Pellet Virgin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuadraBurner

Oct 7, 2009
Western ME
My new Mt. Vernon is scheduled for install on Monday. I plan to pick up 5 bags each of Corinth and Okanagan to compare before buying in bulk. This is my first pellet stove, so I am pretty excited! I'll post pics and opinions of the two pellets next week.

QuadraBurner said:
My new Mt. Vernon is scheduled for install on Monday. I plan to pick up 5 bags each of Corinth and Okanagan to compare before buying in bulk. This is my first pellet stove, so I am pretty excited! I'll post pics and opinions of the two pellets next week.

IMO, forget the Corinth. If you can get the Okanagan at the same price, or close, buy them! One of the best pellets out there.

$260 for Corinth vs. $289 for Okies (both proces include delivery). I guess I need to determine if they are worth an extra 30 bucks.

I've never burned the Okanagan's.... I've heard great things.... if they are anything like Spruce Pointe (Which I burn) they will be amazing.

QuadraBurner said:

I think your going to love your Mt Vernon. In the half season I've had mine, the only thing I've burned are the NEWP hardwood (tan bag, red lettering). They burn hot enough but they have more ash than I was expecting. I'm on my last half ton, going to try softwood next (probably Cleanfire from woodpellets.com)

Fired mine up the night before last. Couldn't hold out any longer.

QuadraBurner said:
$260 for Corinth vs. $289 for Okies (both proces include delivery). I guess I need to determine if they are worth an extra 30 bucks.
$289 for okies deliverd IMO is an excellent price.

Gweeper64 said:
....... going to try softwood next (probably Cleanfire from woodpellets.com).

Gweeper, did you buy your CleanFires yet? Just a note: they make softwood and hardwood pellets.

macman said:
Gweeper64 said:
....... going to try softwood next (probably Cleanfire from woodpellets.com).

Gweeper, did you buy your CleanFires yet? Just a note: they make softwood and hardwood pellets.

No, not yet. Luckily for me, prices have been stable this season. Going to order tonight or this weekend. Pelletsales only shows the softwoods as available in my area, which is fine; that's what I wanted to try. The LGs are marginally cheaper but the Cleanfires have a higher BTU rating listed, hence my choice to try those for the $6/ton difference in price. I've heard and read from other Mt Vernon owners that it really likes softwood.

mnkywrnch said:
QuadraBurner said:
This is good to hear. Another dealer in the area is selling them for $295 and they don't deliver...

QuadraBurner said:
mnkywrnch said:
QuadraBurner said:
This is good to hear. Another dealer in the area is selling them for $295 and they don't deliver...

Quadra, what was the base pellet price w/o delivery for the Okies?

macman said:
Not sure, price was advertised as delivered. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a few bags, so I can tell you then.

QuadraBurner said:
macman said:
Not sure, price was advertised as delivered. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a few bags, so I can tell you then.

Well, if you figure an approx. delivery cost of about $35/ton, you'd be getting the Oakies at about $254/ton....that is an EXCELLENT price, as mnkywrnch states above.

IMO, I'd be JUMPING on that deal for as many tons as you can afford/store.

Quadburner I have a Mt Vernon AE. Going on 2 years.It will burn anything you put in it! It is just a matter of how much ash and cleaning you want to put up with. I have I just finished 5 bags of spruce pointes. I like them! I can get them for 269.00 per ton delivered. I also just picked up 3 bags of Okanagans today. I am burning my first bag as I write this. They are 284.50 per ton not delivered. It is sad for me to say, but hardwood pellets made in the northeast can't compete with Canadian softwood pellets.
Havlat..how long have been burning spruce pointes? Have they been consistent for you? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on two pallets (2.6 tons I think) for 269.00 per ton delivered.

Spruce Pointes are amazing. The plant is located across the street from where I work.... You just go pay...and they load them into your truck.... This is my first year burning them... Just got all my ducks in a row to install the stove in the house. (boom town... good luck getting anyone to install anything took 2 years.) Anyways, I've talked to alot of folks that have pellet stoves in the area, and they all swear by them.... The dealers all get their pellets for local sale from the plant.... The consistency seems pretty good, I've burned bags from 7 different production runs, and they are all the same.... low fines.... consistent size, color... low ash.... ect.

I've been running my stove on low/med for 2 weeks, and burned about 8 bags so far... and haven't had to clean the glass. Also Im getting great heat, stove is installed in a finished/well insulated basement...and my furnace has ran for 30 minutes in 2 weeks my house is a bi-level 1300 square feet per floor. Its been about 14F here, my upstairs thermostat doesn't dip past 68.

Needless to say I'm pretty happy so far. You should get them, I bet theres little difference between the 2.

Wow, Dysarts quoted me $280 for Corinth... same price as Energex (both w/o delivery). I opted for Energex.

I wish I would have taken pics of the pallet sitting in the Tundra.... it was quite the site. Maybe the next one....

pellet burner said:
It is sad for me to say, but hardwood pellets made in the northeast can't compete with Canadian softwood pellets.

Its not the pellet manufactors can't compete, Its the fiber that can't compete. You can't put crap in to get quality out. There are a few hardwoods made that are very good. There not in the Northeast though. Quality fiber makes a quality pellet. I have felt for a while now that the softwoods from up north had an edge because of there quality fiber.

just my 2
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.