Pellet stoves that work well on DC current?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
What are best pellet stove options for DC power? I got a question from someone living off the grid and want a good pellet stove that works on DC power and one that draws very little electricity. Has anyone measured the amount of energy needed by different stoves?

John

My stove draws about 150 watts under normal operation and nearly double that when the igniter is firing. I don't know of any pellet stoves that run on DC but your buddy can use an inverter to convert the DC to AC just be sure to get a pure sine inverter. He would also want a manual lighting stove to minimize power consumption.

Another stove that can be found used is a Avent. Been checking out a couple in WI. 12 volt unit. The exhaust fan is combined with the room fan so all your running is auger and one other motor. Parts readily available yet. Downside is that its max output is 20k

Attachments

• 00U0U_38WzuY5GggU_600x450.jpg
    00U0U_38WzuY5GggU_600x450.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'm the person that has a cabin off the grid in Alberta and asked john the original question. I am hoping to find a pellet stove with dc motor so I don't need an inverter. I have solar panel and 12v deep cycle batteries. Anyone know of pellet stove with dc motor only? Thanks
Another stove that can be found used is a Avent. Been checking out a couple in WI. 12 unit. The exhaust fan is combined with the room fan so all your running is auger and one other motor. Parts readily available yet. Downside is that its max output is 20k
hanks

Last edited:
The Mt Vernon AE has the ability to run on dc. It's a miser on power when in that mode. Needs to be manually lit when on battery, only runs at reduced blower speed and does shut down when it thinks it's time for a self clean (relaxed shedule).
Runs of a 12V battery. Mine ran over three days on 100Ahr, then the power came back on.

Another stove that can be found used is a Avent. Been checking out a couple in WI. 12 volt unit. The exhaust fan is combined with the room fan so all your running is auger and one other motor. Parts readily available yet. Downside is that its max output is 20k

Very interesting, I have to check that out.....

Thelin stoves are all set up to run on DC power. All 12 volt motors and can run completely on deep cycle battery. They run on about 27 amps.

They run on about 27 amps.
Really, that's 324Watts! That can't be continuous. Is that the peak power, like with the igniter going?
At 324W you might as well use an electric heater.

Thelin stoves are all set up to run on DC power. All 12 volt motors and can run completely on deep cycle battery. They run on about 27 amps.
Have you learned of the prices for the repair motors?

I have an older Magnum Baby Countryside that has all DC motors. It has a panel that allows a battery hookup. I never have tried mine using only DC power. Plan on looking into it this summer.

I have an older Magnum Baby Countryside that has all DC motors. It has a panel that allows a battery hookup. I never have tried mine using only DC power. Plan on looking into it this summer.
Theres a boat load of them in our area. Will have to do a bit of research on them. I know they are painfull to keep clean by reports on here.

Bought mine used (cheap ). It was plugged solid. After learning its quirks it has preformed flawlessly for a year and a half. Went 8 days without even opening the door. I can't complain !

Bought mine used (cheap ). It was plugged solid. After learning its quirks it has preformed flawlessly for a year and a half. Went 8 days without even opening the door. I can't complain !
Like you said "QUIRKS" :)

But having to drill, beat and use of coat hangers?

What are best pellet stove options for DC power? I got a question from someone living off the grid and want a good pellet stove that works on DC power and one that draws very little electricity. Has anyone measured the amount of energy needed by different stoves?

John
Quad AE has 12 volt capability and can run off 12 volt car battery if that's what you are looking for. I believe it will work for 6 hours before it has to shut down to dump.

But having to drill, beat and use of coat hangers?
Did all of the above initially to clean it but now all it takes is a couple blasts of compressed air in the right spots. I bet most of these stoves that are for sale used are plugged and need a proper cleaning. Like most stoves that are not maintained.

Did all of the above initially to clean it but now all it takes is a couple blasts of compressed air in the right spots. I bet most of these stoves that are for sale used are plugged and need a proper cleaning. Like most stoves that are not maintained.
Your probably very right.

You won't catch any of the older members here taking the other side of that argument, the odds are stacked 4 to 1 against you before you even get to the CL stoves.

Have you learned of the prices for the repair motors?
I don't have a problem with replacement part prices, my dealer sells at a very reasonable markup. I have replaced both the feed and fan motors and the new ones don't last like the originals, I have replaced the fan motor a second time under warranty and there is a new auger motor waiting for me to pick it up, also under warranty. They also let me do the labor so I don't have to pay for a service call.

As noted, the Quad Mt Vernon might be your best bet, but you would likely need to work with Quad to see if the stove could be modified to bypass the features that throttle it back and eliminate use of the ignitor when on DC only power. It should be possible, as that's just a programming change. The question is whether they will cooperate in doing so, and whether it would alter any of their approvals to allow it. They have a rep who has recently joined this forum, I think. Would be a great feature for a home running off-grid, and might even get them a write-up in something like Home Power magazine. Certainly the type of article I would like to read there.

As noted, the Quad Mt Vernon might be your best bet, but you would likely need to work with Quad to see if the stove could be modified to bypass the features that throttle it back and eliminate use of the ignitor when on DC only power. It should be possible, as that's just a programming change. The question is whether they will cooperate in doing so, and whether it would alter any of their approvals to allow it. They have a rep who has recently joined this forum, I think. Would be a great feature for a home running off-grid, and might even get them a write-up in something like Home Power magazine. Certainly the type of article I would like to read there.
I don't know what quality standards their industry is held to. I the government regulated industries I have worked in (avionics and medical devices) software validation had to be repeated for any modification of the software. It was sometimes limited to regression testing, but you had to make a solid case for not testing the whole thing.
The cost of software validation was usually between 1/3 and 1/2 of the cost of development.
That seemingly trivial modification could be very expensive for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.