pellets on the loose/dogs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tym4pellets

Nov 23, 2011
lower westchester co ny
Ok, many of you are OCD about filling the hopper, I understand that , But my goal is to feed hopper routinely without dropping any on the floor. I am trying to perfect that due to tthe fact that one of my dogs thinks its a bag of dry dog food. Anybody have pet issues with pellets, I dont think they are too bad for them except they swell up ,I am surprised that he even will try twice. that said I cant believe I cant fill the hop without spilling something.Sorry if this has been discussed before.

fill the hopper one pail at a time AND filter out the dust at the same time! 15# per pail.

Attachments

• tn_IMGP1521.jpg
    tn_IMGP1521.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 418
  • tn_IMGP1523.jpg
    tn_IMGP1523.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 399
tjnamtiw said:
fill the hopper one pail at a time AND filter out the dust at the same time! 15# per pail.

Very nice..... I like that. Do you have a build sheet on it? My sifter works great. But its a small Colander and have to be careful. I could incorporate the Shop vac in the area behind the screen and suck the fines through the box.

Love it! ;-P

Both my dogs eat pellets. I'm thinking my docter keeps telling me to eat more fiber hmmmm.

DexterDay said:
tjnamtiw said:

Very nice..... I like that. Do you have a build sheet on it? My sifter works great. But its a small Colander and have to be careful. I could incorporate the Shop vac in the area behind the screen and suck the fines through the box.

Love it! ;-P

There's a floor in it below the screen so it can accumulate a winter's worth of dust. I do have the plans for it. Have to go searching. :) Just sit the bag up there and cut out the corner with a knife.

oldmountvernon said:
I like that setup too.Save those fines for Speedy dry ;) i used it before on an oil spill works well. But i havent had any issues with fines YET Green Supremes dont have many fines, but i noticed the Hardwood Heat have alot more. While watching pellets drop out of the chute today i noticed some fines sliding down as well. Is the Mt Vernon AE known to have any trouble with fines ?

Does your auger look like this?? (Spring) A screw and cylinder type auger handles fines much better. The Spring style lets most accumulate at the bottom of the hopper.

Attachments

• Quadauger2.jpg
    Quadauger2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 301
tj, what are you using for the screen on that sifter?

xraycer said:
tj, what are you using for the screen on that sifter?

I put 1/4" hardware cloth in it but it was too wide so I layered on the widest metal window screening I could find. If I had it to do over, I would just use the window screen, of course. I can't find my drawings! I think I have them in AutoCad down on my old computer in the basement. By the way, I can't take the credit for the design since someone else had posted a picture of theirs about two years ago. They had it in their living room!!!

My big guy (English Foxhound @ 100#) has just developed a taste for pellets, he seems to prefer Premier Pellets to AWF. But he is big enough to get just about anything (including the kids' socks from time to time) through his system. My guess is that when I break out the Great Americans or Cubex he will like them even more.

The little girl (American Rat Terrier) has, fortunately, not developed the same taste.

I have Google Sketch Up drawings of the box if anyone wants them. Just email me and I'll send them to you. For some reason, I can't use the Email function......................

Status
Not open for further replies.