Pellets consumed in a day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
OK now , I`ve read a few stunning claims where some folks are heating something like 1800 sq ft on 2.5 -3 tons of pellets and at least a couple claims to be getting two days burn out of a bag. I`m having a hard time believing the accuracy of some of these claims since my best is about 34 hrs on a 40 lb bag of premium pellets in a Harman P38 stove (smallest model) on it`s lowest setting of #1.
I look at what a lb of pellets consist of (maybe 2 hands full) and the fact that it will burn for nearly 1 hr and produce warm air blowing constantly truly is amazing but 2 days from a bag sounds to be a bit of an exxageration to me.
Harman literature claims a minimum of .75 lbs per hr but I just can`t imagine maintaining a flame at that rate and I can`t get my stove to burn that slow anyway as it`s already on #1 (lowest setting)
Anyone care to enlighten me?
Thank you,
John

in the coldest part of the year this year I would get 1 bag a day, average probably 1.5 days out of a bag. but that is not running constantly as my stove cycles on and off as the thermostat calls for heat.

Right now I'm burning a little over a bag a day heating water mostly in my 4 unit apartment house. On week ends I use maybe two a day. This is not a real effcent way to run the boiler but I'm just playing around with my new toy seeing how it does.

Rich

For our 1800sq ft ranch and with the Quadrafire CB1200i I'm getting 3 days out of a bag of pellets. Oh, wait this is May.......

Shooter said:
For our 1800sq ft ranch and with the Quadrafire CB1200i I'm getting 3 days out of a bag of pellets. Oh, wait this is May.......
You can`t be actually burning the stove continually for those 3 days. I should have been more clear with my original post.
My best is 34 hrs continuous burn from one bag.
John

Giovanni said:
Shooter said:
You can`t be actually burning the stove continually for those 3 days. I should have been more clear with my original post.
My best is 34 hrs continuous burn from one bag.
John

It's controlled by thermostat. I have it set to come on at 68 and shut off around 74. It's only going through 3 "on" cycles during the late night, nite and eary morning. Sun keeps the house at 71 for the daylight hours.

Shooter said:
Giovanni said:
Shooter said:

It's controlled by thermostat. I have it set to come on at 68 and shut off around 74. It's only going through 3 "on" cycles during the late night, nite and eary morning. Sun keeps the house at 71 for the daylight hours.

OK, now I can see why you are getting 3 days from a bag. Nice going too. Thanks for the clarification.
John.

Status
Not open for further replies.