Pellet Wars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruising a few threads sparked me to look into current local prices. I was shocked, I am almost regretting my early buy, but not quite. The Big box stores are sitting tight at $4.48/bag $222.00 per ton, no further discounts. Two local independents are running at $185/ton, only ton lots ($3.70/bag), but Sutherlands is really pushing the limits, $3.49/ bag and $179/pallet (60-63 bags). That is the best price I have seen since my Summer buy. Last year this time all were in the 4.80-5.50 range.

I did not give the brands on purpose, they are all decent burning pellets Western Made soft/hardwood mixes and work well in lots of stoves. I want to avoid the brand sniping that usually accompanies a post like this. Suffice it to say, all but a few here would be satisfied burning any of them.

Oh, one stove store is still stuck at $5.95, but they sell to their customers only :blank:

A local pellet seller has the local Niagra hardwoods @ $200.00 with Rocky Mountain's @ $220.00. I paid $197.00 for my pine/spruce blend Uncle Jed's last week.

Sawdust and chip prices are actually pretty high this year with demand pretty high... but some pellet mills here are paying $8.00 to $10.00 per ton for sawdust plus freight... with chips going for as high as $30.00 per ton (going to the paper mills).

Last year raw materials were lower with prices higher... go figure.

Everything around here is still 279-299. I am going to need another ton and am waiting for the prices to drop. Doesn't look like its going to happen.

This area sitting @ 300 to 350 + taxes. Doubt they will go any lower..................

You talking to me?? Currently burning cornith not too bad but the heat isn't what I expected. Got a ton of okies and a ton of rocky mountain. I'll break into those once it get hard into the heating season. I burn't cubex for years but they are 315-325 if you can find them. Bearfoots burn nice in this stove also.

Ya I know where those holes are. If you pull off the end cover on the right side you can brush/vac that area real good. I have too say I probally have close to 100 tons through this stove with no issues.

Flammam said:
Everything around here is still 279-299. I am going to need another ton and am waiting for the prices to drop. Doesn't look like its going to happen.

no, even in your area, the prices are down.

Just called around monday last week. 279 at home depot for some off brand 315 for cubex at Berardston farmers store. Local Agway and stove shops are all the same price for anything good.

Pellet wars are great for us buying pellets. Bad for the sellers trying to make a living off of selling them. Kroozer and littlesmokey, You have some very nice prices out there. I haven't seen those in a very long time. Those Rockies are $285 at pellet house's and $250 at Bigbox stores(less on multiple ton purchase's).

With the price of the fossil fuel and the fact that everyone has pellets to sell this year. Its no wonder the prices are dropping. This fall Lowes had there pellets for $299($6.00 a bag) a ton. But they were not moving all that fast. They dropped them to $250 a ton plus a special on multiple ton purchase and they could not keep them in stock. Our pellet house's have also responded with sales and price drops. Seems they get the hint that we are not willing to purchase them for more than $250/ton.

Will they go even lower? I sure hope so!

$239 a ton for Rockies at Home Depot. Just don't think they'll fit in my Pathfinder.

mattson70 said:
$239 a ton for Rockies at Home Depot. Just don't think they'll fit in my Pathfinder.

IMO, that's a real good price for Rockies.....I'd get 'em if I could.

I would like to buy a ton at a time but I don't have a vehicle or trailer capable of hauling them home. I can fit about 20 bags in my pathfinder and Home Depot will only sell them by the ton at that price. I need to hit up one of my friends, he's got a F-350 and a trailer. I suppose a case of beer thrown his way would get me access to it. Menards here had Rockies on "sale" here recently for $4.27 a bag so I bought 20 bags which won't last long with our highs in the single digits. Off to the liquor store I suppose.....

Prices are all over the place here in eastern CT. I've seen anywhere from $240 to $299. I can get the Turman pellets for $268/ton which I loved, but the delivery is holding me back. I should have enough to get through the winter, but I hoping I'll still be able to get the Turmans in the spring. Can't predict what things will be like then...

mattson70 said:
.....I need to hit up one of my friends, he's got a F-350 and a trailer. I suppose a case of beer thrown his way would get me access to it.......

There you go....at that price, get 2 tons. 1 in the truck, one on the trailer.....then go buy the beer.

Too bad you didn't scap-up a couple tons at the $213/ton price you mentioned at Menards.....that is a killer price for Rockies, IMO.

Dodges Agway in Hampton Falls, NH has Oakies for $250 a ton, Cubex for $330 a ton, and Spruce Point for $330 a ton.

Chan

Hey folks, don't want to be a hall monitor, but I sort of started this thread to see if others were experiencing the same diving prices as me. Seems to now be a recounting of the current prices, weeeeeellllllll........what were they last year, last month, two years ago????? What changes are there in your market? We are pretty much down 25% over last years high, and there are pellets everywhere. January 1st last year they were almost all gone. What's happenning in your neck of the woods?

Same or very close to the prices from last year. available quantity looks a lot higher.

Pellets are available every where and the prices are $25/ton less minimal. Depends where you look. Some have tried to stay the same, But there products seem slow to move.

Big boxes have the best deals(even better on the multi-ton purchase's), But some of the pellet house's have responded with there prices trying to compete. Hoping it drops lower yet! I like spending less when there's less to spend, If you know what I mean! I am sure the price of fossil fuels and this slow economy are to blame for the sag in pellet prices.

Good for the pellet buyer!

I had some delivered on November 20 and they were $26/ ton less than I purchased delivered pellets for in January and that's comparing premium to super premium.

I know if I want to chance some poorly stored big box handled pellets I'd likely be able to shave another $20/$25 a ton off again.

So while there has been a drop around these parts there are literally 100's of tons sitting within a couple of miles that aren't moving all that fast. I've got to pick up a few bags of various brands to try after the holidays when it is really nice to stay near the stove.

jtakeman said:
Pellet wars are great for us buying pellets. Bad for the sellers trying to make a living off of selling them. Kroozer and littlesmokey, You have some very nice prices out there. I haven't seen those in a very long time. Those Rockies are $285 at pellet house's and $250 at Bigbox stores(less on multiple ton purchase's).

With the price of the fossil fuel and the fact that everyone has pellets to sell this year. Its no wonder the prices are dropping. This fall Lowes had there pellets for $299($6.00 a bag) a ton. But they were not moving all that fast. They dropped them to $250 a ton plus a special on multiple ton purchase and they could not keep them in stock. Our pellet house's have also responded with sales and price drops. Seems they get the hint that we are not willing to purchase them for more than $250/ton.

Will they go even lower? I sure hope so!
Hey Jay I noticed that you guys in CT. 3 or 4 web site just changed plus some close to me. It looks like the war is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.