PELLETS FUNNEL AWAY FROM AUGER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOOK4CHRIS

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
ct
After owning a 13 year old Harman Invincible, I bought a Danson Glowboy. The stove will turn off after 4 hours. The pellets in the hopper begin to funnel away from the auger feed so I have plenty of pellets on the side and not in the center where they need to be. I have to continually push pellets into the center by hand, which is unrealistic. This stove is intended to be my primary heating source as was my harman. Has anyone had a similar problem with a Glowboy fireplace insert

LOOK4CHRIS said:
After owning a 13 year old Harman Invincible, I bought a Danson Glowboy. The stove will turn off after 4 hours. The pellets in the hopper begin to funnel away from the auger feed so I have plenty of pellets on the side and not in the center where they need to be. I have to continually push pellets into the center by hand, which is unrealistic. This stove is intended to be my primary heating source as was my harman. Has anyone had a similar problem with a Glowboy fireplace insert

This seems to be a pretty common problem with a variety of pelletstoves . . . try going to the pellet forum and do a search. There is one rather lengthy thread on this very problem and some possible solutions . . . if memory served me correctly many pellet heads have fixed this problem rather easily with metal tape . . . but again the best thing would be to go to that specific forum and do the search.

Moved to Pellet Mill as it is more appropriate there - good luck on finding a fix.

Gooserider

LOOK4CHRIS said:

clean the hooper completely (as best you can) and then rub it down with wax paper. It will create a bit of 'lube' to aid the slide factor

I have a Danson Bayview. Same problem but I have solved it by completely cleaning the hopper and vacuuming it. I then put a good coat of Carnuba Car Wax on the hopper area. Note, clean the fines out of your pellets, thats the culprit. I made the vaccum pellet cleaner shown on here and it works 1st class. Haven't had a problem since then................

LOOK4CHRIS said:
.....The pellets in the hopper begin to funnel away from the auger feed so I have plenty of pellets on the side and not in the center where they need to be. I have to continually push pellets into the center by hand, which is unrealistic. ......

Maybe you could post a pic or 2 of the inside of the hopper for us to take a look at.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :)

I did a combination on my BigE, I used aluminum tape in the corners and I rubbed waxed paper on the inside of the hopper sides.

The fines are the cause as already said.

Seems to bother some stoves and not others.

My Omega right to the bottom. Only about a coffee full can left. Never did anything and the fines don't bother it at all.

jay

Sounds like a design problem, my pellets have no place to go but down.

I had an old Whitfield that had a similar problem, what I did was buy a industrial vibrating motor and my problem was solved!!! The one I had came with a delay and was rather quiet, but only ran for 30sec. evey 10 minutes!!! If nothing mentioned above works, it might be a possibility for you!!!

THE ROOSTER said:
I had an old Whitfield that had a similar problem, what I did was buy a industrial vibrating motor and my problem was solved!!! The one I had came with a delay and was rather quiet, but only ran for 30sec. evey 10 minutes!!! If nothing mentioned above works, it might be a possibility for you!!!

Wow! Thats a COOL Idea. Much better than pounding it with your hands!

Nice tip!

jay

essentially its a battle between gravity and friction, remove the friction and gravity will win , most new products have an enherant roughness to the surface finish especially if its painted, first step , take a scotch pad and rub the slopes down to eliminate the roughness of the painted surface (dont take the paint off though just "knock the tops off") then apply the tape or wax paper rubdown to slick it up further over time the pellets themselves will "polish" the surface down but a little ministering to it in the beginning will speed the process. hope this helps ya !

jtakeman said:
THE ROOSTER said:

Wow! Thats a COOL Idea. Much better than pounding it with your hands!

Nice tip!

jay

I'd sooner hire a gnome to stand by the stove and shake it every little while

THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS. THIS GLOWBOY IS TERRIBLE!!!!. I HAVE RUBBED THE HOPPER WITH STEEL WOOL, WAXED, VACUMED THE FINES, AND THE PELLETS STILL FUNNEL AWAY FROM THE AUGER. I HAVE USED ENERGIX, JUANITA AND DRY CREEK. ALL DO THE SAME THING. SINCE MY FIRST POST, BESIDES TURNING OFF FOR NO PELLETS BEING FED, THE PELLETS IN THE HOPPER HAS IGNITED, THE GLASS IS BLACK WITHIN 12 HOURS. DAMPER HAS BEEN ADJUSTED ALONG WITH FEED RATE AND THREE DIFFERENT CIRCUT BOARDS HAVE BEEN PUT IN. THE TEMPERATURE IN MY HOUSE IS ONLY MAINTAINING 63 DEGREES WHEN OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE IS 22. AND I HAVE GONE THRU 2 .5 TONS OF PELLETS SINCE MID OCTOBER. DEALER SAID ALL HOUSES ARE DIFFERENT. PERHAPS I AM EXPECTING TOO MUCH BUT MY NEW STOVE SHOULD BE HEATING AS WELL IF NOT BETTER THAN MY 15 YEAR OLD HARMON DID.

LOOK4CHRIS said:
THANKS FOR ALL THE IDEAS. THIS GLOWBOY IS TERRIBLE!!!!. I HAVE RUBBED THE HOPPER WITH STEEL WOOL, WAXED, VACUMED THE FINES, AND THE PELLETS STILL FUNNEL AWAY FROM THE AUGER. I HAVE USED ENERGIX, JUANITA AND DRY CREEK. ALL DO THE SAME THING. SINCE MY FIRST POST, BESIDES TURNING OFF FOR NO PELLETS BEING FED, THE PELLETS IN THE HOPPER HAS IGNITED, THE GLASS IS BLACK WITHIN 12 HOURS. DAMPER HAS BEEN ADJUSTED ALONG WITH FEED RATE AND THREE DIFFERENT CIRCUT BOARDS HAVE BEEN PUT IN. THE TEMPERATURE IN MY HOUSE IS ONLY MAINTAINING 63 DEGREES WHEN OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE IS 22. AND I HAVE GONE THRU 2 .5 TONS OF PELLETS SINCE MID OCTOBER. DEALER SAID ALL HOUSES ARE DIFFERENT. PERHAPS I AM EXPECTING TOO MUCH BUT MY NEW STOVE SHOULD BE HEATING AS WELL IF NOT BETTER THAN MY 15 YEAR OLD HARMON DID.

Have you throughly cleaned your stove recently? At 2.5 tons you need to pull the motors/fans and clean them, clean the vent, clean behind the firebox, etc.

I have a couple of dumb questions.

Is that stove level?

Would you please post a picture of the hopper when it fails to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.