Pellet Vent Pro Oring/gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpcollen1

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2007
Western CT
Took my pipe apart for a renovation. Looking at the pipe, on of the orings was split and needs to be replaced. Where do I get replacements? I could not find any on the sites where I purchased the pipe. Not sure why the oring split after one short season of use and only taking it apart one time but it did.

CTwoodburner,

I had one split too! I called the local stove shops and no one knew what I was talking about. I called Duravant and they shipped me one free of charge. I couldn't wait that long as its my only heat source, So I went to the nearest shop that had PVP and bought the cheapest piece they had with the gasket. It turned out to be a 6" length of pipe.

Personally I think this was one of the leaks that bugged me. I think the thing split as soon as I twisted it together. When I did my spring cleaning it wasn't split but it did have a nick in it. I checked the connection on the other piece and the seem was bent out. I straightened it and the joint has been good so far. Make sure you check the piece that connects to the one that split.

Coat the o-ring with a thin coating of the Hi-temp Never Seize paste before connecting them, and also the opposite pipe piece where the o-ring will make contact....it will make parts slide and turn smooth and hopefully will stop o-ring cuts/rips. Also will make future removal MUCH easier, I hope.

Where do I get the hi-temp never seize paste? The stove shop or the auto parts store?

While I know it is not relevant to the OP's questions, and too late for anyone to switch pipe, I consider this a cautionary tale. The PVP O-rings are the reason I did NOT go with PVP, but instead went with Excel.

The Excel O-ring is very thick, and best of all removable.

Not sure why Duravent didn't take the same approach.

Duravent said they would mail the oring as a warranty replacement out today so i guess I will just wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.