pellet usage with 2 stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
When I had just my Quad AE downstairs as my main source of heat, I usually went through 4 tons from mid October to mid April. Now that I have the Harman upstairs to help out I am thinking that the AE will run on low to heat the downstairs and probably not very long. I am wondering if you guys think that I will use about the same amount of pellets with 2 stoves or more than usual. Anybody else with 2 stoves, what have you experienced with pellet usage?

I'm voting a wee bit more! If the upstairs was slightly cooler than your liking, You'll have some extra umph and you'll probably use it to keep it a tick warmer upstairs. Get your usual, But don't be surprised if you need to fetch some more towards the end of the season!

Think of it like pay, When you have a little bit more its pretty easy to spend. :cool:

When I got 2 stoves I know I used more. Like jtakeman said, you can keep the house warmer now so you will = more pellets...

On average, I go through about 20-30 bags more than I did with just one stove.
The 2nd stove only gets fired up when the outside temps dip below zero.

due to variables like home size and insulation......YMMV

I use 2 pellet stoves, but only use one or the other....

I used 4-4.5 ton a year with just the Quad...

I used just over 2 ton last year with the addition of the Pellet furnace.

So my usage decreased with 2 stoves (using only one or the other). When above 30° its on the Quad. When below 30° its the Fahrenheits duty!

But...............

But I also added a Woodstove last season (right before I installed the Fahrenheit) and burned 3 cord of wood. ;)

My honest guess is it will be more. But only slightly....

I use 2 pellet stoves, but only use one or the other....

I used 4-4.5 ton a year with just the Quad...

I used just over 2 ton last year with the addition of the Pellet furnace.

So my usage decreased with 2 stoves (using only one or the other). When above 30° its on the Quad. When below 30° its the Fahrenheits duty!

But...............

But I also added a Woodstove last season (right before I installed the Fahrenheit) and burned 3 cord of wood. ;)

My honest guess is it will be more. But only slightly....
Slightly means an extra 2 tons;)

Thanks for all the reply's, I was thinking possibly slightly more as well. I don't have a problem with that, still cheaper than my electric alternative. Only went through 2 ton last year, probably won't be that lucky this year again. :mad:

Last year was the first year with my second stove. I went from 4 to 6, but I used no oil and was toasty and happy!

Tom C.

Double up on the stock and maybe you'll have some left over for next season ... bear making a hasty exit > > > > > > >
I sure hope it isn't that cold this winter that I need 8 tons. :eek:

I don't have two stoves, so maybe I'm all wind. But I don't run my stove on low because it gets dirty too fast. Perhaps if both stoves are on thermostats, they could shut down and back on instead of running on low. Don't really know, except that if I had two manual stoves, I am sure I would need to bring in a lot more supply. The other factor is the wife would love to keep the house at 80, and a second stove would be all she would need to do it. If she sees the wind blow or snow on the ground, she'll say she is cold.

I don't have two stoves, so maybe I'm all wind. But I don't run my stove on low because it gets dirty too fast. Perhaps if both stoves are on thermostats, they could shut down and back on instead of running on low. Don't really know, except that if I had two manual stoves, I am sure I would need to bring in a lot more supply. The other factor is the wife would love to keep the house at 80, and a second stove would be all she would need to do it. If she sees the wind blow or snow on the ground, she'll say she is cold.

Hey, don't let your wife out to visit others too often or there'll be a major pellet shortage, they give others ideas. You could keep the blinds down to prevent the boss from seeing what is going on outside. Can't waste fuel like that, think of the all of the CO2 you are dumping into the atmosphere.

Hey, don't let your wife out to visit others too often or there'll be a major pellet shortage, they give others ideas. You could keep the blinds down to prevent the boss from seeing what is going on outside. Can't waste fuel like that, think of the all of the CO2 you are dumping into the atmosphere.
too funny;lol The wife is more apt to have it her way. Best for me to win at the things I might have a chance at. I don't have the second stove so, for now, I can keep the pellet use down. Stove is located in the family room and she seldoms goes there. My office/den is just off the family room and that is where I tend to hang out.

Weel, for me it is a compromise, If I want to keep the central air on and be cool in the summer, I need to keep her warm in the winter, even if it means its like we are living in the Tropics. >>

Reactions: DexterDay
Weel, for me it is a compromise, If I want to keep the central air on and be cool in the summer, I need to keep her warm in the winter, even if it means its like we are living in the Tropics. >>

Well it seems like you have already lost the battle, best ye bulk up on the pellets and welcome to Ecuador.

More. Not much, say 10 bags out of three tons, but more.

Status
Not open for further replies.