Pellets: Barefoot vs Tree Cycle. Mini review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poconoman

Nov 22, 2009
Pocono Lake, PA
First off, I'm a proud owner of a new Harman PC45. Converted to use pellets using the kit. It's a SOLID, H E A V Y...sob. :lol:

I found a dealer that sells Barefoot and Tree Cycle pellets. I bought 5 bags of each.and I dumped 1 bag of BF (Barefoot) in the hopper and let it rip.

Barefoot. Ignition flame was BIG. The air was very HOT. I set the PC45 on Stove Temp high, feed rate 4 and the firebox was engulfed in beautiful orange flames. (it was actually scary. I thought it was going to blow up! :gulp: )
It's assignment was to heat the second floor and the loft. 1400sqft. Outside temp was 25dg and very windy. (my house was built in 2005, so it's tight) It took about 3 hrs to heat everything at 68. (mind you. I have 25ft ceilings on center) I then lowered the feed rate to 1 (I call it the 'simmering mode') and it kept EVERYTHING at 68. This is my sweet spot.

Tree Cycle 1 bag of TC in the hopper. Ignition flame was small. Air temp, very warm. (Nowhere as NEAR as BF) Feed rate 4 and Stove Temp high and the flames were way smaller. It took much longer to heat the same sqft and here's the interesting part: I'd lose the flame on feed rate 1, 'simmering mode'. It will work on 4.

BOTTOM LINE Barefoot wins, hands down. It has more BTU. It costs a little more, but it's more cost effective by using LESS for faster, constant heat. Also, BF has BARELY any fines. GC was very dusty.

NOTE: Thanks to Jake for his recommendation on Barefoot. It really is that good. :coolsmile:

Another vote for Barefoot. They burned great in my Lopi when I had it, followed by New England Hardwood, Energix and some junk pellets (can't remember name)

I have no issues with Tree Cycle. It took some time to fine tune my insert to burn it right. So far so good. My friend gave me a bag of Barefoot, I will try it once my hopper is empty. I'll keep you updated.

DannMarr said:
I have no issues with Tree Cycle. It took some time to fine tune my insert to burn it right. So far so good. My friend gave me a bag of Barefoot, I will try it once my hopper is empty. I'll keep you updated.

You have a great friend! ;-)

BTW, nice looking insert you have there!

I finally got to use the Barefoot pellets in my insert. I've been using Tree Cycle.
Here are my findings:
1) No clinkers, only fine dust
2) burns hotter than Tree Cycle (330 vs 298 convection at the same settings)
3) insert does not shut down during the night
Overall, I would buy these over Tree Cycle.
All I have to do now is use up the remaining 20 bags of Tree Cycle.

Update with the Barefoot pellets. I set the fan on high and the temperature reading was 379 degrees! I'm using an IR thermometer for my readings. I could not even keep my hand in front of the tubes because of the heat. The only drawback is my insert is burning right through these pellets. Great heat but will cost me more to use over Tree Cycle.

When you get the good hot pellets, most of us turn the stove down to help conserve them. Only run the stove as high as needed.

good, I have 3 pallets of BF in the garage... I like the smaller die they use, and the fact they look so clean..

I also noticed that Barefoot pellets are shorter than the Tree Cycle. This is the reason more pellets get dumped and the flames are higher. Another example of the importance to make adjustments for different pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.