Pellet stoves and birds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabor129

Sep 26, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone has a pellet stove and owns pet birds? My wife is very afraid they her birds might die because of the fumes! I do not think it will have any adverse effect , but I figured I ask!

We have a blue front Amazon parrot for 17 years and a pellet stove for 7 years.. Zero issues for us..

Good luck in your future pellet stove decision. . I did run our stove outside before it was installed in the house. .

There shouldn't be fumes in the house, if the stove is installed correctly.

I've had an Amazon Yellow Nape parrot for thirty years and a pellet stove for three years, he lives in the same room as the stove and doesn't mind it.

Dave

Edit: Wait a damn minute! I've had that little green ass hole for forty years! He's crazy about me, but hates everyone else.

Last edited:
I ran it for a couple of hours to burn the paint fumes off.. and we were good to go..

There shouldn't be fumes in the house, if the stove is installed correctly.

I've had an Amazon Yellow Nape parrot for thirty years and a pellet stove for three years, he lives in the same room as the stove and doesn't mind it.

Dave

Thank you! I was more worried about burning of the packing oils and such, at the initial start up, than the actual fumes from the stove!

I have an African Grey who lives in the same room as the stove. She's as healthy, loud and obnoxious as ever but we still love her.

I have an African Grey who lives in the same room as the stove. She's as healthy, loud and obnoxious as ever but we still love her.
I love birds but we have indoor cats. So we have multi feeders outside our dining room window and a house out there in view of the same window that a pair of NutHatchers nest in. So they aren't like pet birds but they are cool, we get the whole gamut out here from wood peckers to chickadees in our garden feeders, including humming birds.. And they fly free out there, not couped up. My wife planted that garden accordingly, it attracts quite an array of birds. The hummers have left for the season incidentally and I swear the grey squirrels are already getting silvery looking like they did early before winter last year, so I'm expecting another whopping winter personally..

I love birds but we have indoor cats. So we have multi feeders outside our dining room window and a house out there in view of the same window that a pair of NutHatchers nest in. So they aren't like pet birds but they are cool, we get the whole gamut out here from wood peckers to chickadees in our garden feeders, including humming birds.. And they fly free out there, not couped up. My wife planted that garden accordingly, it attracts quite an array of birds. The hummers have left for the season incidentally and I swear the grey squirrels are already getting silvery looking like they did early before winter last year, so I'm expecting another whopping winter personally..
....but they can't tell you to f***k off like this feathered ray of sunshine to my right.

She looks innocent enough doesn't she?

f90edf22cd8a03752454f83169687580.jpg

Thank you! I was more worried about burning of the packing oils and such, at the initial start up, than the actual fumes from the stove!
I'd stick the bird in another room and close the door while I burned the stove in with windows open. My P61 stopped smoking up after about 30 minutes . You could smell a little something from it on the next couple burns but nothing significant.

Reactions: Gabor129
Status
Not open for further replies.