Pellets have arrived at the box stores

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mkmh said:
zeta said:
I placed my order
with Darlene at Pelletsales.com several months ago and got locked into
a price for 2 tons of Pinnacle pellets delivered to my home. They have not been
delivered yet but I expect it will be soon.

Price Per Ton: $179.00
Quantity: 2 tons
Total Product Price: $358.00
Delivery: $79.00 ($39.50 per ton)
Taxes: $0.00
Total Order Amount: $437.00
Payments Made: $0.00
Balance Due: $437.00

That seems like an excellent deal. I just checked my invoice and I paid 210 per ton
for 3 tons plus flat rate 75.00 for delivery about 30 miles from the store. As mentioned
these were NE hardwood pellets. All in all a fair deal and roughly what I paid last year.

Yes I am very pleased with the deal. I placed the order
on 5-17-07. I helped a friend who lives near me get
an online price quote a few weeks after and it was
higher. I talked to Sandy at pelletsales.com this morning,
and she told me to sit tight, the pellets will
be delivered soon and they will call a few days in advance
so I can move my boat out of the driveway.
I have never used the pinnacles but I've read good reviews on
them so I'm hoping they are at least as good
as the newp or any of the other brands I've used.

199$ per ton of "pellets" here at the small Lumbermans chain of hardware stores. No idea on brand, just on the billboard.

Mkmh,

This will be my first year heating with wood and I have some concerns about circulating air. I don't like the corner door frame fans sold for moving heat around. They seem way too expensive. Especially when a small Wal Mart fan can be had for much less and is ensentialy the same thing. All propellor type fans are noisey and I question how much air they move. I have been looking at the Wind Tower Platinum Indoor Oscillating Fan at Wal Mart. It's a squirel cage fan. I can take the botton off of it and make a few brackets and hang it horzontially on the door frame. I think it will look better than the corner type fans. It will move more air, and they are quieter. This one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4756119 is thirty eight dollars. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5425251 that one is nineteen dollars. They also have timers on them and remote controls to turn them on and off, if you're wife is short. I was going to wait until Wal Mart put them on sale, but a friend of mine is a manager at one and she said they got a memo saying no in store mark downs on anything until the first of the year. She's going let me know if they get a corporate marked down sent to them.

karl said:
Mkmh,

This will be my first year heating with wood and I have some concerns about circulating air. I don't like the corner door frame fans sold for moving heat around. They seem way too expensive. Especially when a small Wal Mart fan can be had for much less and is ensentialy the same thing. All propellor type fans are noisey and I question how much air they move. I have been looking at the Wind Tower Platinum Indoor Oscillating Fan at Wal Mart. It's a squirel cage fan. I can take the botton off of it and make a few brackets and hang it horzontially on the door frame. I think it will look better than the corner type fans. It will move more air, and they are quieter. This one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4756119 is thirty eight dollars. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5425251 that one is nineteen dollars. They also have timers on them and remote controls to turn them on and off, if you're wife is short. I was going to wait until Wal Mart put them on sale, but a friend of mine is a manager at one and she said they got a memo saying no in store mark downs on anything until the first of the year. She's going let me know if they get a corporate marked down sent to them.

Not a bad idea. I may take a look at those fans. Whatever I do it needs to be pretty quiet. I'm toying with the idea of buying a bunch of these (or similar) and building wooden cases, with sound-proofing materials to be put in thresholds.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999162
It'll be a fair amount of work but I like the fact that tehse fans have sound and rpm ratings.

Just make sure you install those fans with the cool air blowing into the room with the stove.

Squirrel cage fans are always much quieter than propellor ones. I went to Wal Mart and turned off all of the display fans and then turned on the one I was interested in. It's very quiet. On high it was moving as much air as a boxed fan and wasn't loud at all.

Holy crapstick Batman!
Was at Home Depot in Avon, MA two days ago.
They have Fireside brand wood pellets
in stock for a mere $270 a ton. :bug:
Glad I bought early.

Thursday morning paper arrived with the weekend ads Aubuchon is celebrating 100 years
the front page special price highlighted pellets only $279 per ton or $5.99 per bag

Right above it is the save $50 on the Pell Pro Pellet stove Now $1444.00

[[/quote] zeta said...

Yes I am very pleased with the deal. I placed the order
on 5-17-07. I helped a friend who lives near me get
an online price quote a few weeks after and it was
higher. I talked to Sandy at pelletsales.com this morning,
and she told me to sit tight, the pellets will
be delivered soon and they will call a few days in advance
so I can move my boat out of the driveway.
I have never used the pinnacles but I've read good reviews on
them so I'm hoping they are at least as good
as the newp or any of the other brands I've used.[/quote]

pinnacle are good pellets , you will be happy with them im sure, we played with some in our lab last year and they did quite well maybe not the overall best we tested (19 brands in all i think), but certainly close to the top.

sorry i messed up , but i didnt think we needed the whole shebang quoted again for my point

stoveguy2esw said:
pinnacle are good pellets , you will be happy with them im sure, we played with some in our lab last year and they did quite well maybe not the overall best we tested (19 brands in all i think), but certainly close to the top.

And the top three were?

That ought to put you on the spot with the pellet makers!

