Pellets in a non pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwbj

Oct 11, 2007
Ringoes NJ
I got a chance to get a 1/2 dozen bags of pellets for free. Can I use them in my Intrepid if I spread them
out on top of a coal bed?

I can't imagine why not - I've burned a couple hundred pounds of coal that way. Get a good coal bed, toss in a couple hand fulls, close the door and wait. You'll eventually burn through then.

IIRC, there was a stainless steel mesh box also marketed for this purpose. I believe the idea is to get a good wood fire going, fill the box with pellets, chuck it in the fire like a log and the pellets burn up. Although it might be a little much to purchase the box just for a few bags of pellets.

Although, I cannot condone the use of kerosene in your stove, I can't see any reason that a handful or two of pellets on top of a good coal bed would be bad for your stove. I wouldn't get too carried away due to the slow (almost difficult) manor that pellets burn. Meaning that they have a inherent design and intent (pellet stoves) to be slow burning with very concentrated heat (burn pot). Burn-em if you got-em.

The pellets will burn, not too efficiently, but if you load them a pound or two at a time, they will burn. Too many may smother the fire and will smolder a lot before ignition.

Pookenord, we've had the kerosene discussion before, no need to hijack this thread. What is done in the privacy of one's own home is one's own business. Advocating such a practice is not. Show me a single stove manual that endorses the use of petroleum accelerants in an EPA stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.