1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet supply in the Northeast

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by Jigger, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Jigger

Jigger New Member

Loc:
    Wareham,Ma.
    It looks lie the supply of pellets in the Northeast is starting to starve. I went to my local Lowe's th other night looking for a chain saw. But while I was there decided to look for thier pellets to see what they we carrying. In my surprise I did notice that they had already started to changed over to their spring summer sales item.In the process of looking around I did not find anything. I even checked thier out side storage area. A sales rep. came up to me and asked if he could help me find something. I told him I was looking for pellets. He saide they had recieved a load on Thursday but the enntire load of 22 tons was gone by 11 AM on Friday. Yesturday I went to my local Agway dealer and took the last of thier softwood supply. My stove really does not like hardwood. As the young gentlemen was loading my truck. I suggesest to him that they needed to place an order. He told me they have an order in already but shipment will not happen until April. We have a warm spell coming next week. I'm hopeing that the supply can catch up to the demand. We have a short window of warm weather coming. Before the cold weather sets back on us once again. This has certainly been a long cold winter.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. alternativeheat

alternativeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    You named it, changing to summer sales at the box stores, to them winter is over. They don't run the stores according to our needs but how they think you think.. You need to look at independent dealers now. You will pay more but they have pellets.
  3. rich2500

rich2500 Member

Loc:
    S E Pa.
    was just in my local homedepot Saturday evening and they had 2 fresh skids of pellets sitting inside just being unwrapped,they also had a big supply of snow shovels and salt that just came in,so I guess each store is different.
  4. Phoenix Hatchling

Phoenix Hatchling Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Fairfield, CT
    Just for curiosity sake I went to a local stove shop, Lowes, Home Depot, and TSC yesterday to be told by all that they did not have pellets, salt or shovels. CT as a state does not have salt anymore for the roadways, and nobody could pin down when their suppliers would be shipping again.
  5. alternativeheat

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    Here TSC is out of salt or any ice melt, HD also. The hardware store had it. My wife ordered some online. TSC had pellets sat, several pallets of them that looked like a new shipment since the previous sat to me. A local supply company ( masonry of all things) has pellets, two brands. A different hardware than had ice melt has Spruce Pointe pellets if you can stand the bag price.
  6. SXIPro

SXIPro Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern MA
    I called 3 Lowes and 4 HDs Saturday and none had pellets. Only one of them even has more on order. TSC only had 8 tons and by the time I got there they were down to 3.
  7. alternativeheat

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    Ya it's a tough year on heating fuel supplies for sure. It doesn't help that box stores dry up this time of year and start their summer or spring mind set. Here it is after the 15th of feb, it's 13 deg out this morning on Cape Cod. Next month generally the daffodils start popping up and we have a ft of snow on the ground. In feb usually the the first batch of Crocus pop up along my foundation on the south side of the house. The same ft of snow is there as well. But hey, the birds are moving about and looking to nest, I hope to gain a pair in my bird house soon.
  8. alternativeheat

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    There is always somebody listening and somebody saying things ! Amen.

Anyway, as far as locally, I'm pretty sure I can continue to get pellets from a few suppliers.
  9. chken

chken Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    Here in Maine, I noticed that when salt and ice melt was sold out, that people started to use water softener salt.
  10. Northeaster2010

Northeaster2010 Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Called my supplier today, southern nh, no pellets, don't know when they will have some again!! YIKES!
  11. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Seems to me that these people that sell pellets have to learn what a full winter season looks like.
  12. alternativeheat

Loc:
    Cape Cod
    Went back to TSC today , was driving by. They had 4 bags of a different pellet than I bought Sat and that was it ( glad I didn't bring the trailer to get a ton). They said they sold 20 ton of pellets over the weekend. There are more on a truck headed their way, they have no idea when it will show up they said. The other person I spoke with said check back in a couple of weeks but I'm thinking if it's really on a truck headed their way then a few days should do it.

I can still get Spruce Pointe, LaCrete and LG though. The price is high enough that the volume sales aren't there on those as yet..
  13. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    plenty of pellets to be had around here !
  14. batchman

batchman New Member

Loc:
    Backwoods MA
    I was talking with my local stove store, who has pellets but a 10 bag limit. Sounded like the 70s $2 gas limit to me ($20 today)!

His two points were:
    - the mills can't easily increase production just because it's cold
    - they have to make their purchase commitments months in advance

Stay warm,
    - Jeff
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  15. Danny9909

Danny9909 Member

Loc:
    Southern,Ma
    My local lowes only had 17 bags of team green and that's it.
  16. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    This is when it is good to have a local stove / pellet dealer. They have plenty (or at least the local one here). Through some bad planning, I was down to last few bags. Called around and the local dealer had plenty.
    Jacques909 likes this.
  17. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria Member

Loc:
    New Hampster
    Couldn't the same be said for people that live here ;?

For what it's worth, most of the people that sell pellets, know what the season is.
    To the people that sell carpeting, dishwashers, paint, plywood, and gas grilles,
    the pellet sales are just an add on for the winter, and a very miniscule part of their business.

Dan
  18. boxedout

boxedout Guest

Yep, our local HD and Lowes are all out, but local dealer has plenty and has not raised the price. Is rationing to 1/2 ton per customer, though, to be fair to all.
  19. wenger7446

wenger7446 Member

Loc:
    Pottstown, PA
    Liv'n Green Landscape Supply in Bechtelsville Pa (19505) is advertising they have pellets on their sign. I am not sure is the price or type, I just drive past there daily.
  20. AK13

AK13 Member

Loc:
    Seacoast, NH
    Maybe the people who burn pellets need to learn what a full winter season looks like and plan accordingly! Just sayin.

I'm not a pellet burner, but this winter has been absolutely brutal on my wood supply. I'm staring down the last pile of seasoned wood. I had about 3.5 cord of hardwood and another 2.5 cord of pine. And its all but gone leaving me to burn next winter's unseasoned wood (stacked in the fall). Might not be that bad except its all red oak (sizzle sizzle). Thankfully I held out a little pine to help burn that wet wood. And next week is finally going to be a little warmer.
    Harman p-68a likes this.
  21. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    All true
  22. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Almost every one is coming up short.Its a good thing we are in the middle of a sea of NG due mostly to fracking. Imagine if they were running out of NG because of high usage.The average homeowner cant stock pile that stuff.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  23. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Well i spoke to soon ! For what Ive been told there is an offical shortage of pellets here as well had a friend beg me to sell him a ton today no need to beg I told him and let a ton go ! Nice to have a little extra on hand just for times like these! He will repay me before next season.......thats what friends are for !!!
    NHcpa, Owen1508, RKS130 and 3 others like this.
  24. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria Member

Loc:
    New Hampster
    It can happen really fast...:eek:
    Saw 10 tons go in less than two hours yesterday...

Dan
  25. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Back into the deep freeze next week and probably holding there till March sometime according to the local crystal ball gazer. Gosh it felt good to hit 32 today with sun and no wind.