Pellets in Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Anyone try burning pellets in a basket in a wood stove? Have seen baskets for sale for this purpose.

bikerz said:
Anyone try burning pellets in a basket in a wood stove? Have seen baskets for sale for this purpose.

Don't answer. My bad! Didn't think to use the search engine :red:

bikerz said:
bikerz said:

Don't answer. My bad! Didn't think to use the search engine :red:

Kudos! Most folks never think to "search". I'm sure you've found several threads with lots of perspectives discussed.

Interesting. Wonder if pellets would be hard on a cat stove?

You'd have to come up with a way to get them in the basket which is in the stove, maybe pour into a pail and shovel them into the basket?

NATE379 said:
Interesting. Wonder if pellets would be hard on a cat stove?

You'd have to come up with a way to get them in the basket which is in the stove, maybe pour into a pail and shovel them into the basket?

Most pellets are between 3%-7% M/C. I wouldnt think they would hurt the cat. Wet wood is the killer right? I could be wrong. With the low smolder burn of a cat stove. It may not provide enough air to keep the pellets burning. Or burning hot enough to keep the cat lit?

Maybe an experiment here?

I'm just thinking the glue or whatever is used to make the pellets.

NATE379 said:
Lol Glue.....? :coolsmirk:
Snot bubble laugh......that's awesome!

someone not to long ago made a post about using a home made basket to burn pellets.

I'll be the first to ask why? I would get manufacturers advice first. Don't "experiment" with your families safety.

NATE379 said:

The lignin in the wood is a natural binder. No glues involved. Just wood fiber thats processed at the right temp and moisture levels.

I'll toss a handful in on top of some newspaper knots if I'm too lazy to split up a bunch of kindling

Finally tried the bungee cord trick though so making kindling is a breeze so I'll probably leave the pellets in the pellet stove (that burns pistachio shells quite well if you're too lazy to walk 15' to the trash)

tsc003 said:
I'll be the first to ask why? I would get manufacturers advice first. Don't "experiment" with your families safety.

Not much of an experiment with the family's safety. Worst case they won't burn worth crap and you have a cold stove.

Now stuffing the stove full of dry cord wood on top of hot coals with a stove top temp of 600 is a whole nother issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.