BB,you have a lovely way of putting me on the spot

ok, if i HAD to pick a winner, and remember this is unofficial, marthwood out of marathon wis. they were great, pennington was as well, hamers hot ones lived up to the name on the bag(Lori Hamer has a great group of people up there as well) darned good stuff. ozark pellets were quite good also. energex's premium grade tested very well, all in all, everyone that we tested were quality pellets and did well in our testing, i'd probably sit here and name them all saying basically the same thing, but it was last year and im at home trying to remember all the brands.(my apologies to those i have left out) pinnacle as i already mentioned were great. only less than good thing i can say in this posting is that there were a few brands which i flat out will not name names, that decided they didnt wanna play ( did not wish to participate), i guess they had their reasons. the reason im holding those names is that when i came in here i promised not to speak badly on any other manufacturers in the forum , i meant stove mfg. but i am applying that to the pellet folks as well. if they are good , i will speak honestly about them being good in my opinion. if they are IMO not good , i wont speak either way specifically in this public forum(note that there were ones that i didnt name but were good pellets , i'll post them later if asked after refreshing my memory), i posted a letter to craig stating that was my stance and i will not go back on that.
as a footnote , my own pellet stove that i have here at the house has run exclusively on Lignetics, of west va. and hardwood heat(not certain where they are made) , from our local tractor supply. both have been excellent pellets in my stove, i'd recommend them as well personally, they have been consistantly good since i installed the unit in 2004

DISCLAIMER: the views in this post are my own personal opinions and may not reflect the official views of England's Stove Works Inc. and should not be taken as such

Hamer's is just down the road from me. I used to work for them when I had the print shop. I didn't realize they were that big. I agree with you. They are nice people.

tractor supply yesterday
269 ton
4.99 Bag

Whie I was there I checked out indoor wood furnace- NICE!!
I'll try to get the link.

stoveguy2esw said:
which brand wood furnace was it? just curious what tractor is carrying , some regions have ours but i do not know if all have it

Around here in the stores and in their online listings TSC carries the U.S. Stove Company 1557M coal and wood furnace. Have for as long as we have lived here.

BB got it - US stove

Yippeee! My pellets were delivered a little while ago
from Pelletsales.com. I got two tons of Canadian Premium
(Pinnacle Pellets imported and then packaged by New England Wood Pellet)
for a total of $437.00 delivered to my driveway. As mentioned
previously, the order was placed in May to get that price.
Breaks down to 218.50 a ton delivered. Makes zeta happy. :)

edit: Oh and I highly recommend pelletsales.com! This is my second
time doing business with them and as long as I have a pellet
stove and they are in business I will use them.

zeta said:
Yippeee! My pellets were delivered a little while ago
from Pelletsales.com. ......

edit: Oh and I highly recommend pelletsales.com! This is my second
time doing business with them and as long as I have a pellet
stove and they are in business I will use them.

Same here .. got 3 tons in May .. Pellet Sales.com will absolutely get my business.

On Natural Gas: I paid $1700 in heating to freeze my arse .. I gotta hunch my $620 in pellets this year will beat 62 degrees and 58 overnight by a mile. Stove pay back time: <3 years considering a 68 degree house would have cost me $2000+ in natural gas.

So do either of you know whether Pelletsales.com maintains a staff that handles delivery? My impression was that they were basically just a broker service that coodinates the purchase and delivery. Not implying that is a bad thing, just curious what the business model is.

Zeta's deal seems very similar to the deal that I got through home and Hearth, though my delivery charge was higher (i'm pretty far from the shop). I also had to pay in May to get the best price.

mkmh said:
So do either of you know whether Pelletsales.com
maintains a staff that handles delivery? My impression was that they were basically just a broker
service that coodinates the purchase and delivery. Not implying that is a bad thing,
just curious what the business model is.

Zeta's deal seems very similar to the deal that I got through home and Hearth,
though my delivery charge was higher (i'm pretty far from the shop).
I also had to pay in May to get the best price.

Yup I think they are pretty much acting as a "middle man", but whats the diff?
It's a reliable service with awesome prices on the product. I'm pretty far from
the source too. The pellets come from NH, and I'm on the South Shore
in MA.

I just paid $239 a ton no tax at my local Tractor Supply. WAlMart wants $275 and Lowe's $268..The local lumber mill wants $195 but its to hard to get them they sell asap I got sick of calling and went to Tractor Supply. I use propane also which I pay $2.09 a Gallon but am switching to NOCO for a lock in price of $1.79 a gallon until June Of 08'. A cord of mixed hardwood is $65 right now.I live in NY state so everything is high... I hope pellet prices don't get to high because I'm selling my wood stove tomorrow.

That has to be a face cord. I haven't seen a full cord of split dry hardwood for that price for a really long time. And I'm an old fart.

Yea face cord.. It goes up to $90 in the winter months thats for pickup prices... I cant cut and split anymore because i blew out a disc last winter even though I had access to free cherry and maple which I had to split with my Aunt.. Wood is cheap unless its delivered. I have a chute built in the house to load wood into the basement kinda of cool but got sick of the bugs and mess and mold mildew. We get to much snow to deal with it outside..If I had a garage to store it in I would still use it. Also shelled corn was $45 dollars or so for 500 pounds last year probably has gone up ..

Status
Not open for further replies.