Pellets in wood burning VC stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ynotwood

Oct 26, 2007
SE MA
Has anyone burned wood pellets in a wood burning stove?

A friend is moving and has a number of bagged pellets. He offered them to me for my wood buring Vermont Castings Resolute.
Can they be used in the stove?

No, I do not plan to act like an auger on a pellet stove and add pellets every 5 minutes. :)

I've seen a basket that mounts inside the stove..ya fill the basket and light the pellets I think.

I have seen baskets for sale where you place the basket in the stove, fill it with pellets, and light it. I don't think they will work well, as pellet stoves use forced air in a burn pot, and you won't have this ability in a wood stove. Will the burn, yes, but in all likelihood, they will probably just burn and smolder.

-- Mike

Years ago I discussed this at length with the top stove engineers and designers in the industry. They basically said what Mike said - they will not work right, will burn inefficiently (if at all) and generally cause trouble. If there was truly a good pellet basket, it would sell very well....but I have heard no such reports and would doubt that many were sold (this was over 10 years ago!).

Status
Not open for further replies.