Pellets in Maine $239.00 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrat

May 28, 2008
Maine
Saw this Ad in the Lewiston Sun Journal , Tuesday May 5th.

"WOOD PELLETS made in Ashland, ME. by Northeast pellets, Spring special, $239.00 per ton. Blanchard Cash Fuel, Turner , Me 225-3588"

Anyone know anything about these pellets, Hardwood,soft, high ash etc etc.
looks like competition is starting to bring the price down..

bill

Hi, I just checked on those pellets at Blanchard Energy in Turner Maine and I will go pick up a bag to try. Here is what I was told. Those pellets come from a mill in Ashland Maine as you already stated. They are supposedly a mixture of 50% soft and 50% hardwood, bark and sawdust. The lady claims that the bag says " Low Ash, Clean Burning, Premium" but without strict regulations, I suppose anyone can mark anything they want on the bag. I will buy a bag to try and even though it's too warm to run the stove, I will burn them even if I have to open some windows. I really don't want to buy 2 tons without knowing much about them. Even burning one bag doesn't tell you everthing, but it's better than not trying them at all, and I like the $239.00 per ton price which is about what I paid last year at Lowes. Good luck with your search. By the way, that mill in Ashland had a bad fire in April but they had many tons saved up out behind their mill. They were insured and are in the process of rebuilding right now and the lady in Turner said the fire would not not hurt them that much.
Roland, in Auburn

. ( They are supposedly a mixture of 50% soft and 50% hardwood, bark and sawdust)
I believe if they have bark in them there not considerd premium,I could be wrong but dont think i am.

mnkywrnch-

I see you have LG Granules- have you burned them before? Hardwood or softwood, Can you compare to Energex, Lignetics, Cubex, or Northeast pellets? The best deal that I can find is on these in Central Maine, I burned Energex last season, and liked them reasonably well, but can the LG's are relatively the same price and have heard good things so i would like to try them, complaint about Energex was pretty high ash compared to the Lignetics and Cubex. Thansk for any input that you may have.

utilitrack I burned 15 bags at the end of this season and thought they burned very good,they did have some fines not too much though,they are 100% softwood spruce and pine I believe,I have burned energex and lignetics but not the other two the heat output was IMO in line with both lignetics and energex with energex having the most ash then the lgs lignetics had the least amount of ash.BTW the lignetics and energex had more fines than the lgs atleastwith the bags I had.If you can get the lgs for the same price as the energex I would go with the lgs. :)

I stand corrected, and I would venture to guess that Mnkywrnch is correct regarding his statement about the 50-50 mix with the bark and the use of the word "Premium". I just picked up a bag of the Northeast Pellets at Blanchard Energy in Turner, and I think I know where I got confused. The Blanchard rep showed me two samples of pellets, one from Maine Woods Pellets in Athens Maine and the others were from Northeast. The Athens Maine pellets were very dark in color and those pellets DO contain bark. The pellets from Northeast were very light colored, and I don't believe those have any bark in them. Blanchard Energy used to sell the Maine Woods pellets until they had their problem last year, and I think he told me that he ended up taking back a sizable amount to pacify his customers. He told me that he had burned the Maine Woods, (the dark ones) for part of last year and found that he had to clean his burn pot every 2 days in order to keep it burning right; and he said if left large sized clinkers in the burn pot. But he said when he switched to the Northeast pellets (the lighter colored pellets) he only had to clean his burn pot once a week, and he said that they burned a lot cleaner. I will give the Northeast pellets a try in the next few days, and if they seem to burn OK, right now I am leaning towards buying from Blanchard Energy. I apologize for the mix-up in my original post re: the bark.

Reactions: mattbell
I havent seen any of the "barky" Maine wood pellets...all of the pellets we've received from the Athens plant have been light in color. Once upon a time, we sol dIndustrial Grade wood pellets.....greater than 3% ash, chocolate brown, and smelled like a pine forest. We stopped carrying them because folks would buy them (cheaper), only to find out they couldnt burn them in certain fussy stoves.....then when they cant burn them, you end up taking them back, and as pellets are handled, broken bags, shaky skids, etc.....no thank you.

I am glad to hear that as I have 6 tons of these in my driveway, haven't burned any yet, hoping for good results.

mnkywrnch said:
utilitrack I burned 15 bags at the end of this season and thought they burned very good,they did have some fines not too much though,they are 100% softwood spruce and pine I believe,I have burned energex and lignetics but not the other two the heat output was IMO in line with both lignetics and energex with energex having the most ash then the lgs lignetics had the least amount of ash.BTW the lignetics and energex had more fines than the lgs atleastwith the bags I had.If you can get the lgs for the same price as the energex I would go with the lgs. :)

Thanks for the input mnkywrnch>>>>

northeast pellets are a good middle of the pack pellet.. we have sold over one hundred ton of these, and have had some pretty positive feedback... while they are not super premium like the cubex, we could run them in our harman P68 for about 4 weeks before the pan needed to be emptied. The heat output was superb, and they are quite a bargain right now compared to other, higher priced pellets. Definatly better than the energex, appling county, maine woods, corinth, etc.

mnkywrnch said:
. ( They are supposedly a mixture of 50% soft and 50% hardwood, bark and sawdust)
I believe if they have bark in them there not considerd premium,I could be wrong but dont think i am.

You aren't...
these pellets will burn dirty and cause massive clinkers.
But at least they are up front telling you the pellets suck!
They really should be honest as just write sub-premium pellets on the bag....

Status
Not open for further replies.