PELLETS? PELLETS? COLLEGE COURSE.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caughtintheact

Nov 18, 2014
Eastern Pa.
New to the pellet stove area and a new comer to this web site, when we (wife) decided to buy a pellet stove to ease the wallet with the electric, we figured or should I say I figured it would be just load the hopper, set it and forget it.. Well.... not so much... I bought to have on hand 3 tons of Barefoot Pellets, someone told me they were very good, so I figured with the shortage of pellets in the area last year I should stock up.. while the Barefoots are awaiting there use for the season I decided on trying a few of the other brands, all brands that I tried were close with the heat output and all the same pretty much with ash, the brands that I tried so far are: AWF, Stove Chow, Green Team, Heat rs', like I said pretty much all the same, the worst brand I've tried to date is Green Supreme from Home Depot.. very dirty and a thick carbon deposit on burn pot...but like I said I thought it was going to be easy... not the case, not knowing with each brand some adjustments had to be made to make the stove burn effectively and time after time I see myself trying to get it the best that I can, the wife says: its good the way it is, but thats not me, I searched and searched many web sites like this one and many many good folks like yourselves would comment on different brands, techniques and tips... sometimes I feel like I need a college course to keep up with all the different techniques and mixes of air to pellets and so forth. Its going to be interesting this winter and I'm quite sure I'll learn a lot, mostly thru my mistakes.. but I'm very glad if I need a question answered you folks are here to help me and my wife with our new science project this winter.

Have a happy holiday everyone.

Oh great.... more to read and learn about.... like I said, I think its back to college for me....Thanks Woody for the link, I will be reading up on more kinds of pellets..

I think that's all part of the fun. In the end, every pellet brand I tried keeps me warm so far and all require less ash disposal than my former wood stove. I am thoroughly enjoying my pellet stove experience thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrr211
Have you ever run a wood stove? Every day is different. Wind, outside air temp, humidity all can affect the draft of your chimney. No two pieces or armloads of wood are alike. My stove is sitting here waiting to be installed this weekend. I'll be joining your learning experience soon. But I bought an old Enviro EF2, which is about as manual, non-automatic as it gets. I can adjust feed rate, damper, convection blower speed, and I can try different pellet brands. I expect that there will be plenty of nights where I get up to check the stove, and I'll have to tweak something. My goal is to keep it somewhere between "warm enough" and "kinda too warm here."

Status
Not open for further replies.