Pellets to Avoid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outerlimits

Nov 25, 2010
West MI
As we all know, every year is different in the pellet world as far as quality and brands available due to geographic location. However, there are a few brands of pellets that I have found to consistently be low performers. Just to be clear, I run a Harmon P38 which is running strong into its 8th year. As already discussed in many prior threads, every stove burns pellets differently. What pellets should be avoided or not worth spending those hard-earned dollars on?
1. Michigan/North Country wood pellets
2. Maeder Brothers

Unfortunately, these brands seem to be clogging up the market in my area as I am from Michigan. Anyways, love the website and great discussions. I wish I would have had the information that many people freely give out here when I first started burning pellets as this site has really helped me with maintaining my stove and giving me ideas as far as what pellets to try. Again, thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Down here in the South, avoid Carolina Wood Pellets. They vary in length from 4" to crumbles in EVERY BAG! Emails to them go unanswered and they still demand $250 a ton! I have two tons of the junk to go through before I can get some RockWood pellets, which were great last year but unavailable around me this year. I'll drive to get them now!

Also didn't care for the Pennywise pellets made by Marth!

Carolina Wood Pellets and infernos, lousy heat and way to much ash

Marth in brown bag - I found way too much ash and dirt!!!

Marth hardwoods... way too much ash. The softwoods aren't too bad...

avoid pellets stored outside.

Eric

I'm having a difficult time finding any decent pellets locally. OK and as far as locally, I mean within 70 miles.

I do NOT like OHP brand, they are extremely ashy and don't put out a super amount of heat. This is the only brand in town I can find.

I just tried a new to me brand of eco flame pellets and they are not putting out crap for heat and I hate them. I'd rather have the ash clogging OHP brand.

I'm COOOLD tonight and can't go get any more summerset, and I pray they have more, till tomorrow.

Natures Own.... Sold at my local Lowes. JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michigans, Maeder Bros..

ACP - Appling County Pellets

rehabbingisgreen said:
I'm having a difficult time finding any decent pellets locally. OK and as far as locally, I mean within 70 miles.

I do NOT like OHP brand, they are extremely ashy and don't put out a super amount of heat. This is the only brand in town I can find.

I just tried a new to me brand of eco flame pellets and they are not putting out crap for heat and I hate them. I'd rather have the ash clogging OHP brand.

I'm COOOLD tonight and can't go get any more summerset, and I pray they have more, till tomorrow.

Just wondering how ashy are your OHP's? This is my 3rd season with them and I think this batch is probably the most ash I have had with them. What your date on the bag?

Lineman30 said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

Just wondering how ashy are your OHP's? This is my 3rd season with them and I think this batch is probably the most ash I have had with them. What your date on the bag?

ur Pellets have Born On Dates?

samm6 said:
Lineman30 said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

Yeah, in the upper right hand corner of the bag.

Lineman30 said:
samm6 said:
Lineman30 said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

Yeah, in the upper right hand corner of the bag.

That has been said to be just the bags printing date. It isn't the actual date the product was bagged or batch date. Some do put a batch/bagging date on there products. Something that I think should be there for batch tracking.

Avoid Curran from Massena, NY, unless your stove can handle long pellets and you don't mind bags that break easily.
http://forum.iburncorn.com/viewtopic.php?t=11422&highlight=curran

Their QC standard is to keep the pellet length within 1.5", which is too long for my augerless stove.

My quibble about weak bags is based upon last year's experience. I don't know if they have improved this year.

Other than the length problem and the bags, I was happy with them.

Potomacs. Will not burn on any setting besides heat range 8 or 9. And then in just a couple hours burn pot is a solid block and windows are black. I bought the potomacs and a skid of lignetics(west Virginia) from pelletsdirect. The lignetics burn on any setting adequately. The potomacs fail! I am beginning to think the potomacs are wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.