Pellets that are garbage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Face it they are all crap and you should just go back to burning oil. Let me offer my assistance in removing those tons of pellets that you may have so you dont have to complain about them. I would even be willing not to charge you to remove all those garbage pellets you may have.. There problem solved. I will burn them all for ya..

I have an Englander stove and it just seems very fussy with the pellets.I have tried probably 12 or so different brands and the only one it seems to like are Hammers.I called the techs at Englander and they told me to adjust the 3 buttons on the bottom(591) but its still real touchy with the pellets.Green Supreme was probably the wosrt.

Greg A

Englander 25 PDV

greggo730 said:
I have an Englander stove and it just seems very fussy with the pellets.I have tried probably 12 or so different brands and the only one it seems to like are Hammers.I called the techs at Englander and they told me to adjust the 3 buttons on the bottom(591) but its still real touchy with the pellets.Green Supreme was probably the wosrt.reg Englander 25 PDV

I tend to agree, the stove has a lot to do with how a certain brand will burn. There seems to be at least someone, that hates about every pellet out there. My stove does not seem that fussy, but I have only burned Energex and Pennington. I really like the energex.

I have burned about 30 bags of the Penningtons Natures Heat from Home Depot so far...besides having to sift them..every bag because of the hand fulls of sawdust in EVERY bag they burn great.well great so far as i have not burned anything else yet to compare them to. I have a huge pile of sawdust outside the garage from the sifting process.i will probably not buy them again because of this.oh well its me first year and im learning.

I have been buring Spruce Pointe (softwood) and I love them. They burn hot, not sure about the ash compared with others becasue this is my first year.

I have mostly Pennington's from HD. They turned out to be last years so they have a lot of Fines. Keeping the fines out of the stove is the only problem. Otherwise they burn good and leave little ash. Although they do dirty the glass alot. I tried this years Penningtons from Walmart, they were smaller and darker and no fines and burned hotter. Ialso tried Green team, they looked like this years Peeningtons, no fines, but alot of ash. A bag of Penningtons, I had maybe 1/2" of ash, a bag of Green Team, Over 2" of ash each time.

Green Team has been good for me. Have some Lignetics Presto Logs that others have raved about that I do not care for....

Worst pellets i have used are BIO PLUS!!!, sold at Walmart/Sams? 4-5 yrs ago, they are hard to light, burn very low,have 1 bag left, the smelliest pellets were STOVE CHOW!!, before they went under...why i dont know, they used some kind of wood from washington so i heard, the smell was the raw pellets not while burning!

I've got 2 tons of Greenway Premium. They've got to be the worst.

Have you see the pic of the ash build-up in the Big-E that someone recently posted?

I wish my Big-E looked that clean. The Greenways leave the pot almost full of thick ash after a couple of days (7 hours per day).

ive burned...

lignetics, green and orange , love both all around best pellets ive used
pennington's natures own, burned well but had a slightly lower than average heat output for me
hardwood heat (TSC store brand) loved em!
clean energy(lowes store brand) was happy with them
corinth they were ok but not fantastic
barefoot burned well decent heat
marthwood wonderful pellet wish i could get more one of the best performing pellets ive burned right up there with lignetics
energex was happy with them
propellets, got those from eric at Kinsman stoves , would recommend them in a heartbeat as well , put them near the top of my list , might have been higher but i only brought a single bag back from ohio left the rest with my sister. as always , thanks to eric for taking the time to run to his other store and sell and load a ton for me on the fly!

im sure there are a few more but the names escape me. ive never run into a pellet which was "terrible" but each of the brands ive burned have all had certain charactoristics which some may like and others may not. as for heat lignetics shade the marthwood by just a touch but i'd be happy as a clam to burn either at any time. at the other end , the coninth pellets and the penningtons were probably my least favorites though they were in my opinion acceptable pellets in the case of the penningtons they did burn cleaner than the others but for whatever reason the stove physically didnt get as hot , same with the corinths but they were one of the dirtier ones i'd burned.

one thing ive learned in my work, one mans trash is another mans treasure. i migt take a call and have a customer say "brand x burns great in my stove ,and brand y is junk" the next guy would say brand y was good and he didnt like brand x.

I just got a p68 and burning pennington pellets. So far burning great although they say p68 burn anything. Got my pellets from home depot and I also have tidy timbers but have not burnt any as of yet. I do believe the quality of burn is closely related to the moisture content ie. the storage of the pellet. I will try to get my pellets earlier this year to keep the price down. If you are from CT I heard that bt pellet in britol is a company that keeps all of their pellets indoors. Nice and dry with controlled temps. Just what I like.

I actually like the Fireside Ultras. Barefoot's are my favorite, but I can't find them anywhere yet this season.

