Pellets AGAIN..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nh1234

Dec 12, 2010
Southern NH
Just came back after checking to see what HD and Lowes in Seabrook NH have for pellets. Now I am looking for opinions.
While I have read and realize the best way is to try some I will not have the time or opportunity to do that so....HD had Energex and Lowes has Green Team and Fireside Ultras same price $187 ton minus the 10 percent Vets Discount. I am currently burning Vermont softwoods and am resonably happy with them. Which of the three would you buy?? As I have read there seems to be a variance from year to year with the quality of pellets regardless of the vendor. So I guess I am wanting to know which of these three seem to be the best this year?? Thanks for any and all input. FYI the stove is an Enviro M55 Cast Insert.

Your cast with some tinkering will burn any of these with ease. Compared to the Vermont pellets these 3 brands just don't compare IMHO. Best of what you listed is the Greene Teams. A toss up between the Energex and the Fireside ultra's. There both made by Energex anyway.

I vote Greene Team. :)

I also vote for Greene Team. I burn them and like them alot.
I buy them any chance I get.
Stay warm !

I just bought some green teams, and they worked great, except I noticed a bit of rust on the inside of my hopper lid. Must have a higher moisture content then my Hamers I was running

Greene team all the way. The firesides are crap, lots of ash and not much heat. The other type i have which are just as good as the greenteam is the maines choice.

Went to by Greene Team Pellets..they were sold out of pellets at Lowes...said they have some "Maine Choice" pellets coming in this week. Will do a search to see what everyone thinks of these pellets???

nh1234 said:
Went to by Greene Team Pellets..they were sold out of pellets at Lowes...said they have some "Maine Choice" pellets coming in this week. Will do a search to see what everyone thinks of these pellets???

Which Lowes had the Greene Team and was sold out?

I am surprised they are ordering more at this time of the season. I wonder if it is because they are selling so good.

The interesting part is that I called them a couple of days ago and they said they have Fireside Ultras in stock but are expecting a delivery of Maine Choice and Greene Team..go figure???

If you're currently burning Vermont Softwood, any of the aforementioned choices are going to be a step down. Vermont Softwoods are an excellent wood pellet...very hot, clean, low ash. That being said, Green Team would be my next choice on your list. If you can't find the Green Team at Lowes see if you can find Stove Chow at your local Home Depot.

I have been burning the Maine's Choice, with very good results. Though I've heard that the mysterious Greene Team burn hot and clean, but haven't been able to buy any yet.
My dad got a ton from Lowes at the begining of the season, and he says they only seem a little hotter than the Maine's Choice in his 25-PDV, but every setup is different right ??
I called concord Lowes 2 days ago, and they had Greene Team, I may make the trek up there to get some tonight, or tomorrow, but if I feel lazy, then it's off to HD for some more Energex or Lowes for some Fireside Ultra's, as they are right next to my work.

justinc25 said:
I have been burning the Maine's Choice, with very good results. Though I've heard that the mysterious Greene Team burn hot and clean, but haven't been able to buy any yet.
My dad got a ton from Lowes at the begining of the season, and he says they only seem a little hotter than the Maine's Choice in his 25-PDV, but every setup is different right ??
I called concord Lowes 2 days ago, and they had Greene Team, I may make the trek up there to get some tonight, or tomorrow, but if I feel lazy, then it's off to HD for some more Energex or Lowes for some Fireside Ultra's, as they are right next to my work.

You guys are killing me! I got 2 ton of Greene Gold in the summer for $188 per. Love 'em. Almost out. They are made about 60 miles from my house and can't get 'em now. Sounds like they are being shipped only east and north east. I even called the plant. I have Hardwwod Heat from TSC, but they produce much more ash.

The pessimist rises. Considering your time running around and looking for the best deal and losing out on the best best deal, are you saving any money? Make one final trip and get your pellets. I hardly think your time and fuel and energy will result in a better deal than what we have said. Waiting for next week to get one, which may come in, may also mean you lose out on the ones that are currently in stock.

Glosta said:
If you're currently burning Vermont Softwood, any of the aforementioned choices are going to be a step down. Vermont Softwoods are an excellent wood pellet...very hot, clean, low ash. That being said, Green Team would be my next choice on your list. If you can't find the Green Team at Lowes see if you can find Stove Chow at your local Home Depot.

X2. If the OP is only reasonably happy with Vermonts, he needs to either adjust his stove settings or do a very thorough cleaning. They are the lowest ash and highest heat pellet I've ever used. It's mins 10 outside right now and my entire house is comfortable. In fact the heat will drive you out of the living room, unless you choose to sit in your speedo and have an endless supply of frosty beverages.

OP..here...bought the Greene Team..just started using them..seem to burn hot enuff and a lot cleaner than the Vermonts softwood I was using. Just wanted to get back in to report. Thanks for all of the comments.

OP here...followup..like I said Greene Team seem to burn hot enough BUT they have twice the ash of the Vermonts I was burning.
However for the price I will live with it. Just wanted to get back in here and let everyone know my particular results. Of course yours may vary

littlesmokey said:
The pessimist rises. Considering your time running around and looking for the best deal and losing out on the best best deal, are you saving any money? Make one final trip and get your pellets. I hardly think your time and fuel and energy will result in a better deal than what we have said. Waiting for next week to get one, which may come in, may also mean you lose out on the ones that are currently in stock.

That's what us Lean,mean pellet burning machines have over you pellet PIGS..we get the thrill of the KILL..the hunt,the chase..

We have plenty of room for the new pellets while you pigs hogged all the room..and cannot store additional pellets.

Always looking for that new pellet and better deal..

Pigs just sit back and gloat.. :( ?? :)

Taperbill said:

That's what us Lean,mean pellet burning machines have over you pellet PIGS..we get the thrill of the KILL..the hunt,the chase..

We have plenty of room for the new pellets while you pigs hogged all the room..and cannot store additional pellets.

Always looking for that new pellet and better deal..

Pigs just sit back and gloat.. :( ?? :)

Hey you,

Watch it, I have at least room for 7 more tons without moving anything.

It just goes to show, every stove is different. I had good results with Energex (CA) and Fireside Ultras. Maine's Choice were dirtier and not as much heat. I wasn't impressed so probably won't get them again. I've never had a chance to try the Green Teams but would like to if I ever see them.

Pellet Pig ? ..No..@ smokey

Lord of all Pellets Pigs.
God of Burning pellets.
Knight of the burning pellet stove.

LMPBM member.
That's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.