Pellet vs Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What does everyone think about 2 seperate forums rooms for "Wood Burners"?

• Wood room?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwbj

Oct 11, 2007
Ringoes NJ
I posted a question in the "Suggestion Box" to see what everyone thought about
possibly having 2 rooms for "Wood Burners". Let's see what everyone thinks about it.

Wood users vs Pellet users

I'm confused (but that's easy to do sometimes) by the phrasing of the question. Should it be: "Should there be 2 seperate stove rooms?, and a "yes or no" option in the poll.

Craig said he is thinking about it.

I'm against it. Even though I'm a wood burner, I like seeing the discussion on pellets, and I would not likely read the pellet forum if seperate. Maybe a color code to help distinguish some how.

Just doing a survey to see which room may draw more attention, that's all.
It's not a "YES or NO" response.

bmwbj said:

I would suggest that you edit the title of the poll to reflect that if you can.

I think the problem with having two different rooms is that you would need to visit both anyway or risk missing a lot of useful and interesting information that both types of stove have in common. E.g.: hearth design, clearances and other safety and code issues, how to move heat through the house, etc. Even if you created a separate room for those topics you will still miss this type of information when it is incidental to the discussion of one type of stove or another.

Finally, where would you post the annual newbie question: "Wood versus Pellet"?

~Cath

Cath, maybe I worded it incorrectly, but I can't change the poll wording, only the post wording.
The administrator had suggested posting a poll question to see if the popularity of 2 rooms may
be worth doing, that's all.
I know some of the questions and concerns may be related to both "Pellet and Wood", but it may cut back
on the amount of "Traffic" in 1 room only.
I only posted the poll question to see the amount of different users for comparison. :red:

bmwbj said:

Actually, it is a yes or no question. Your original question was should there be a room for wood burners and a room for pellet burners, which is definitely a yes or no answer. The question as to whether one burns wood or pellets is a separate issue. I'm not trying to bust your pellets on this, but... ;-)

My vote is NO; I think they should remain combined. As Warren pointed out, I would likely ignore the pellet room all together and then miss out on some good topics. Cath also brings up a good point, there are always threads that discuss both wood and pellets; where would those go?

Warren said:
I'm against it. Even though I'm a wood burner, I like seeing the discussion on pellets, and I would not likely read the pellet forum if seperate.

Same here

Even though I am a newbie pellet burner, I read the posts about wood burning
and learn a great deal from the posts. I do not think they should be separated.

Separate them, wood and pellet stoves are two different animals, this forum is growing too fast and I don't have the time to keep up and read everything.

Does Vogalzang make a pellet stove? that might be my deciding factor

Warren said:
I'm against it. Even though I'm a wood burner, I like seeing the discussion on pellets, and I would not likely read the pellet forum if seperate. Maybe a color code to help distinguish some how.

warren , thats genius!, hope web sees that i think a color coded or similar mark would be a cool idea

as for the topic,its a tough one , i for example build both wood and pellet stoves so i would definately frequent both, having all in one does make that a bit easier for me, but not insurmountable, im sure that there are other talented members in here in both fields who feel the same way. personally i think that warren hit on a good idea there, this would more easily identify pellet v/s wood threads for folks who are looking for specific info. so in my mind if this is an easy compremise, i think it may be a good way to go.

Can somebody fix this darn poll.

I say separate.

How hard is it to click the mouse and go into the other room. You don't have to stop reading pellet topics!

Well guys dont forget you can have 3 topics.....Pellet & Wood and then general......So you can see posts in the general then go into pellet or wood for more specifics?

I would vote for separate as well and not
just the pellet/wood but all stove types. The thing is,
at some point when this forum grows, Craig
will probably have to tidy things up and make
the sections here more specific. If it were me,
I'd rather do a little moving around now as opposed
to doing a lot of thread moving later.
I don't know the capabilities of this forum software,
but I've seen some forums that use a letter in the post
title to represent what type of post it is.
ie: [P] for pellet [W] for wood stove, [C] for coal, and so on.

See example here -->>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/forsale

Lots of different ways to categorize, but the most important thing is
to make it easy for people to navigate and find what they need.
Personally I like the way they've got the corn forum set up.
Sure it may be more work for the forum owner, but
thems the breaks when you want to have a successful web site.

Just my 2c.

I tend to favor seperate in some respects - I'm finding it a bit of an overload keeping up - there were FOUR PAGES of new or added threads since I did my last read through starting yesterday morning - I wouldn't mind having some method that cut back on the volume I needed to read... Perhaps a three way split would be a better version, "General hearth" questions, "Pellet problems" for things like diagnostics and venting on pellet stoves, and "Wood problems" for the same on wood stoves.

Gooserider

So how far do you keep separating things? Wood, pellet, gas, inserts, freestanding, venting? They are all hearth related. Folks are coming here for help and answers. There is a lot of crossover wisdom between fuel options. Even though the forum is a lot busier recently, I kind of like the cross-pollenization.

Status
Not open for further replies.