Pellet vent pro question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

High Altitude

Jul 12, 2008
Colorado
I was reading the duravent pelletvent pro installation instructions and it says that the newer vent pipe has an o-ring gasket
on the outside of the inner liner in the female end of the pipe section.

I just picked up some pelletvent pro locally and I don't see any O-rings. It is definitely PVP though.

Any suggestions?

Is the o ring something new and maybe I got some older stock?

The old stuff had a rope gasket. The new Pro venting we get does not have any gasket.

There is a gasket inside but it is hard to see unless someone had pulled it out. All the pipe I have used had one in.

Eric

High Altitude said:
I was reading the duravent pelletvent pro installation instructions and it says that the newer vent pipe has an o-ring gasket
on the outside of the inner liner in the female end of the pipe section.

I just picked up some pelletvent pro locally and I don't see any O-rings. It is definitely PVP though.

Any suggestions?

Is the o ring something new and maybe I got some older stock?
Funny you should mention this. I was reading the same thing a while back and also got the new Pellet Vent Pro stuff with the part Numbers beginning with PVP- ??. I dont see any thing in there at all that looks like an O-ring. I've even looked at it under magnification to be sure I was not missing it due to crappy vision. I wonder if this is defective. I actually got a 6" section that was an incomplete part that had no threads formed in the female end. They sent me a new one said just keep the bad one. Now I'm wondering because they claim you don't need sealant except for the joint at the stove outlet. True?

I had a nice conversation today with an engineer at duravent.

They are coming out with a new design for pelletvent PRO. It will have an o-ring around the outside of the inner pipe on the female end. It is not being shipped yet and I was never told any dates.

The new pipe will have different part numbers and the current pelletvent pro will be compatible with the new stuff as far as fitting together but you will only get the benefit of the o-ring if using the next generation pipe with another piece of next generation pipe.

The new pelletvent PRO has an indentation for the O-ring to set in and is lubricated so that it won't roll out of the indentation during install.

Some how the PDF instructions file was updated for the next generation pipe even though it isn't out yet.

I was also told that the current venting pipe "shouldn't" leak but if the exhaust fan in the stove is too strong that it might and it would be a good idea to silicon the pipes (in addition to the stove connection) if it is an inside installation.

High Altitude said:
I had a nice conversation today with an engineer at duravent.

They are coming out with a new design for pelletvent PRO. It will have an o-ring around the outside of the inner pipe on the female end. It is not being shipped yet and I was never told any dates.

The new pipe will have different part numbers and the current pelletvent pro will be compatible with the new stuff as far as fitting together but you will only get the benefit of the o-ring if using the next generation pipe with another piece of next generation pipe.

The new pelletvent PRO has an indentation for the O-ring to set in and is lubricated so that it won't roll out of the indentation during install.

Some how the PDF instructions file was updated for the next generation pipe even though it isn't out yet.

I was also told that the current venting pipe "shouldn't" leak but if the exhaust fan in the stove is too strong that it might and it would be a good idea to silicon the pipes (in addition to the stove connection) if it is an inside installation.
Thank you for clearing that up.

The current pipe does leak... thats probably why they are making it with an o-ring. We did a few installs without caulking the pipe as they suggest and we had to re-do them caulking every joint.

I Install, sell and service pellet units at rockys in augusta. The best pellet pipe around is the direct temp by selkirk. they took a simple direct vent gas pipe and beefed up the interior exhaust pipe. the reult is a pipe that is larger than most, ( 6 5/8 inches + a 1 inch air gap for pass thrus) but never leaks and is easy to clean, as it requires no silicone in the joints. it looks cleaner with the larger cast iron units, as a 6" inch pipe looks better coming off the stove than a 3" pipe, and is easy to install. direct venting in a corner requires more space, but the few inches are a small price to pay for the better burning and easier cleaning you get with preheated combustion air, and snap lock construction. the initial starter kits are higher priced, but the cheaper cost for the company to manufacture one pipe for several applications makes the linear parts and elbows as cheap, or cheaper to buy than regular pellet pipe, so the cost works out to be the same overall.

yep, got my quad vented vertical with selkirk (26' of 4/6") thru the roof cost $750 but venting was on sale for 1/2 price at the time $375. Wish I could burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.