pellets in central pa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myers7457

Oct 9, 2011
central pa
I was wondering if anyone is from central pa and what pellets they burn. The available pellets I have seen are energex,omalley,hamers hot ones,ligntics and the ones from tractor supply/lowes/hd. I am currently burning lignetics. Anybody have any opinions on these.thanks

From Oley, Pa, near Reading. We've been trying 4 or 5 bags at a time. So far I like american Wood Fibers from Lowe's, when they have them. Not expensive, either. The last ones we had from TSC didn't have much heat output. Think they were presto logs.

Eastern Pa--- burning Hamers and Wood Pellet Company Premium brands.

myers7457 said:
I was wondering if anyone is from central pa and what pellets they burn. The available pellets I have seen are energex,omalley,hamers hot ones,ligntics and the ones from tractor supply/lowes/hd. I am currently burning lignetics. Anybody have any opinions on these.thanks

From Central PA. Newville Area:
I'm burning somerset right now which I bought at lowes in Shippensburg. They are a good pellet for me. I have 2 tons of them & 1 ton of Hamers Hot Ones left from last year. They also are a excellent pellet. I haven't tried any of the other brands you have listed. Now I did try some Hardwood Heat Pellets ( Hamers Repackaged for TSC ) from the Carlisle TSC & they are excellent too.

myers7457 said:
were in mt holly and we bought ours from cedar grove in shippensburg!

I growed up just outside the town of Mt. Holly.

I live in Boiling Springs area & bought 2 tons of Sommerset @ Lowes in Carlisle. They don't have any left. Recently stopped by Wertz Coal Yard, in Mechanicsburg. They have Turmans @ $230, Power Pellets @$215, Wood Pellet Co.@ $215. Turmans are a super deal at that price. Might grab a ton at that price. My all time top 3 pellets are Hammer ultras, Somersets, Penn Woods. Followed closely by Turmans.

stillersnut said:
I live in Boiling Springs area & bought 2 tons of Sommerset @ Lowes in Carlisle. They don't have any left. Recently stopped by Wertz Coal Yard, in Mechanicsburg. They have Turmans @ $230, Power Pellets @$215, Wood Pellet Co.@ $215. Turmans are a super deal at that price. Might grab a ton at that price. My all time top 3 pellets are Hammer ultras, Somersets, Penn Woods. Followed closely by Turmans.

Don't know if this is because we live so close to each other & have been using the same kind of pellet in this area, but I have to say the same thing. I bought Turman from Wertz coal yard last year. They are a excellet pellet & burn SUPER nice. Not quite as hot burning as Hamer's or Somerset. I might stop down and get a few bags of Power pellets to try. I have been hearing & seeing some good comments on them.

I also have read good stuff on Power Pellets. So I stopped by Wertz on Thursday, purchased 12 bags. They are made by O'Malley, although lighter in color. I burnt a bag, and was very disappointed. They were hard to light, once I did get them burning, I only got a temp reading of 210. My Hammers burn @ 317, & Sometsets @ 305. I was disappointed. Maybe just a bad batch. I did sell them to my neighbor for horse bedding, so all was not lost.

What is your opinion of lignetics. What pellets would you say that are sold local are the cleanest yet provide high burn temps.

stillersnut said:
I also have read good stuff on Power Pellets. So I stopped by Wertz on Thursday, purchased 12 bags. They are made by O'Malley, although lighter in color. I burnt a bag, and was very disappointed. They were hard to light, once I did get them burning, I only got a temp reading of 210. My Hammers burn @ 317, & Sometsets @ 305. I was disappointed. Maybe just a bad batch. I did sell them to my neighbor for horse bedding, so all was not lost.

Thanks for that update, maybe I will pass now.

myers7457 said:
What is your opinion of lignetics. What pellets would you say that are sold local are the cleanest yet provide high burn temps.

Lignetics, I have never tried them. As far as a good local sold pellet, I tried a few bags of Hardwood Heat pellets from TSC in Carlisle here a couple of weeks ago & I was very happy with them. They are a repackaged pellet from Hamer's for resale at TSC stores. I know Agway in Carlisle has several different brands there, but I have never bought there yet & not sure what brand names they have.

Ligs used to be a solid pellet, however, they have almost got too big. They bag several types and blends. When they were just a hardwood pellet (green label) stating Hardwood, they were great. But now, they have various bags & blends, all of which pretty much suck. Agway in Carlisle sells Energex(hardwoods). Just an o.k. pellet. I have toured the plant in Mifflintown, and they bring sawdust from any & everywhere. With a piss poor economy & building market most mills are scrambling for product. I called Penn Wood flooring in East Berlin, a hardwood flooring co. that only uses there waste, they said you can pick up directly from them. I burned a few tons of Penn pellets in the past, & they had super heat w/low ash. They are a small, local co. & hand bag pellets on a limited basis. I would put them up against any pellet. They are mostly red/white oak. You have to call ahead and place order. The TSC Hardwood Heats are indeed Hammer, but not the Elkin plant ultras, still better than avg. I just picked up 25 bags. They are running $215 ton @ Carlisle TSC. AES is getting more Hammer Ultras in mid Dec. and Ill jump on that. Just call & give your name to reserve a batch. Of course, my pellet quest, is all about my stove. What works for me, might not be as great for you. Happy pellet searching, let's keep each other informed

