Pellet Vent proximity to electrical wires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitmo234

Dec 1, 2010
Oxford, PA
Quick question. My pellet furnace is in the basement and the wall it exits out of has electrical wire running near it. I noticed today (normally i clean from outside, but today i looked at the exterior of the pipe to check for damage), that the electrical wires that come from the breaker box are about 2-3 inches from the vent.

The area around wires and the wires are black from soot, when i touch it and them the are cool to the touch but i get some black. i think this is from when the furnace was new, the first few fires smoke would leak from teh joints in the pipe for a few minutes then stop.

Is this acceptable? AGain, they're cool to the touch but its bothering me after noticing them today and I took a spare sheet of metal (left over from the duct work) and put that over the wires as a heat shield, its cool to the touch as well, but im worries about fire risk.

I may remove teh holder thats got them in place and run them lower on the wall, so theres more like a foot gap between.

It depends on the type of venting you have. If it's Simpson Dura-Vent, I believe it needs 3" inches of clearance to combustibles and the "Pro" version is only 1".

I went downstairs and handled it two-fold... one I removed the staples fastening the wire into the frame that was about an inche from the pellet vent and moved them down to about 3 inches away. Two, I read the labels on the pipe, some still had them on, others i read the spares....

They say Duravent 1" clearance to cumbustables in the US, 3" in canada. I made some adjustments that helps me feel better about it. I also wiped down the wires to ensure it was SOOT and not burn. All were well

Status
Not open for further replies.