol better get one soon for the garage or there won't be any materials left?

Reactions: F4jock
So you work for Morgan Olson then and have built and inspect them? No I don't think so they are welded and were they are not welded they are bolted all sides of the trucks are aluminum except hood ,where there is glass and the roof.and I've never seen any basis or statistics showing a aluminum crisis due to ford

I work for a Freightliner deaker and 95% of UPS strraight rucks are on Freightliner chassis and they come in all the time for warranty work so I get to see them as well as crash damage aa we have a fully equipped frame and body shop so I get to see them dissected too.

Next time I'm in the shop and we have one in, I'll snap a picture of one of the sides so you can see what FRP looks like in Buster Brown brown.

Seeing as you are in PA, swing by Reitnauer in Reading and ask Bill (general manager) how hard it is to get Al right now and why.

Morgan isn't the only contractor building UPS bodies btw. It's all on bid.

I just heard harman is causing a shortage of cast iron and wood pellets.lol better get one soon for the garage or there won't be any materials left?

Aren't the cast iron castings coming from China? Pretty hard to operate a profitable iron foundry here today with the EPA breathing down your shirt all the time....

I work for a Freightliner deaker and 95% of UPS strraight rucks are on Freightliner chassis and they come in all the time for warranty work so I get to see them as well as crash damage aa we have a fully equipped frame and body shop so I get to see them dissected too.

Next time I'm in the shop and we have one in, I'll snap a picture of one of the sides so you can see what FRP looks like in Buster Brown brown.

Seeing as you are in PA, swing by Reitnauer in Reading and ask Bill (general manager) how hard it is to get Al right now and why.

Morgan isn't the only contractor building UPS bodies btw. It's all on bid.
Take your pics can anyone direct me to the freightliner forum? Back to stoves

In the grand sheme of things, all the stove makers combined are small potatoes

In the grand sheme of things, all the stove makers combined are small potatoes

You asked, I replied. Can't help it you stubbed your toe.

Yeah my stubbed tow your talking about freight liners I'm talking about aluminum delivery trucks that would be comparable to an aluminumF150 not sure we are on the same page here and it's not my toe that hurts

I'd like to see a TIG welded aluminum stove myself. Al is a better conductor of heat.....

Far as Harmin goes whatever stove is the best bang for your buck if you are happy with it.

Gonna buy a Harman for the garage......
Didn't like my firepit idea huh?

If it don't get to stoves it will be shut down as its no help to the OP as much fun as it is:(
Yeah. (Insert Deity of your choice here.) help us the conversation takes tangents like we're actually sittin' around the OP's new stove (Notice I worked both the stove and the OP into the post! ==c) having a brew and talking like actual retail people do. Now it's just me talkin' you understand, but were I a newbie reading this I'd think "Gee. Real people live here!"

Status
Not open for further replies.