Pellets in Southern Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick post (first time) to inform folks in Southern Maine of the availability of both the new Maine's Choice pellet, and the Okanagan pellet from British Columbia. In stock and ready for immediate delivery in York & Cumberland Counties.

If you're interested in trying a couple bags of each before you committ to an entire pallet, contact us with the information below and we can arrange for you to pick-up several bags @ $5.00/bag. Visit our website for directions and contact information to our Wells and Windham locations. In following this forum throughout the year, many are leary of purchasing an entire pallet of product before they have the opportunity to try them out. While we still have chilly evenings ahead, now would be the time to conduct your own experiment on these two brands of pellets.

I conducted my own experiment several weeks ago before we committed to carrying the Maine's Choice and the Okanagan pellets. In my non-scientific test, I burnt three bags of each of Energex Shur Blaze (Lac-Megantic blend), Okanagan, Maine's Choice and the Maine Woods. I thoroughly cleaned the stove after each test by brushing all available ash down into the ash pan.

My first test was with three bags of the Okanagan pellet. High heat, and 4.9 ounces of ash collected and weighed. Next, came the Energex pellets. Not quite as hot as the Okanagan, and 11.5 ounces of ash from three bags. Next, Maine's Choice. More heat than Energex but not quite as hot as the Okanagan, and 6.1 ounces of ash from three bags. Finally, Maine Woods yielded less heat of the four brands and 17.5 ounces of ash. I know that this is totally unscientific, but the results reflect the stated ash values of the four brands, with Okanagan at .38%, Maine's Choice at .47%, Energex .60%, and Maine Woods at .87%. These numbers are the latest independent lab results for three of the four brands (Energex would not release their data, so I am using information that I found on another web site for ash and btu values). Btu and ash values on all products that we carry are available on our website at www.woodpellets4me.com.

If you like to experiment like I do, consider giving the Okanagan and Maine's Choice a try. For a brand new pellet, I am very impressed with the heat output and low ash of the Maine's Choice. And the Okanagan pellet is the well known Westwood softwood pellet with a great track record. By far the hottest pellet that I have used (my first year burning with my Enviro EF2).

I would invite those who have the opportunity to test these pellets to post their findings so that others can benefit from the information. I look forward to your respones.

Sincerely,

Bob Maurais, Southern Maine Renewable Fuels

I just got off the phone with Bob. Seems like a nice enough man. I mentioned I have tried every brand available in the state of Maine. I will try the 2 news ones his company is offering. It is supposed to get up to the 80's here this weekend. I don't believe that I will be trying any this weekend. There is a cold front coming into the area next week. The temperatures are supposed to go back down to the 40's in the days and low 30's at night. I will try them then. I encourage any people from York or Cumberland County to give him a call or go and buy a few bags. Try them out for yourself. He has a coupon for $10 off if you purchase a ton or more. What the heck.....we have nothing to loose. I will give a full report after I get done burning them.

The Okanagan pellets are great. I bought a ton from them. The heat from them is amazing. The Maine Choice are a great pellet as well, really good heat as well, I burned 4 bags to test. I have a Santa Fe as well and both would be a good choice.

How was the clinkers????

I bought 4 tons of Okanagan pellets this morning ...the sales guys uses soft wood Okanagan pellets so I went on his advise...
Wont know till next fall....but im hoping it works out

I was just curious about this company woodpellets4me.com.
I went to their website and they said they had a business in Windham.
I took down the address and I figured I go buy a couple of bags to see if I liked them before commiting to a larger order.
I drove up and down the road that the business was suppose to be on and finally I noticed that there was a residential house with a lot of pellets outside sitting on skids. I didn't drive in to the house's driveway because it didn't look like a business. I believe I saw a little sign that indicated that this was the businesses location. I'm a little reluctant to go in and check them out since the pellets are stored outside. I was also a little surprised because I was looking for a store versus someone's house. Anyway.
What's the opinion of outside storage to someone in this forum when your going to buy pellets from someone?

Wayne

don't bother me any if they are shrink wrapped good. but alot on here seem to mind.
I've never had a prob and my dealer stores outside.

the okanagan pellets are winners! we've been running them at the shop since the end of winter, no complaints, very low ash and consistent heat output!

Sosuthern Maine Renewable Fuels has two locations, the first at 356 North Berwick Road in Wells, and the second in Widham. We've just signed a lease in Windham to house our pellets indoors beginning in two weeks. We are not set-up as a retail dealer, as 98% of our business is delivering pellets to the homes of our customers. We do, however, allow folks to visit both physical locations (by appointment) who want to stop-in and purchase a few bags to test or to pick-up a ton of product. Once people see how reasonable our delivery schedule is, they quickly recognize that their time is money, and we are well positioned to save them a bit of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.