1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    I live in ny and wonder about how much pellets to store i have a 1800 sqaure foot ranch and insulation is average I will probably start the stove around november and and run for say 4 months i know there are alot of variables that will effect the amount but looking to get a general idea i currently have 1 ton but know that is not enough looking to get another ton delivered. should 2 tons be enough or 3 thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Millsk

Millsk Member

Loc:
    Eastern ct
    4 tons. I have a 2000 sf house in CT. Different stove but i burnt 4 tons last year.
  3. PJPellet

PJPellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western NY
    IMO three tons minimum and I personally would go with four tons if you have the storage space.
  4. BradH70

BradH70 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West NH
    Asking how many tons of pellets are required to heat a house is like asking a financial adviser how much money you will need to retire.

There are a lot if variables to consider:
    How much can you store at a time.
    Climate.
    How warm you plan to keep your house.
    Is the stove primary heat.
    Will it run 24/7.
    Type of pellets.......

Some people use only 1 or 2 tons, some people use as many as 6 or 7 or more.

It is always better to have more then you think you will need. You definitely will not find any pellet deals mid March if you run out.

I used 4 tons last season but stocked up with 6 tons for this season just in case it gets extra cold and if I have pellets left over at the end of the season they will just get added to the 6 tons for the following season.
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    I have a 2,000 sq ft split entry home and use 3 tons in plus or minus in a winter. So I suspect you need 2 more tons to be sure.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Average usage is 3 tons. Get 4 to be on the safe side....you can always use them next year if not burned.
  7. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    ok thanks
  8. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Between the P43 & the P61A, we burned just south of 6 tons last winter & that was a mild one. I have 10 tons in queue for this winter & am hoping to make it thru with some leftovers for the next one. Average winters up here cause most folks to burn 3 - 4 Tons...
  9. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    Most people say 3-4 tons.

I went with 5 because we have a long/hard winter up here...

1800SF / Recent usage / Room temp / 75F / Been 20's to 40's.
    9/29 1 bag
    10/2 1 bag
    10/5 1 bag
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Approx 2K sq-ft here and my usage is under 4 tons. 4 tons is a safe bet...........

Us pellet pigs just stuff our bunkers to the rafters, You can never have too many pellets! ::-)
  11. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    More than 3, less than 4.

Tom C.
  12. jim3854

jim3854 Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    Isnt it always winter up there ?
  13. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
  14. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    This is from an Oinker with a small bunker, he would really like to be a hog though.

Now I say if you have room for 6 start there and you'll likely survive the winter even if it is cold and windy with a comfortable surplus.

But that is just from someone who doesn't want to rely on anyone getting a loaded truck up the driveway when it is covered in snow and ice. My driveway starts going downhill then it goes up hill and takes a fairly sharp right turn below the crest of the hill.
  15. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Between 3 and 4 as noted above.

Its better to buy now and get a decent deal and have leftovers (cheaper to burn pellets than LP, HHO, Elec, Etc) than to have to buy at an insane price or burn LP, HHO, Elec, Etc....

If you have the room. Get a couple more. The more you use it, the more money it will save you :)
  16. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Exactly -- better to have 4 tons now than to come up one ton short while it's still heating season.
  17. midfielder

midfielder Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    Ayuh, and here in New Hampshah we get 6 weeks of summah and nine months of dahn poor sleddin'...
  18. kcellwood

kcellwood Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    midfielder, you must be a Mainer to have a accent like that!!!!
  19. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    Now this is a wise man! He is the tribal elder that you go to when you need advice.

Tom C.