pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwolfie

Mar 25, 2008
Highland Mills, NY
I am a new person to this site and I am trying to get information about a good quality pellet stove I am looking to heat 1200 sq. ft. of living space if anyone has any recommedation on a good stove please write back, my main souce of heat is oil and trying to reduce cost

Thanks Mike

Check your local dealers first. Check on service and support see how helpful they are. Then when you find a dealer you like and feel will offer good service after your purchase as well as during then pick your stove. You will find lots of great models and designs out there.

St. Croix was my choice but may not be yours.

Also look at Harman, Breckwell, Enviro, Napoleon just made one first year though. and many more.

good luck

Shawn

You might be able to find a stove on sale at a local big box store at this time of the year. Try a lowes or home depot type store. In my area home depot has all their stoves on sale as they are trying to get rid of inventory. I bought my Englander last year around this time, and I am pretty happy with it.

Have the Harman P68 here and stisfied with it though this is just our first season with it. We are heating a 1900 ft trailer, and bought 4 tone of pellets, at $800.00. Still have half ton yet at this point. Good luck on your decison.

I called an area Quadrafire dealer and he fell all over himself trying to get a sale.....and it worked. Great deal on a great stove.

Shooter said:
I called an area Quadrafire dealer and he fell all over himself trying to get a sale.....and it worked. Great deal on a great stove.

Which Quad did you get?

mwolfie said:
I am a new person to this site and I am trying to get information about a good quality pellet stove I am looking to heat 1200 sq. ft. of living space if anyone has any recommedation on a good stove please write back, my main souce of heat is oil and trying to reduce cost

Thanks Mike

the recommendations above all have merit , the thought process should include price versus service. if you are a handy person then a big box unit like ours would likley save you a fair amount of money up front, but we are in the "DIY" market and do not offer in home service rather we provide tech support via phone and web along with parts shipped to the customer if needed via UPS.

OTOH if you are not mechanically inclined, or if you simply would prefer to have a tech come out if an issue were to arise, i would recommend a dealer based product such as a harman or quad bought with a service contract this will be more expensive , but you are paying for the service as well as the stove , to some this is worth it for the above mentioned reasons. should you go that route remember this as i feel it is important "when you buy from a dealer you are buying the dealer as well" in respect to the service side anyway. ask for referrances ask others who have dealt with your local dealers to try to determine if one is better after the sale than another. or even better if you are close to a dealer who participates in this forum i'd look hard at his wares as he wouldnt be in here unless he cares about what he does.

if you would like to learn more about my product line feel free to contact me, and even if you dont settle on one of my stoves you can still feel free to kick around any questions in general you might have with me as well. hope this helps ya

Jabberwocky said:
Shooter said:

Which Quad did you get?
I got the CB1200i to go in where the cosmetically useless propane direct vent furnace used to be. It fit like a glove and runs great. Excellent support and tech service, too.

I purchased my englander late last fall, and am very happy with it. Like Mike Holton said, if you're handy then you'll save alot of money with the Englander. I'm heating approx. 1700 sq. ft. and have an open floor plan. My living room hovers between 70 - 73 on single digit days, and the bedrooms on the second floor hover between 65 - 68. I usually keep the stove on a medium low setting, 3, and am just finishing up my 3rd ton of pellets.

mwolfie said:

Thanks Mike

Hey Mike - what worked for me is knowing someone who had a stove and who was happy with it. In my case, they had a Harman XXV. I visited the dealer and found them to know what they were talking about and glad to help me. They did the install and did a great job. When I notified my insurance company that I had the stove, one of their questions was, was it installed professionally ? I was glad I could answer yes.

So I think that knowing folks who are happy with their stoves and their dealer is one good way to go.

Good luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.