pellets not dropping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xtreme77mopar

Mar 18, 2008
SInking Spring, Pa
I just installed a england pelet stove, but im having a problem with my pellets hanging p in the hopper. Not too bad on the weekends when i can keep an eye on them, but i WORK 12-15HRS a day and when I come home the stove is out. Is there some sort of trick to this fix. Also, it says never to open the hopper lid when the stove is running, so everytime I want to check to see how much is in the hopper I have to go through the shutdown process? Sory for the noob questions but hey beter safe than sorry.

THanks in advance

xtreme77mopar said:
it says never to open the hopper lid when the stove is running, so everytime I want to check to see how much is in the hopper I have to go through the shutdown process?

Hey xtreme -

I don't have the same kind of stove, I have a Harman, which I got last month, but I would be shocked if you weren't supposed to open the hopper when the stove is running. That would be something like shutting your car engine off at every stop sign and traffic light. With my Harman, you can open the lid for something like 3 minutes at a time, which is plenty of time to fill it. Once I left it open by accident and the stove did shut down.

I have an Englander, and I always open the hopper when it's running. No need to shut it down just to add pellets, or pile them up towards the middle of the hopper which is something I do a couple of times a day. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they say not to operate the stove with the hopper open as it could be a safety issue. I think it's ok to open, as long as you don't leave it open. Keeping it closed will contain a hopper fire, if for some strange reason that might occur. Just remember, if you are going to move the pellets towards the center of the hopper by hand, make sure you don't dig too far down and get your hand caught in the auger. I have a small metal ash shovel that I use to move pellets around with so I don't accidently dig down too deep and lose a finger!

I do not have an Englander, but I am sure you should be able to open the hopper
to reload without any problems, but just don't leave it open.
That would be kinda silly if they expect you to shutdown everytime the stove needs to be fed.

the reason for that statement in the manual is twofold, first we do not want the hopper to be left open for any length of time , secondly there is a moving part in the bottom of the hopper (the auger) so there could be a "pinch hazard" associated. with that moving part there we have to ask that the unit be in the off mode whaich disables that auger when the hopper is open in units whaich do not have a switch that will stop it.

Hey xtreme77mopar,

I have an Englander 25pdv and ran into the same problem as you, pellets always hanging up in the hopper. Instead of wasting your time waxing, sanding or buffing the hopper metal to make it smoother, simply go buy a roll of aluminum tape, not duct tape but real aluminum tape and cover the slides with it in a single layer starting at the bottom and working up so the overlap of the tape makes a smooth transition, similar to the shingles on your roof. This tape is very smooth and slipery and makes an ideal hopper coating. Once I did this the pellets glide down the hopper with ease. As far as opening the hopper lid to fill the stove or check the pellets, this is not a problem.

Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.