Pellets Direct Furnace Grade Oak pellets $199.00 a ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
Just wondering if anybody has tried the Furnace Grade Oak Pellets from Pellets Direct?

http://www.pelletsdirect.com/pricing.htm

If they are not to bad I might try some in my Omega! I would have to travel about 2 hrs to get them and haul home myself. They done deliver to my area. $199.00 a ton might be worth the trouble.

Thanks for any info.
jay

thats an interesting chart , i looked at the "furnace grade" pellets , im curious as to why with less the 1% ash why they arent listed as premium , i didnt see any other spec of that grade of fuel or a manufacturer to see where they came from. i'd want a bit more info about them before placing the order, at least a manufacturer name so i could research further. that said if they are 8200 btu <1% ash content , its worth looking at even with a slightly lower btu content , run the stove 1 setting higher and you would probably even out , may even be ahead of the game.

reviews last season that i saw from tyhis supplier were quite reasonable so i would assume they would be forthcoming about more info if asked.

keep us posted

frunace grade may mean something to them but has no meaning to me as far as i know all the furnaces and boilers tend to run a regular size pellets

Too bad I can't get them here, would like to try some.

Kinda reminds me of when I went to a fancy schmancy restaurant and one entree was, "Filet of chicken, portobello mushrooms sun dried tomatos and cow's milk cheese".
"Cow's milk cheese"?!?!?!?! Wow, how woundrous exotic and rare! That's right up there with, like, gasoline that burns! I was sold right then and there.

Deffy said:
so did anyone try these?

i might be able to get them to come out to NY if i take 10 tons (split between my brother and I) but not without trying a bag or 2 first. I wish i had some other reason to take a ride out to MA, 2 bags arent worth it

I am waiting for them to get back to me, I might take the 2 hour ride there to get 6 bags or so to try. I asked them what brand there were and if they contained bark(witch is a commercial pellet).

I am still waiting and I will let everyone know when I get a response.

Jay

This is the reply I got from Pellets Direct.

jay

Hi Jay

Furnace Grade Oak pellets are from the south. They are for furnaces and boilers. They do not work well in top fed systems. They are avail via bags for $6.99 if you wish to try. No they do not have bark, they are an oak pellet.

We are open M-F 8-5 and Sat 8-2 at 73 Ironstone Road in Uxbridge, MA

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Tammy

They are right down the street from me. I but pellets from them now. I have to go down there tomorrow or Saturday, I'll ask talk to Kevin or Tammy about them and post some additional info. I might just pick up a couple bags out of curiosity,

Holy pellets batman!
$6.99 a bag for standard grade pellets??
And I thought furnace grade pellets would be cheaper than premium.
Guess I was wrong.

davevassar said:
They are right down the street from me. I but pellets from them now. I have to go down there tomorrow or Saturday, I'll ask talk to Kevin or Tammy about them and post some additional info. I might just pick up a couple bags out of curiosity,

Your closer than me, Please check them out to see if its worth the trouble. If I take the ride out there, It would have to be for the ton at $199.00!

tinkabranc said:
Holy pellets batman!
$6.99 a bag for standard grade pellets??
And I thought furnace grade pellets would be cheaper than premium.
Guess I was wrong.

Not worth a 200 mile ride to try them. What got me was that they don't work well in top feeders. Makes me wonder.

jay

Thanks for the info Irwin, Looks like I am taking a ride around mid March. I should have enough room in the basemant for a ton by then.

jay

Irwin fletcher said:
Jtakeman,just call ahead, had 20 tons two weeks ago..The only other thing is on your invoice they play a sticker on your slip,to make sure you know that they are premium pellets.Just try a few for yourself, before you go HOG WILD...Every stove, and every person is different. and for legal purposes, if your stove is not rated to burn multi rated fuel, and their is a problem, it could be a problem for you..Good luck..Dave

My stove is the Enviro Omega. It is supposed to burn just about anything. Has an agitator in the burn pot for corn and high ash fuels. I have only burned Turman 100% oak and Premier hardwood pellets so far. the only thing I worry about is auger jams. Other than that it should have no issues, I hope.

jay

Yep, the Omega is top fed.

I just instelled my Omega last week. Awesome stove.

FG.

Irwin fletcher said:
the good thing is the pellets are not compressed too hard, and brake easily. Is the Omega a top fed? single auger? Like my other stove, Empress?

Hey Jay,

Can't take a pict yet. I need a blank CD but I will ASAP.

Yes this stove is awesome! No comparison at all with the Big E.

I'm running it in auto/off mode on a stat with the high on #2 and the whole first floor is toasty, even the bedroom end of the house.

I've only burned about 3 bags so far.

