Pellet Testing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrsdws

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Central Illinois
I'll be starting some pellet testing today on four different pellet brands available locally. It doesn't seem we have as big or as "high end" selection here in Central Illinois as many of you in the East and North East part of the country. These would likely to be considered your "shoulder season" pellets. I have been burning mainly a 50/50 corn/pellet mix for the last few weeks. I got lucky and bought some corn cheap and mixing with pellets helps "stretch" it out. I paid about the same for my corn and pellets. Looking forward, it appears that pellets are going to be cheaper than corn, thus time to test.

My tests will simply be for heat output measured in exchange tubes at intervals throughout burn period. Measurement will be taken with a Cole-Parmer Remote Monitoring Thermocouple Thermometer.

Burn Unit: Illinois Corn Stoves Biomass Furnace - This unit was originally manufactured for industrial and greenhouse use and has recently been adapted and is being sold for residential use.

The amount of fuel delivered for each auger speed setting 1-5 is a known amount for corn. I will burn with the auger on 3 for the entire test. With corn, auger 3 delivers about 10lbs per hour. I will time the consumption of pellets at this setting for an approximate "per hour" feed rate.

The contenders: Somerset Pellets - Found at most Menards locally - $194/ton everyday price - $174.50/ton typical sale price
Pennywise Pellets - Found at ONE local Menards - $194/ton everyday price - $174.50/ton typical sale price
Indeck Pellets - Found at ONE local Menards - $194/ton everyday price - $174.50/ton typical sale price
ProPellets - Found at local farm store - $194.50/ton everyday price - $169.50/ton typical sale price

10 lbs an hour on setting 3!!! Wow, What a HOG. That thing must KICK out the heat. Is your furnace ducted in parrallel with your existing furnace? Or do you have it set up as a stand alone unit.

DexterDay said:
10 lbs an hour on setting 3!!! Wow, What a HOG. That thing must KICK out the heat. Is your furnace ducted in parrallel with your existing furnace? Or do you have it set up as a stand alone unit.

It uses the same cold air return and ductwork as my LP furnace and she is a HOG. Auger speed 2 is about 5lbs per hour and it's too big of a jump between 2 and 3. The manufacturer is having his control chip reprogrammed to make it more appropriate for residential and to accept use of a thermostat. I guess for greenhouses and factories it makes sense that they were probably just cranking them wide open most of the time with no need for fine tuning and dialing in.

The Pennywise pellets have been a pleasant surprise thus far, getting up to 146deg in the tubes within 2 hours with air flow tweaked a bit. House was up to 77 degrees and I had to back the hog way down to auger speed 1....couldn't stand it in here. Outside temp upper 40's and sunny this afternoon so easy warm up today.

Pennywise testing complete and Somerset well underway.

Both are producing the same amount of heat in the heat exchange tubes at any given setting. Auger speed 3 measured 146-148 degrees in the tubes with both pellets...Somersets maintaining the consistent temperatures.

Somersets appear to be a more consistent length pellet.

Pennywise pellets have alot more dust in the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.