Pellets not dropping evenly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2010
Southern NH
My Whitfield Advantage III seems to not drop pellets all the time when the auger turns (new auger), sometimes it will drop allot and put the fire out. I put it on #4 setting and doesn't have the output like last year? I cleaned the whole stove twice, baffles removed, blower out and cleaned, etc, etc. The only change is I am running Green Supremes and last year the regular NEWP pellets. Any idea's??

How long are the pellet's, Whit's do NOT like long pellets, shorter the better, main reason I only buy certain pellet's, Green Teams are mostly long, so I bought Somerset's last spring.

I notice that the Green Surpremes have allot of small bits in them, lot of sparks flying also. I didn't have trouble with long pellets last year, it seems that small pieces are coming out then by the time the long ones fall the fire is almost out. I guess I'll have to make a sifter.

Make sure that the auger motor is turning properly.

Just because the light goes on and off does not mean that the thing is always turning properly.

I have two Whits here at home and they will feed most anything I dump in.

Normally we run ground up nut shells. This stuff has pieces that are about the size of your little finger nail and smaller.

This stuff feed excellent, but even this stuff will see some on cycles that very little falls out the tube, then the next cycle will drop a BUNCH.

The pellets can sort of get bunched up and then hang together until they are far enough out over the drop tube that ma gravity gets a good hold on them and they fall.

As mentioned the smaller pieces will usually work better. The long ones can sort of tangle together and hold up the process some.

I would check the motor to be sure its working right and then maybe switch brands.

Snowy

Snowy, you said Just because the light goes on and off does not mean that the thing (auger) is always turning properly?? If the vac switch is partially plugged with soot will it do this? I noticed when I left the stove on #4 pellet feed over night it didn't use nearly as much as it did last year on that setting any ideas?

Northeaster2010 said:
Snowy, you said Just because the light goes on and off does not mean that the thing (auger) is always turning properly?? If the vac switch is partially plugged with soot will it do this? I noticed when I left the stove on #4 pellet feed over night it didn't use nearly as much as it did last year on that setting any ideas?

If the vacuum switch keeps cutting in and out it will create feeding issues as when the switch is off there will be no turning auger. Off long enough, no fire and a fault.

If the tube is partially plugged it is easier for external influences both outside at the vent and inside at the air intake to cause the vacuum switch to change state.

Status
Not open for further replies.