Pellet Vent Options: Duravent, Selkirk, Other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ossy

Jul 13, 2008
Central Maine
I am looking to purchase a vent kit for my stove in the next week. There are several considerations that I am looking at with the different products, namely:

1. Selkirk Direc Temp Kit, Up and Out: I like this kit because the OAk is part of the vent pipe...it uses the chamber between the inner and outer liner to bring the fresh air into the pellet stove. I like the idea of not having 2 seperate holes in the wall. My only question is there any draw back to this design?...leakage? www.northweststoves.ca/pdf/selkirk/b-selkirk-direct-temp-pellet.pdf

2. Dura Vent Pro-Apparently an adjustable pipe section can be used as part of this setup....I like this in case I decide to replace/upgrade to another stove in the future...I really don't want to have to do a considerable amount of adjusting with respect to the location of the wall thimble ...I would rather take it up in the pipe itself...again, my question is what pros/cons are there with this setup?

Finally, anyone other manufacturers out there with a reasonable price kit?...with the features above?

Thanks to all for feedback..

Ossy

I have not sold or installed the selkirk but I am a bit leary of it in principal. Drawing cold air around your hot exhaust pipe will lower the internal temps it is possible in theory to create cresote in the exhaust pipe. I am sure it in highly unlikely but I would say possible. I have not heard of any issues or real world problems just something to think about. To begin with you shouldn't have any issues, over time your stove's combustion fan will slow and possibly the fuel will not burn completely causing smoke. If the vent is too cool it can condense just as a wood stove pipe. I hope I didn't start a long argument here but just a thought.

I stock Dura Vent Pellet Vent Pro. I can help, give a call

Eric
330-876-0200

I installed the direct temp 4 years ago, no problems so far. I like it for the same reasons you've mentioned. The pipe has the impregnated rope seals and I haven't had leakage or build up at all.

On the selkirk direct temp you don't have to draw the fresh air in thru the outer chamber, and the clearance to combustibles remains one inch.

kimeric said:
On the selkirk direct temp you don't have to draw the fresh air in thru the outer chamber, and the clearance to combustibles remains one inch.

My local inspector has indicated that the minimum clearance to combustables should be governed by the stove specifications, rather than the pipe specifications. The stove requires PL pipe. Is the direct temp rated as PL pipe - its not obvious from Selkirk's site? Is there any documentation that would support a 1" pipe clearance to combustables where the stove (austroflamm) manual says 3" and the pipe says 1"?

EddyBurns

eddyburns said:
kimeric said:

My local inspector has indicated that the minimum clearance to combustables should be governed by the stove specifications, rather than the pipe specifications. The stove requires PL pipe. Is the direct temp rated as PL pipe - its not obvious from Selkirk's site? Is there any documentation that would support a 1" pipe clearance to combustables where the stove (austroflamm) manual says 3" and the pipe says 1"?

EddyBurns

from their website, it's the best i can come up with

Minimum Clearance and Framing
Model DT has a 1” minimum airspace clearance to
combustibles requirement when used as L Vent. This
applies whether DT is being used to bring outside air to
the pellet appliance or not.
“Combustibles” include framing lumber, drywall, plaster,
plywood, paneling and other building materials.
For penetrating walls, ceiling joists or roof joists the
required framing dimensions are 8-5/8” x 8-5/8”. This
will provide a 1” clearance for a properly centered vent.
NOTE: While these instructions focus on proper
installation of DT when outside air is being drawn to
appliance, if other sources of combustion air are provided,
DT may be used with the combustion air passageway
blocked, still at 1” airspace clearance.

eddyburns said:
kimeric said:

EddyBurns
Technically speaking DT has a 3" clearance because it's a pellet pipe inside another pipe (kind of like in a lined flue) so the clearance should be calculated from the interior venting pipe wall for purposes of meeting the stove's requirement as you have the space between that and the outer wall (the outside air channel) as part of the overall clearance from combustibles.

On the other hand that will require an inspector who's willing to look at the intent of the rule and not the letter and I'll bet you that yours will take the safer course of applying the 3" standard to the exterior of the Selkirk pipe. He's got nothing to gain by doing anything else (like using the Selkirk 1" spec) and a lot to lose if your house burns down and the insurance company comes asking. He's not in the business of going out on a limb. There's a saying about fighting city hall that probably applies here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.