Ok so sometimes you get some bad pellets in you supply.

The question is how do you get a refund for the DAMAGED bags?

I'm about half way though a 1.4 ton skid and I have found 3 water damaged bags already. My other 2 skids are still fully shrink wrapped from the delivery. I would rather not unwrap the unused pallets but my curiosity is starting to get the better of me.

I had a hard enough time just getting the pellets, I can imagine trying to get a refund or replacement.

You forgot conclusion # 3 . Most but not all on this post are relatively newbies & don't know their stove yet . I was one of the 1st to get Athens & hated them, i figured out wood is wood wether it be dry,seasoned or green. You gotta adjust your stove accordingly. It's not rocket science, just common sense

You forgot conclusion # 3 . Most but not all on this post are relatively newbies & don't know their stove yet . I was one of the 1st to get Athens & hated them, i figured out wood is wood wether it be dry,seasoned or green. You gotta adjust your stove accordingly. It's not rocket science, just common sense . My pellets burn pretty good now. I just have to tweek the stove a bit every now & then Muss

please302 said:
I just got a p68 and burning pennington pellets. So far burning great although they say p68 burn anything. Got my pellets from home depot and I also have tidy timbers but have not burnt any as of yet. I do believe the quality of burn is closely related to the moisture content ie. the storage of the pellet. I will try to get my pellets earlier this year to keep the price down. If you are from CT I heard that bt pellet in britol is a company that keeps all of their pellets indoors. Nice and dry with controlled temps. Just what I like.

From everything I have been reading, this is the most important issue (next to keeping your stove clean).... how dry is your fuel. I have been storing some bags on my front porch (just a big overhang) as a convenience and noticed a dampness in the feel of the fuel out of the bag. Also, the clinkers are
more evident vs. just fine ash in the pot. I have the bulk of my load in the garage and have switched to bringing over what I need vs. the convenience of the porch. Big difference.

muss said:
You forgot conclusion # 3 . Most but not all on this post are relatively newbies & don't know their stove yet . I was one of the 1st to get Athens & hated them, i figured out wood is wood wether it be dry,seasoned or green. You gotta adjust your stove accordingly. It's not rocket science, just common sense . My pellets burn pretty good now. I just have to tweek the stove a bit every now & then Muss

Sorry, the company has now admitted that these have bark in them (which disqualify them for Premium label) and that they had problems with the line at first.
So, glad you have your stove working but these are still junk and it is not just our ignorance. They burn in my stove too but they crumble into sawdust everytime they are handled. I do hear the later batches at least hold their pellet shape. You may have been lucky enough to have a better batch.

Pellet-King said:
Worst pellets i have used are BIO PLUS!!!, sold at Walmart/Sams? 4-5 yrs ago, they are hard to light, burn very low,have 1 bag left, the smelliest pellets were STOVE CHOW!!, before they went under...why i dont know, they used some kind of wood from washington so i heard, the smell was the raw pellets not while burning!

i just bought a few bags of stove chow at depot over the weekend to try them out, they smell a bit like particle board, not too bad
wonder how they got those bags if the company went under

pellet0708 said:
muss said:

Sorry, the company has now admitted that these have bark in them (which disqualify them for Premium label) and that they had problems with the line at first.
So, glad you have your stove working but these are still junk and it is not just our ignorance. They burn in my stove too but they crumble into sawdust everytime they are handled. I do hear the later batches at least hold their pellet shape. You may have been lucky enough to have a better batch.

I also expect that they were over the moisture line as well. I'll burn those that I have but no more until I know that they are truly premium grade, I don't want to spend any more than once a day playing in the fire.

My PA pellets are crap. TOOOOONS of dust, wicked bad clinkers, and the pellets range in size from 1/8" to 2.5". They also burn way colder than the bag of New England Wood Pellets I just tried.

anybody want to buy a ton?

pellet0708 said:
muss said:

When did they admit to that?

In the long original Athens thread someone spoke with the plant. They also told my distributor that there were a lot of early issues with raw materials that have been fixed.

I have 3 tons of Pennington (yellow bag - says premium wood but not premium pellets) they are horrible. LOTS of fines in most bags, some fines in the rest. Have also had to deal with water damage - some ruined entire bag - others caused by small holes in bags that leave damaged pellets (puffballs). I have to hand sift each bag to keep from cleaning constantly

Also have a ton of New England Pellets and they are great. Hope to join pellet pigs in spring by buying 4-5 tons from New England Pellet only.

I dont seem to be getting the heat output from the Pa. pellets as I did with the Armstrongs last season. The pa. are hardwood where as the Armstrong were softwood. Om using more pellets to keep as warm with the pa. also.
Im not impressed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.