Pellets: Hearthside vs. barefoot vs. Dry Creek?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I just got the annual flyer from the local shop where I buy pellets. Through the end of July, Barefoot pellets are $205/ton, Hearthside are $210, and Dry Creek are $225. I have a Breckwell PS-23 which I use for supplemental heat in the kitchen.. I go though about 2 tons in a season. I've only run Dry Creek and Allegheny, and Dry Creek seems to work the best for me.

Does anyone have experience with either Barefoot or Hearthside? I'm not familiar with either of them. I do know that Hearthside is made about 45 minutes from here. I'm inclined to try some Hearthside pellets.. they're 'local', but I don't know anyone who has used them.

Burned 4-5 tons of Dry Creek last year. Got a better price this year on Barefoot. Tried 10-12 bags this spring. 1/2 the fines and 3/4 less ash with the Barefoot. Burned just as hot, just much cleaner.
I have 5 tons of Barefoot for the upcoming season stacked and ready to go :)

Putnam Jct:

Thats interesting. What kind of stove do you have?

Also, are the Barefoot pellets hard or softwood?

PutnamJct said:
Burned 4-5 tons of Dry Creek last year. Got a better price this year on Barefoot. Tried 10-12 bags this spring. 1/2 the fines and 3/4 less ash with the Barefoot. Burned just as hot, just much cleaner.
I have 5 tons of Barefoot for the upcoming season stacked and ready to go :)

Putnamjct

How are the barefoot pellets doing? I'm thinking of getting 5 tons this april.

John

I wound up buying 1 ton of Dry Creek, and 1 ton of Barefoot. So far, I would have to agree with PutnamJct.
The Barefoot seems to burn slightly hotter than the Dry Creek with less ash.

homebrewz said:
I wound up buying 1 ton of Dry Creek, and 1 ton of Barefoot. So far, I would have to agree with PutnamJct.
The Barefoot seems to burn slightly hotter than the Dry Creek with less ash.

Thanks homebrewz. I have Green team now and i get alot of ash and less heat then the pellets i had last year.i do belive i'm burning more for less.

John

I tried Green Team and hated them. I bought 8 bags to try them, and returned 6 of them to the store. I was burning Barefoot, great heat, but I seem to burn more with Barefoot than with any other pellet I have tried. Almost 1/2 a bag a day more. When it was reall cold, in the teens, I would burn almost 2 bags a day.

I've been trying different pellets lately, think I'm going back to Barefoot though. The amount of heat they put out outshines any others I have tried.

davevassar said:
I tried Green Team and hated them. I bought 8 bags to try them, and returned 6 of them to the store. I was burning Barefoot, great heat, but I seem to burn more with Barefoot than with any other pellet I have tried. Almost 1/2 a bag a day more. When it was reall cold, in the teens, I would burn almost 2 bags a day.

I've been trying different pellets lately, think I'm going back to Barefoot though. The amount of heat they put out outshines any others I have tried.

There(green team) very dark so you would think hard wood? i'm burning about a Quarter more per 24hours then with what i had last year and a lot more ash. I forgot what i had last year. I dont think there is an Adjustment for pellet size or amount on a Big E??.

Status
Not open for further replies.