stillersnut said:
Ligs used to be a solid pellet, however, they have almost got too big. They bag several types and blends. When they were just a hardwood pellet (green label) stating Hardwood, they were great. But now, they have various bags & blends, all of which pretty much suck. Agway in Carlisle sells Energex(hardwoods). Just an o.k. pellet. I have toured the plant in Mifflintown, and they bring sawdust from any & everywhere. With a piss poor economy & building market most mills are scrambling for product. I called Penn Wood flooring in East Berlin, a hardwood flooring co. that only uses there waste, they said you can pick up directly from them. I burned a few tons of Penn pellets in the past, & they had super heat w/low ash. They are a small, local co. & hand bag pellets on a limited basis. I would put them up against any pellet. They are mostly red/white oak. You have to call ahead and place order. The TSC Hardwood Heats are indeed Hammer, but not the Elkin plant ultras, still better than avg. I just picked up 25 bags. They are running $215 ton @ Carlisle TSC. AES is getting more Hammer Ultras in mid Dec. and Ill jump on that. Just call & give your name to reserve a batch. Of course, my pellet quest, is all about my stove. What works for me, might not be as great for you. Happy pellet searching, let's keep each other informed

stillersnut, Thats some awesome info!

Sounds like I need to try some of them Penn pellets, Oak pellets have always been good in my stove.

Jay, for all your hard work, if there is a way for me to get you a few bags to test, I will. I know you'll love the Penn pellets. Hand made and bagged in south central Pa. USA.

mikhen said:
From Oley, Pa, near Reading. We've been trying 4 or 5 bags at a time. So far I like american Wood Fibers from Lowe's, when they have them. Not expensive, either. The last ones we had from TSC didn't have much heat output. Think they were presto logs.

Just spent the day in Oley with my sister-in-law before heading back south! You DO realize that you have a coal breaker in Tamaqua (or is it Shamokin?) where you can buy coal for about $165 a ton, don't you? I continue to be amazed at how many pellet burners in SE Pa don't realize the value of burning coal and how many really beautiful coal stoves are made right in the area. Being 'Green' is no excuse for not being warm. :cheese:

Look at the comparison of heat between the two. http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm

http://www.readingstove.com/heating-stoves/coal-stoves/

http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/698400.html

http://www.keystoker.com/

All are made right in your backyard.

Great info Stiller. Curious to know what the Penn's are selling for. As for myself, I'm into the second season with the stove. I burned 1 ton of O'Malley's and 2.5 ton's of Hamer's last season. The O'malley's were decent and pretty clean but put out far less heat than the Hamer's. This year I've got 3 ton's of Turman's and a half ton of Hamer's stashed. I picked up the Turmans from Westy's in Shermansdale (Perry County) this past spring for $215. I scored the Hamer's from a True Value hardware store in Etters for $219 back in February ... they're $239 at present.

I burned 75 bags of O’Malley’s last year and they clinkered up and scaled my burn pot. The 25 bags of PPs were not much better. I finished the year off with Stove Chows and Lingentics red which I was more pleased with. So far this year I’m burning AWF that seem to be ok but a lot of fines in each bag.

gengle said:
Great info Stiller. Curious to know what the Penn's are selling for. As for myself, I'm into the second season with the stove. I burned 1 ton of O'Malley's and 2.5 ton's of Hamer's last season. The O'malley's were decent and pretty clean but put out far less heat than the Hamer's. This year I've got 3 ton's of Turman's and a half ton of Hamer's stashed. I picked up the Turmans from Westy's in Shermansdale (Perry County) this past spring for $215. I scored the Hamer's from a True Value hardware store in Etters for $219 back in February ... they're $239 at present.

Good pellet choices, you generally can't go wrong w/Turman or Hammers. I did not know Westys carried Turmans. I was just by his shop, heard he sells good BBQ, (smoked with Turmans?) hey anything is possible. Last time I call Penn Flooring, prices were running 230/ton. Pellets to be ready by mid November, pick up only. Seems like word is out here locally and there might be a wait list now, I'm going to call tomorrow. I'll post update when I find any new info.

Thanks again Stiller. Think I'll look into the Penn's next season and will likely head to the Carlisle area for some Sommersets ... all the box stores in the HBG area only had stove chow which I understand is not a bad choice but, after seeing torn and soaking wet pallets outside at both of the Lowes and HD, I passed them up. I'll be hunting up in Perry over the weekend and plan on trying some Westy's BBQ ... I'll report back on that. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

I Live in Mt. Holly. Currently running Presto logs from HD. They had stove chow early off but have since changed. Last 3 years have bought from Centerville feed and mineral, they have Instant heat and I wanted to try something else. Later in the year I may end up buying from them again if HD runs short. Don't forget about AES on Pine road. I am not sure what they sell but they are always a few bucks above Centerville.

tjnamtiw said:
mikhen said:

Just spent the day in Oley with my sister-in-law before heading back south! You DO realize that you have a coal breaker in Tamaqua (or is it Shamokin?) where you can buy coal for about $165 a ton, don't you? I continue to be amazed at how many pellet burners in SE Pa don't realize the value of burning coal and how many really beautiful coal stoves are made right in the area. Being 'Green' is no excuse for not being warm. :cheese:

Look at the comparison of heat between the two. http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm

http://www.readingstove.com/heating-stoves/coal-stoves/

http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/698400.html

http://www.keystoker.com/

All are made right in your backyard.

And tack on my 8 miles to the gallon Truck, overloading it by 1/4 ton for a long drive over back roads, and probably not having off work when they are open, plus the storage......I'll stick with pellets.
Trust me, all this went into our decision to get a pellet stove.
So how did you like Oley?

Wood Heat in Quakertown sells the Great American pellets. The price I got last week was $239/ton. I am getting my AE insert from them and a ton of those pellets are included.

+1 mikhen. Not to mention the coal dust/dirt and emptying an ash pan daily. I took a hard look at coal until I saw a pellet stove in person. I couldn't be happier with it and have not looked back once.

Status
Not open for further replies.