Pellet stoves make huge gains and why does EU have the cool cars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
look at energy star... What a disaster. I have never been able figure out to what measure anything rated by them benefits the consumer
I do believe I read that Energy Star is not long for this world. I hope I'm right.

As for safety standards, Snowy, European standards have to be better than ours with the speeds they drive. :) Our government, as you point out, needs to get their noses AND hands out of our pockets.

Ah, clearly someone who has never driven a European diesel!!!! Not your grandmom's diesel Olds by any stretch. I can say I drove an Audi A8 on the Autobahn at 300 kph! Scary? Yep! Awsome? Yep. !!! AND when driven at a more sane rate of speed, I got 50 mpg! Got 60 mpg with a MB with 4 people in it for a week.

Why are the vehicle economy ratings in the UK twice that of the US?
The .GOV has done NOTHING to help the automobile industry, or any other industry.
VW 21Mpg in USA, same car and engine in the UK is 44Mpg. Both rated in Mpg.

The uk variants tend to have smaller engines (ie, 1.8 here, 1.3 there).

That's the most fun part of car ownership. Nothing beats spending a sat morning working on your own car.

If I had a 100K car it would be a Tesla, so that I didn't have to work on the car on Saturdays. ;lol

The uk variants tend to have smaller engines (ie, 1.8 here, 1.3 there).
Perhaps, but turbo charged and more pep than the US version, believe it or not.

Ford has been using the same styling and features in their European cars here in the states. See the new focus and fusion, aka the mondeo in Europe. Turbo charged 1.6 and 2.0 engines.

GM does it too. Like the chevy cruze. I believe its a turboed 1.3L.

That's new this (or last) year though... the uk has been doing it for 20 years.

Ford has been using the same styling and features in their European cars here in the states. See the new focus and fusion, aka the mondeo in Europe. Turbo charged 1.6 and 2.0 engines.
But NOT diesels, which is the point of our digression. Turbo charge a little diesel and you get both great performance and great mileage. Here a turbo charged gas engine gets relatively lousy mileage thanks to the EPA.

I have a 2.0T genesis coupe ... I can get 30mpg out of it if I try... and do no more than 60mph. usually around 20-23 because my foot is in it :p

its not so much that the engine isn't efficient, its that the cars way so damn much these days.

an 88 civic got 45 mpg, but it weight 1900 lbs.
a 2013 civic gets 32 on a good day, and weighs like 3200.

Fellas - since this thread hasn't been pellet stove oriented since about post #10, I think I am gonna slip it into the Inglenook section. Post on - I just think it is a better fit.

I don't think I have ever owned a car with less than 100k

100k is when they start breaking in!, for years i bough new car's, wasted 100k, now i only buy 500 dollar bomber's, why, i'm a ASE master Tech!!

Scott, I did that. The original title didn't fit the thread drift. You guys were having meaningful conversation and thought it would bring more attention to the current discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.