Pellet/Wood Stove Mania Hitting Suburban America

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy1971

Jul 10, 2008
Orange County NY
This article depicts how heating ones home this winter is not only a concern for those scrapping by but also "Upper Middle Class" who live in Westchester County, NY. I especially found the part with the guy driving around in his Mercedes looking for wood interesting. Though oil has come down alot since it's high of $147 ($97 as of this morning). People are really worried about what heating oil is going to cost them this winter. I was one of them earlier this summer when I ordered my pellet stove. Part of me hopes that oil does not come down enough for people to move away from getting and/or using a pellet/Wood stove. I know many will say that lower oil cost will be better for the economy but how will we get off our dependence on oil if we feel no pain. IMHO high oil prices will force us to get off of oil and look for alternatives. Trust me I am far from rich and miss paying $250 per month for me and my wife to communte back and forth to work (We now pay $1000 per month and no we donot use gas guzzeling SUV's we just have long commutes). But paying more for oil forced us to look at alternatives like pellets and possibly Solar (still working on the numbers). I've gone back and forth with friends regarding drilling and we all know that it takes 2 to 3 years for that oil to hit the market if any is found at all. We also know oil is a finite resource and when it is gone it is gone. I would hate to see the pain that we feel when we pull up to a gas station and they so there is no more oil period. Well, let me get off my soap box and let you guys read this article. Like I said this is just my opinion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/nyregion/15wood.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&em;

Teddy1971 said:
I especially found the part with the guy driving around in his Mercedes looking for wood interesting.

I guess they should have thought about heating their family's homes before buying the huge "McMansion".

Or maybe even thought to themselves "what is more important, heating my home, or owning a Mercedes and "keeping up with the Jones" next door?"....we all make choices, and evidently, they made some bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.