Pelletizing / Aggregating Ash and Char

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to be able to pelletize wood ash and char (or otherwise make the materials into small compact pieces) so that I can either incorporate the ash/char into the compost windrows that I manage with a tractor loader, or spread it with a simple rotary slinger attached to the back of the tractor. I intend to spread this onto grazing and hay fields as an organic amendment and PH control. As it comes out of the furnace (and the gassifier at work) it is a very light ash that crumbles to flour-like powder upon being handled. I can not efficiently handle this on my ranch. I need to compact the materials into pellets or balls that are no more than about .10 - .30 inches dia. and firm enough to be able to be shoveled, bucketed, or augered into the slinger to be spread on the field. We are often windy here and I have tried handling the ash straight, but it blows into a vile storm. Any experience with industrial / commercial processes in this field or any rough ideas? I have looked at small rotating press wood pelletizers, but the abrasiveness of the ash and the cost of annual (or sooner) replacement of the die and rotating wheels is a little daunting. Thanks for any help.

variabLEE said:
Looks like you have bovine. Why not mix it with manure and spread it.
Yup, bovine and equine. Maybe some sheep in the future. Anyway, I tried the 'mixing' and you could see the the dust plume a few kilometers away. I would also like to be able to spread the ash at different times than the composted manure. Operational, needs, anyway. I am interested in the concept of screw or piston extruding, like how they make pasta, but there does not seem to be any specific examples of what is required for ash-like materials. I know a binder is needed, and that might be just water, but the pressures and mechanics are where I am hung up. Thanks.

I am interested in the concept of screw or piston extruding, like how they make pasta, but there does not seem to be any specific examples of what is required for ash-like materials. I know a binder is needed, and that might be just water, but the pressures and mechanics are where I am hung up. Thanks.

Something as corrosive as wood ash would require some kind of stainless mill, I would think. Unless you were fanatical about rinsing and drying it out after every use?

thecontrolguy said:
variabLEE said:
Yup, bovine and equine. Maybe some sheep in the future. Anyway, I tried the 'mixing' and you could see the the dust plume a few kilometers away. I would also like to be able to spread the ash at different times than the composted manure. Operational, needs, anyway. I am interested in the concept of screw or piston extruding, like how they make pasta, but there does not seem to be any specific examples of what is required for ash-like materials. I know a binder is needed, and that might be just water, but the pressures and mechanics are where I am hung up. Thanks.

Are you set on pelletizing the ash? Seems like alot of overhead for the payback.
Why not buy a slurry spreader and mix with water when loading.

variabLEE said:
thecontrolguy said:
variabLEE said:

Are you set on pelletizing the ash? Seems like alot of overhead for the payback.
Why not buy a slurry spreader and mix with water when loading.

Okay, I'll look in to that also. Lots of sprayers / tanks available. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.