PELLET USAGE HARMN P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iceman said:
many might argue but with harman it is always better to run on stove mode......you can set your usage for temp etc.... room mode you cannot control when the sensor picks up any temp change it starts burning like mad to raise to what you have it set at... stove mode your room temp might go up or down but your usage will not change... its up to you to adjust according to what temp you want... i know in the winter i dont wanna use more than 1.5 bags a day so mine will get set to that on the coldest days..... sometimes i go to 2 bags aday (setting) for a short time (before bed and right when i get up) but that is only for 1-2 hours each way...
try setting the stove on 2.5 with a feed of 4-4.5 fan 3/4 try it see if it works and how far off from where you wanna be.... then go up .5 if you get over 3.5 turn your feed up... ideally you want the fire as close to the edge as possible without it shooting over burning pellets into the ash pan.....the closer to the edge the better the burn....but dont get burning pellets going over the edge .. if so the feed is to high

I W0NT THE PELLETS T0 BE CL0SE T0 THE EDGE 0F THE BURN P0T? THE FR0NT EDGE WHERE THE ASH FALLS 0FF? I TURN THE FEED WAY D0WN AND IT SILL KEEPS MY HOUSE AT 68. BUT USING AL0T 0F PELLETS. THE L0WER THE FEED LESS USE F PELLETS??

HEMI said:
iceman said:
many might argue but with harman it is always better to run on stove mode......you can set your usage for temp etc.... room mode you cannot control when the sensor picks up any temp change it starts burning like mad to raise to what you have it set at... stove mode your room temp might go up or down but your usage will not change... its up to you to adjust according to what temp you want... i know in the winter i dont wanna use more than 1.5 bags a day so mine will get set to that on the coldest days..... sometimes i go to 2 bags aday (setting) for a short time (before bed and right when i get up) but that is only for 1-2 hours each way...
try setting the stove on 2.5 with a feed of 4-4.5 fan 3/4 try it see if it works and how far off from where you wanna be.... then go up .5 if you get over 3.5 turn your feed up... ideally you want the fire as close to the edge as possible without it shooting over burning pellets into the ash pan.....the closer to the edge the better the burn....but dont get burning pellets going over the edge .. if so the feed is to high
iceman, just curious how small a fire your getting on 2.5?....i've noticed anything under 3 is very small, and not much heat

my fire on 2.5 isnt gigantic like if on 5 or 6 but it isnt "in " the bottom of the burn pot... thats what i am trying to say on stove use the feed to adjust fire height as well as output with the number setting... on 2.5 you shld have the feed as high as you can turn without spillage... the harman is a very "advanced" machine.. to high and the flame wont be big to low and it will burn in the bottom of your burn pot....right now i am using okanagan pellets feed is at 4.5 and the flame is at the bottom of that compass thing in the back.. it can go as high as the middle of the compass... just try leaving your at 3 or 2.5 and see what you can do with your flame by adjusting the feed rate on stove ... you might be surprised... but remember different pellets will have diff feed rates

iceman said:
HEMI said:
iceman said:
iceman, just curious how small a fire your getting on 2.5?....i've noticed anything under 3 is very small, and not much heat

my fire on 2.5 isnt gigantic like if on 5 or 6 but it isnt "in " the bottom of the burn pot... thats what i am trying to say on stove use the feed to adjust fire height as well as output with the number setting... on 2.5 you shld have the feed as high as you can turn without spillage... the harman is a very "advanced" machine.. to high and the flame wont be big to low and it will burn in the bottom of your burn pot....right now i am using okanagan pellets feed is at 4.5 and the flame is at the bottom of that compass thing in the back.. it can go as high as the middle of the compass... just try leaving your at 3 or 2.5 and see what you can do with your flame by adjusting the feed rate on stove ... you might be surprised... but remember different pellets will have diff feed rates
good info thanks

iceman said:

I have my feed on 7 and the stove on 2.5 and I still can't get my pellets to feed that far up...

THE ROOSTER said:
iceman said:

I have my feed on 7 and the stove on 2.5 and I still can't get my pellets to feed that far up...

depending on what pellets it may not reach the edge... mine is about maybe 1.5 ~ away from the edge... what you dont want is the pellets burning way down in the burn pot... turn your feed up until when the auger is turning you will see pellets shooting over the edge( burning pellets) they will kind jump from the fire out and you can see them below burning in the ash bucket when that is happening every time the auger feeds (it might only be 3-4 pieces but that x the turning 4-5 x a minute adds up) your feed is to high.......

#### update#### mine is on 2.5 (a little under) and 4.5 for feed my flame is consistantly in the middle of the compass thing not lower as i previously posted.... this setting is getting me a bag a day maybe little more.. (24-27hrs) ...... today it is very windy in the northeast and temps in the 20s wind chills 0s -0s

that feed rate should be good up to prolly 3.5-4 anything over that i would increase feed rate to at least 5.5 or more, agian follow the "popping pellet overboard method"

### remember##
harmans are automatic so if you feed to much it will throttle down the combustion air a bit to keep the temp at whatever the stove temp setting is.. for ex. 150-180
so the key is to try to find a feed rate that will give you flame /heat and not soot ... my feed rate is middle to high so the range of 150-180 i am gonna be on the higher end at 2.5 ... for those of you who set it low (feed rate) at say 2.5 you can expect to be at the 150ish mark (these numbers are not accurate just using them as an example) and the other factor is how hot are your pellets..
but remember you have to find a sweet spot.... if you burn 2 bags a day find out where on stove temp 2 bags a day is (my guess is somewhere around 5) leave it there , then tweak your feed rate (as i explained) then adjust your fan..... ---set it and forget it.... this is the MOST eff way to run a harman .... its a lot easier on the stove = less use of the ignitor etc... its just on cruise control... and try to use the same pellet consistantly to avoid more tweaking.... if you change pellets check your stove...
i hope this helps you guys and please give me some feed back if it worked for you or not..
on a day like today in NE , if you have gas or oil heat, and a decent furnace you are prolly better off to use it for today either by itself or in conjunction with your stove.... theres no need to run a stove and use 3 bags of pellets ng is cheap this year and at the price we paid for pellets 1 bag is almost 2 gallons ... and oil is a higher btu rating... so by all means dont be afraid to run it for a day or 12 hrs whatever .. it will save you money in the end

Having a super insulated house must make a huge difference because I only burn a bag or less per day to keep 1300 square feet at 70 here in Maine with my Harman P68

Steveo said:
Having a super insulated house must make a huge difference because I only burn a bag or less per day to keep 1300 square feet at 70 here in Maine with my Harman P68

it makes a huge, huge difference!
and your fans can prolly move the air a lot better than a smaller stove!
a p68 is overkill for 1300 sq ft of a super insulated house..... but thats how i would do it too:)

Status
Not open for further replies.