Pellets piling up in firepot below 10ºF.. Tired of it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't get a more straight flame you either have a vacuum or draft problem. The vacuum problem could be thorny. Lots of possible causes. The draft problem, well, after all you've done the only thing I can think of is exhaust size. One other question: If I red ypu right the problem exists when the temp goes below 10f but nothing else is changed, including feed rate?

Well, I do try to leave it on a higher settings in the colder weather to keep the house warmer, but as of last year, yes, the problem occurs on level 3 at 5 degrees but not at 15 degrees.

The pictures posted reflect about 8 hours of burning at level 5. I'm not sure if the same thing would happen at level 3..havent tried.

Well, I do try to leave it on a higher settings in the colder weather to keep the house warmer, but as of last year, yes, the problem occurs on level 3 at 5 degrees but not at 15 degrees.

The pictures posted reflect about 8 hours of burning at level 5. I'm not sure if the same thing would happen at level 3..havent tried.
OK. If you are increasing the feed rate and then getting overflow you are not getting enough air to burn your pellets. See Smokey's last post for possible reasons. I'm starting to think your vent is too small.

Ok. Stack is 4 inch. I have the high output exhaust fan blower.
BTW I can leave the draft knob pulled all the way out and it will still pile up overnight.

Stove is not rated to burn corn on a setting of 5 for more than the daily high fire of ten to 15 minutes to help clean the passages.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Ok. Stack is 4 inch. I have the high output exhaust fan blower.
BTW I can leave the draft knob pulled all the way out and it will still pile up overnight.

Having the draft all the way open is an invitation to pile up as well as having it all the way closed.

Starting at the stove would you please list every piece of pipe in the vent system along with its length and whether it is horizontal or vertical.

I already know it is 4", along with that information I also need the length of the OAK and how it is routed to its outside termination and a picture of that termination.

Did I miss the corn burning somewhere?

I don't think so, I believe that bioburner was just stating one of the stoves limitations.

It is good to know about because it indicates that either the combustion or convection air flow can't keep up with the feed system under certain conditions.

St. Croix (stoves) also doesn't support prolonged burning at flat out.

Something was making that flame blow sideways. Gravity only makes flames go up. So where is the wind that is driving the flame to the side coming from? It has to be either a leak or air swirling off the opening at the edge of the firepot.

Bobcat698- Has the "new" firepot held up well and alleviated the problems you were having? My friend and I have the same stove as you and we have the same issue. It simply feeds too fast I think. I just started burning with it and it had never been used before and it gives me headaches every time I set it on 3 or higher. My burn pot is brand new and the same thing happens. I just came across this thread and was wondering if there was anything else you had come up with to help seeing as your previous remedies hadn't worked out.

Someone had modified Bobcats original pot as well as it was not seating properly if my memory recalls and the used original pot solved his problem. Bobcat got back to me about another issue and I hopefully set him down the proper path as I have not heard from him again.
Have you pulled out the draft slide a bit to increase the air into the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.