The problem I had the other day was that the stove went into startup mode after I pushed the off button while in auto/off mode. It fed alot of pellets when there was already a fire going. So now I know. Learn something new everyday.

And the glass is still clean! Just a very small halo around the outside/upper edges of the glass.

Very quiet too.

I did have a scraping problem and could see one of the fingers on the agitator had a small fresh wear mark on it so I filed it down and it stopped.

Now I do hear occasional scraping, then it goes away on it's own. The scraping I hear now is just the fingers scraping across some built up residue in the burn pot. It's doing what it's supposed to do, keeping hte burn pot clean.

Again, no comparison. This stove is great. Very glad I followed your lead and bought it from Nichols.

Well worth it.

I'll get that pict up ASAP.

Thanks again,

FG.

P.S.:

Let me know how those furnace pellets burn if you try them out. If they're good I"ll buy 3 tons.

jtakeman said:
Irwin fletcher said:
single auger?

Yes,

Hey, Flamegrabber, Where that install picture???

That baby throughs some heat no???

jay

Yes, I agree. The stove is awesome. I had the material on the finger(burr). I kissed mine on the belt sander and chamfered the edges.

I also get a chirping sound from the agitator ever now and again. But I conclude its scrapping off the ash I guess.

My only complaint is it does get quite a few un-burned pellets in the ash pan. But other than that, I'm extremely pleased with it. I was burning my bigE on 4 and 5 for as long as I cound then back to 4. I haven't had to put the Omega past 3 and seems to be using less pellets too!

I'll let you know on the pellets when I get them. Also got some switch grass pellets to try this week. 6 bags of them. Going to get some corn on Friday to try too. I found a farmer that will sell it to me for $200.00 a ton. I'll start with 6 bags to see if I like it.

catch ya later.
jay

stoveguy2esw said:
thats an interesting chart , i looked at the "furnace grade" pellets , im curious as to why with less the 1% ash why they arent listed as premium , i didnt see any other spec of that grade of fuel or a manufacturer to see where they came from. i'd want a bit more info about them before placing the order, at least a manufacturer name so i could research further. that said if they are 8200 btu <1% ash content , its worth looking at even with a slightly lower btu content , run the stove 1 setting higher and you would probably even out , may even be ahead of the game.

reviews last season that i saw from tyhis supplier were quite reasonable so i would assume they would be forthcoming about more info if asked.

keep us posted

I believe the pellet is not considered a premium pellet because of the length size. Premium pellets are suppose to be under 1.5 inches long.

Well, The Omega doesn't like pellets that are too long with the baffle in the hopper. I am burning Premier hardwood heat pellets that are over 3 inches long at times. So I had to pull out the baffle. Pellets were bridging in the hopper. Since I pulled the baffle I haven't had an issue.

I am cleaning the basement this coming week, So I might have room for a ton. Might take a ride next weekend to get it.

Jay

Just got finished burning the pheonix pellets and cleaned the stove. I was able to find these pellets locally for $200/ton. I could only afford 2 bags of these at the time($6.00 a bag). Everything they sell is $6.00 a bag much cheaper by the ton.

At least they seem to be the same one's. No marking on the bags as for a manufactor.

They just say furnace grade 100% oak.

I notice the length to be close to 3 inches on some of them when I dumped them in. So far no issues. But the auger is clunking every now and then. Good heat so far. My IR temp gun seems to be on the fritz. Got to get a battery for the POS. Otherwise I would have a temp reading from the heat exchanger.

I'll post more if your interested?
jay

Well, I can't find anything bad to say about them. Stove ran fine and the house is at temp. Ran about 1/2 a bag. I checked the pot not much ash no clinker. When I pored them in there wasn't much dust-fines. I think there very close to the Turman's I've been running. Wish there was a brand name on the bag.

Very good heat output! I can't hold my hand in front of the heat long.

The only thing I see that may be an issue for some is the length of them and My auger clunking every now and then, Not that bad though! I think I'll get some more next week.

I'll update if I get a jam or something. But so far all sighs are very good. $200.00 a ton-HELL YEA I'M IN!

jay

Jay,

Can you imagine any extra wear and tear on the auger having to break up so many pellets?

If not I think I'll try some.

Thanks,

FG.

jtakeman said:
Well, I can't find anything bad to say about them. Stove ran fine and the house is at temp. Ran about 1/2 a bag. I checked the pot not much ash no clinker. When I pored them in there wasn't much dust-fines. I think there very close to the Turman's I've been running. Wish there was a brand name on the bag.

Very good heat output! I can't hold my hand in front of the heat long.

The only thing I see that may be an issue for some is the length of them and My auger clunking every now and then, Not that bad though! I think I'll get some more next week.

I'll update if I get a jam or something. But so far all sighs are very good. $200.00 a ton-HELL YEA I'M IN!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.