Pellets for next season... so, what's the plan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True I guess. So, someone who normally uses 3 tons of pellets might only need 2 tons of coal, everything else being equal. Roughly.

Still, I was surprised that it was that high.

Gweeper64 said:
True I guess. So, someone who normally uses 3 tons of pellets might only need 2 tons of coal, everything else being equal. Roughly.

Still, I was surprised that it was that high.
Yes, you'd only need about 2 tons of coal to replace 3 tons of pellets.

I will buy about 2 tons but also fill up......and I will run what is cheaper. Approx. 20 degrees and above I'll run the Pellet Stove.....if it get close to 0 then the furnace will kick in. This season I only ran the furnace for hot water as in past seasons. But depending on where oil prices are in the future is what I will burn :)

ah, the "all other things being equal, fuel A vesus fuel B is better comparison"......well, in the imperfect world we live in, all other things arent equal. While coal is certainly has more btu's per pound than pellets, has anyone factored in efficiencies of the burn here? Coal might have 30% more heat per pound, but most coal stoves also dont approach the efficiency of pellet stoves....eating into that margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.