Pellets feeding too fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCS1120

Nov 1, 2011
Palermo, ME
My pellet stove is feeding too fast. the pellets are half burning and dropping into my ash box which is creating a huge mess for me I have cleaned the stove and tried to adjust the auger speed but nothing seems to work just wanted to see if I could get any other Ideas on what could be causing this.
My stove is a St. Croix Regency

JCS1120 said:
My pellet stove is feeding too fast. the pellets are half burning and dropping into my ash box which is creating a huge mess for me I have cleaned the stove and tried to adjust the auger speed but nothing seems to work just wanted to see if I could get any other Ideas on what could be causing this.

Your stove is dirty or the damper is set incorrectly.

ETA: Please describe your flame and how you cleaned your stove and venting.

JCS1120 said:

St Croix and Regency are two different brands. Do you know which one you have?

Brad

The stove should have a tag/sticker that will have its model info. Some are on the hopper lid or on the stove's back panel.

I'll second Smokey's question of what the flame looks like? Does it look really lazy?

I had this problem last year (first year of pellet burning), and it was due to incomplete cleaning of the airways which inhibited air flow and caused a lazy burn, which in turn caused pellets not to burn completely and overfill the pot.

St. Croix stoves have a portion of the exhaust system that is extremely difficult to get to to clean the ash out.

The newer versions have additional clean out plugs that allow access to the ash traps.

It isn't that your stove is overfeeding, but that there isn't enough air going through the stove to burn the pellets properly because the venting is clogged or damper closed (even open too far but that usually show ups in a different manner).

It could even be bad door gaskets, but I'm betting it is ash in the plumbing.

IronFire said:
JCS1120 said:
Stove control panel says St Croix and the owners manual I was given says regency so i assumed that was the model

Start here http://stcroixstoves.com/manuals.php go to video owners manuals. Go through and do everything the owners manual shows as far as cleaning. Should be able to identify the model on the same web site

Brad

Wow... that's a pretty good video library to help keep these stove clean and operating properly.

I had never seen that before. This will really help when I get my Greenfield installed and running... the newer style fancy electronic controls are a bit more daunting to operate than the knobs and switches on my old Pepin stove...

Yes there was a lazy burn and thanks for the links looking through them found out the model is a Hastings i must have been given the wrong manual for it. I found another place that was clogged with ash way in under the burn pot it was very hard to clean out but once I got it all clear it is running great. Thanks for the help everyone.

JCS1120 said:
Yes there was a lazy burn and thanks for the links looking through them found out the model is a Hastings i must have been given the wrong manual for it. I found another place that was clogged with ash way in under the burn pot it was very hard to clean out but once I got it all clear it is running great. Thanks for the help everyone.

Anytime, just keep it clean and it will keep you warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.