Pellets and ash seem to be piling up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glen1971

Nov 19, 2014
Pincher Creek, Alberta
I'm relatively new to the pellet world and have a question about my PC45...

It seems to be heating quite well but occassionally when I look inside the ash and burnt pellets doesn't seem to be moving off the burn pot into the ash can. It seems to be piling up and gets about 1 1/4" or a little deeper. When I scrape it into the ash can there are some pellets in the pile that aren't burnt all the way..

I have been adjusting the feed rate with each bag, to try and get the best burn out of them.. Usually I run it around 2 with adjustments around 1/4 to 1/2 and the room temp around 70. I'm burning wood pellets exclusively..

Is this a normal thing to keep and eye on? Or am I missing something with how I'm running it?

Thanks for your help!

and burnt pellets

What is a burnt pellet? If you mean a pellet that has not burned all the way to ash then I suggest you have an issue though not a major one. 1. Clean clean clean the stove and venting to make sure you are getting the proper air flow. 2. Try a different type of pellet to see if you get the same results. As far as adjustments on the PC45, I don't know that stove so I can't help you there. I'm sure others will chime in. 3. when you complete the above tasks report back so we can all learn. Good luck and welcome!

Thanx for the replies...

A "burnt pellet" is one that has some degree of carbon on it, and has been partially burnt but is not burnt all the way through to form it more into ash.. Maybe I have the wrong term, but that is what I'm seeing...

We have been cleaning the interior thoroughly on the first of every month.. The vent outside has looked good, but I can take the 45 off and check it more thoroughly... The pellets are "Okanagon Pellet Company" premium.. We have tried other brands, but not to a large extent.. As there are only a couple of places in our neck of the woods that stock pellets, we kinda take what they have...

It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe once every couple days I notice it..

I'm relatively new to the pellet world and have a question about my PC45...

It seems to be heating quite well but occassionally when I look inside the ash and burnt pellets doesn't seem to be moving off the burn pot into the ash can. It seems to be piling up and gets about 1 1/4" or a little deeper. When I scrape it into the ash can there are some pellets in the pile that aren't burnt all the way..

I have been adjusting the feed rate with each bag, to try and get the best burn out of them.. Usually I run it around 2 with adjustments around 1/4 to 1/2 and the room temp around 70. I'm burning wood pellets exclusively..

Is this a normal thing to keep and eye on? Or am I missing something with how I'm running it?

Thanks for your help!
A picture is worth more than you can say here. Please post pellet selfie.

A picture is worth more than you can say here. Please post pellet selfie.

Here is a couple of pics of the flame and inside the fire box... I'm not sure but am wondering... If the feed rate is too low, like Tonyray, suggested, would that cause a build up of pellets and the ash to not be pushed off the burn pot?
. Door Closed.JPG Door Open.JPG

Still learning how to get the best bang for my buck with the stove and keep it burning the most efficiently...

I'm surprise you haven't seen the 6 blinks on the panel. The flame looks weak so your probably getting low heat output. There appears to be an air fuel mixture issue. Do you clean the heat exchanger when you do your cleaning once a month? Bring the feed rate up to 4 and run in stove temp mode 4 or 5 for a while and see what happens. Can you create a stronger flame?

If this only occurs in a low burn situation, then I have to ask if you had the low voltage draft test when the unit was installed?

Looking at your manual, page 14 says that #2 is used generally for corn and #4 for pellets if you are room temp mode (on page 17, it says the same about stove temp mode). Although it does state that with pellets you can use any setting, I would think that 4 is for optimum burn. My ashpot isn't like yours and my Harman book says to test at slightly lower and slightly higher feed rates to get the ash lip at something like 1" from the edge of the pot. Obviously this isn't true of your stove, with the long-as lip, but if it were me, I would try a higher feed setting to help push the ash off.

The feed rate does not determine how many pellets you use, the temp (either room or stove temps). If you have the feed rate too low, then your stove will probably eat thru more pellets as the room/stove never gets to temp (or takes forever to do so), so there is no idle time. As usual, that is my understanding, and someone with more expertise than I may come in correct me.

I'm surprise you haven't seen the 6 blinks on the panel. The flame looks weak so your probably getting low heat output. There appears to be an air fuel mixture issue. Do you clean the heat exchanger when you do your cleaning once a month? Bring the feed rate up to 4 and run in stove temp mode 4 or 5 for a while and see what happens. Can you create a stronger flame?

If this only occurs in a low burn situation, then I have to ask if you had the low voltage draft test when the unit was installed?

I've seen it a couple times in the past and wasn't sure why it came up.. If I remember right when we ran it at 4, there was lots of unburnt pellets, but I'll try it again and see.. I'll kick it up to 3 1/2 and see what it does...
We thoroughly clean the interior of the fire box, ash can and blower..

Thanx for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.