1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellets Used So Far

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by rayttt, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjnicholsjr

rjnicholsjr New Member

Loc:
    Albany County, NY
    We have two pellet stoves running in our house and haven't used half a ton yet so far this heating season. Though we've had some cold days we've also had some warm stretches in New York's Capital District, the true heating season doesn't begin till about now going into December when the pellet stoves are running 24/7.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. trogers

trogers New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Roughly 20 bags here.
  3. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    What are you heating just a closet???, live a little burn a bag and relax... If you have any shrubs around i'd cut em down...
  4. mc67

mc67 Member

Loc:
    Prince Edward Island Canada
    Now at the 20th bag,keeping thermostat set at 73 degrees 24/7.
  5. newguyjoe

newguyjoe Member

Loc:
    Monroe,NY
    22 bag in the hopper now...its been cold here.
  6. jj1949

jj1949 New Member

Loc:
    ND
    12 bags so far...Hi today is to be 18 with a low tonight of 6. This prairie land gets mighty cold.
  7. TboneMan

TboneMan Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Ouch... 5 straight days of temps not getting above freezing and 8 inches of snow on the ground. I'm burning at typical winter rates now.
  8. Baston8005

Baston8005 Member

Loc:
    East of Hartford, CT
    Started buring in ealry Oct. 25 bags so far. With cold spell in North East last few days, i've been using 2 bags a day. Low 30's during day and teens at night with a nice windchill factor in there. Thermostat is set at 76.
  9. Major91

Major91 Member

Loc:
    Dudley, Mass.
    19th Bag used as of last night! Central Mass here and looking for a mild winter!!
  10. Catfishjack

Catfishjack Member

Loc:
    Northern NY
    started the stove October 3rd..
    October: 13 bags
    November: were in a wicked cold spell:total November: 14..when I dump it in tonight:
    total for season to date: 27 bags.........

We live at 72-73...just because we live in the north doesn't mean we like the cold...I'll get all the cold I need when I'm dead...
  11. kyburnr

kyburnr New Member

Loc:
    Kentucky
    On bag 30. @ 5 gal / week of LP (hot H2O) LP fireplace and furnace have not been used yet
  12. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    opened my first bag of my second ton tonight. Also ran my furnace for a few minutes twice today. Temps are running like Jan. instead of Nov. Wife complains bitterly when it goes below 72, even when covered with several blankets. May be a part of our "golden years" Are most of the folks who are using only a few bags running stove with or without another heat souce? When I was advised to buy 6 tons from others who live in this area, I think I got some solid information.
  13. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA

I'm with you bro!
  14. lpgreg

lpgreg Member

Loc:
    central mi.
    35 bags so far. I filled up the hopper yesterday at 3:30 and almost ran out this morning at 0630. It was 18 degrees last night.
  15. teeravis1

teeravis1 New Member

Loc:
    Upper Michigan (the peninsula)
    You can't be too far from me, I am near Crystal Falls.
  16. taperk600

taperk600 New Member

Loc:
    Lake George, NY
    Put my 17th bag in hopper this AM since my install on the 4th. PB 105 boiler. House kept at 70, not turning thermostats down when not home/at night. So far, with nothing to compare it to, I'm happy. Oil burner has not had to come on to assist and we're having a good cold snap right now (single digit nights and teens for highs during days) and the usage has gone up to about 1 bag per day.
  17. P. Elettt

P. Elettt New Member

Loc:
    Central Ma/NH Border
    You guys will probably think I'm nuts but we just put our 5th bag in this morning in Massachusetts and this is all we have for upstairs heat.

We turn the stove off at night and I just got a programmable stat that is hopefully going to work well, so we had it come on about an hour before we'd get up. It's usually about 64 in our living room/hall. Back bedrooms are a few degrees cooler. We're fine with it so far. My goal is to not burn more than 24 bags or so a month so we only ever have to get 2 tons. So far so good, though I'm still tweaking with keeping it 3 and letting the thermostat turn it on and off every our or so, or getting to heat and then running on low for the day then putting it back to medium in the evening.
  18. kt1i

kt1i Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    December 6th. Went out today and moved rest of first skid onto deck. Used 29 bags so far.
  19. ResOps

ResOps New Member

Loc:
    Northern Ontario Canada ya it's cold out here
    well I just did the official count - 82 40# bags through the hopper as of last night :bug: but as mentioned earlier the furnace hasn't been on yet (other than the blower for circulation)
  20. firewarrior820

firewarrior820 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    auburn maine
    40 bags since september,,,,thats less than a bag a day!!!!!
  21. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    33 bags in so far, hopper filled to the top, so that's about 3 bags, guess I've burned about 30. Not a drop of oil yet.
  22. Sawduster

Sawduster New Member

Loc:
    Vermont
    47 bags so far in around five weeks. I'm keeping the room that the stove is in at around 76 degrees 24 hours a day. The rest of the house ranges from a low of 64 degrees to a high of 76. I think at this rate I will run short of pellets by about 1 ton - I had five to start with. I have to say that I have never been this warm since I bought the house about eight years ago. I never would have kept it this warm even if HHO was $1.00 a gallon.
  23. el gordo

el gordo New Member

Loc:
    central maine
    25 bags so far. Been burning since October 24th. That's during 44 day span! I am so happy with my stove thus far. Just run oil for H/W and my upstairs bedroom zone (house is in 3 different zones). So, i am barely using any oil at all, and the stove heats the new family room in the basement(finished the basement when i decided to put stove down there) and the whole first floor! And it is by far a lot warmer in the house with the pellet heat then with the baseboards running.
  24. ex-oil slave

ex-oil slave New Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario, Canada
    77 bags since start up on Oct 3. Running a Harman PF100 forced air furnace and heating the whole house approx 2600 sf. Temps over the weekend were Hi 15 Lo -18 and Hi 7 Lo -22 Saturday and Sunday prior to that it was averaging middle teens for Hi and low single digits to zero for low.
  25. NateM

NateM New Member

Loc:
    NW Conn
    1.5 tons so far. i have anothe 3 in the basement. Hope I make it!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.