Pellets don't burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletnewb

Dec 25, 2010
N. CA
I just bought a house that has a pellet stove in the main living room. The stove has pellets inside of it, but they don't seem to burn. The stove is a Whitfield WP2 Advantage Insert. Looking online, the manual looks like it should self ignite, but the directions on the stove seem to indicate that you need to start a fire manually. I tried the stove, and it doesn't seem to self-ignite. The auger works though.

I tried to start a fire manually in there, and let the wood pellets feed into the fire, but the pellets don't burn at all. I even tried taking pellets and burning them in a pot with matches, but the pellets don't burn at all. Is this normal? I would try testing other pellets, but I want to try just buying a small bag before I buy a whole pallet, and I can't find just a bag anywhere.

Can anyone help? Thanks and happy holidays!

pelletnewb said:
I just bought a house that has a pellet stove in the main living room. The stove has pellets inside of it, but they don't seem to burn. The stove is a Whitfield WP2 Advantage Insert. Looking online, the manual looks like it should self ignite, but the directions on the stove seem to indicate that you need to start a fire manually. I tried the stove, and it doesn't seem to self-ignite. The auger works though.

I tried to start a fire manually in there, and let the wood pellets feed into the fire, but the pellets don't burn at all. I even tried taking pellets and burning them in a pot with matches, but the pellets don't burn at all. Is this normal? I would try testing other pellets, but I want to try just buying a small bag before I buy a whole pallet, and I can't find just a bag anywhere.

Can anyone help? Thanks and happy holidays!

Step 1, did you plug it in and turn it on??????

need to use gel to light, useless you have a blow torch they wont light

Since it's Christmas Day and not many stores are open...use what you may have at home:

Propane Torch

Rubbing alcohol...DO NOT POUR LIQUID IN STOVE...just coat 1/2 cup of pellets in a small tin can w/ about a table-spoon of isopropyl alcohol and swish around to just coat them

Be sure stove is COLD, no glowing embers...dump in burn-pot, light and let them burn a minute before you shut the door and turn on the feed & fan.

You know, old pellets left in stove for a long period of time are not in the best of condition.

Just for argument sake, have you ever used a pellet stove before? If not you may want to download the owner's manual from the Whitfield webside, or go through the "stickies" at the top of this forum. Especially the maintenance section. If you are not sure what you are doing, DON'T. This is a very sophisticated heating device and you can ruin it if you don't know what you are doing, and more importantly, you could burn your new home up. Error on the side of caution.

Seasons Best to All

clean it all out, plug it in, and make sure the combustion motor is running.

pelletnewb said:
.....The stove has pellets inside of it, but they don't seem to burn......I tried to start a fire manually in there, and let the wood pellets feed into the fire, but the pellets don't burn at all......

Are these the pellets that were in the stove when you bought the house, or pellets you bought recently? Is there any smoke while the stove tries to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.