pellet type

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkvrgti

Mar 21, 2012
gray,maine
new to the pellet stoves? should i run 100% soft wood? or should i run a mix?

It depends on MANY factors. Availability, cost, the particular stove's burning characteristics, and the venting set-up.

IMO, get a variety of many different types and brands to test burn. Minimum of 3 bags of each.

It depends on MANY factors. Availability, cost, the particular stove's burning characteristics, and the venting set-up.

IMO, get a variety of many different types and brands to test burn. Minimum of 3 bags of each.

X2!

+1 and for stoves with dampers or combustion air trim controls you should remember every time you change brands and batches you should adjust for proper burn.

+2, I get just about every pellet I can find in my area. Just to get a feel for them. But that's just me, I like to know whats out there. Pass on the details here when I can. Sometimes a reasonably price pellet will challenge the big dogs if you do some diggin around(we call it routin-like the pigs do! >> ).

I never buy blind, After purchasing a couple of dogs that looked like a great deal, has made me look at them first. Sometimes a few times before I settle in on a purchase.

I'd add that you might want to buy some of the more expensive pellets to start. Try them out. Then you can explore mid-range products.

(One thing you can absolutely depend on in this forum is plenty of opinions about the plus and minus of just about every pellet ever made or, LOL, as the hard core types probably say, "milled"!)

I'd add that you might want to buy some of the more expensive pellets to start. Try them out. Then you can explore mid-range products.

(One thing you can absolutely depend on in this forum is plenty of opinions about the plus and minus of just about every pellet ever made or, LOL, as the hard core types probably say, "milled"!)

oh yea, opinions run rampant here, just like in life....check out the Ash Can sometime!

Reactions: smoke show
Status
Not open for further replies.