Pellets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2012
Kitsap, WA
So, I started the burn season (late October or so) with a ton of Olympus pellets. They worked fantastic until I got to the last 15 bags or so. I have an Enviro Empress stove. With those last 15 bags, the stove had trouble starting. I had to use a torch to start the thing most the time. I tested to make sure the ignitor was getting atleast 115VAC, which it was. I removed the ignitor, cleaned it up with sandpaper, hooked it up and held it with pliers to make sure it was getting hot; the thing was glowing orange, except for the last .5IN. Before I got through the last 15 bags, I bought 5 bags of North Idaho, and 5 bags of Lignetics, and 5 bags of Olympus to try them out. After finishing the 15 bags of Olympus (which had trouble lighting), I tried out the North Idaho. Lit up with no issue and ran great after messing with the damper. I then went with 2 of the 5 bags of Olympus I purchased; light up the first couple times, than had issues with lighting again, I had the damper adjusted good for the Olympus too, or so I think. I then switched to the Lignetics and BAM! lights up just fine again and runs good after closing the damper as far as I can. Has anyone else had issues with running Olympus lately?

Never burned the Olympus pellets but at first blush is sound like those pellets may have been damp. Near the bottom of the stack perhaps and sucked up moisture.

So, I started the burn season (late October or so) with a ton of Olympus pellets. They worked fantastic until I got to the last 15 bags or so. I have an Enviro Empress stove. With those last 15 bags, the stove had trouble starting. I had to use a torch to start the thing most the time. I tested to make sure the ignitor was getting atleast 115VAC, which it was. I removed the ignitor, cleaned it up with sandpaper, hooked it up and held it with pliers to make sure it was getting hot; the thing was glowing orange, except for the last .5IN. Before I got through the last 15 bags, I bought 5 bags of North Idaho, and 5 bags of Lignetics, and 5 bags of Olympus to try them out. After finishing the 15 bags of Olympus (which had trouble lighting), I tried out the North Idaho. Lit up with no issue and ran great after messing with the damper. I then went with 2 of the 5 bags of Olympus I purchased; light up the first couple times, than had issues with lighting again, I had the damper adjusted good for the Olympus too, or so I think. I then switched to the Lignetics and BAM! lights up just fine again and runs good after closing the damper as far as I can. Has anyone else had issues with running Olympus lately?
Try running those 2 bags of Cheetos Puffs listed in your sig through the stove and see if that does not alleviate the problem. Sometimes Cheetos is all it takes to fix the problem.

I wouldnt recommend cheetoes. Last time i did that my soot eater was stained orange.

Unfortunetly, I ate the cheetos:(, need to update my sig! I need to keep that precious .45 brass too! You guys are funny:) Now, the damp pellets theory makes sense and sounds reasonable, but the latest 5 bags of Olympus I bought were from the top of the pallet, I helped grab them myself. I'm going to see if the feed store will allow me to exchange the last 3 bags I have for Lignetics.

Moisture is the only thing I can think of.If other brands are working fine,perhaps I would stay away from the Olympus.
But,I did get a laugh out of your sig!
Seems some people would put their life story in there if they could,I mean c'mon,who cares what ur stock piles are,unless ur giving it away! Like the stupid stick families on the car window,tacky,IMO.
Just my 02,good luck.

Forgot to ask.Did these pellets all come from the same place? Are they stored outside before/after you buy?
I haven't much experience yet myself,but so far I have not seen any retailers in my area that DON"T store them outside.
I imagine they're are some around,and I imagine the cost involved is reflected in the pellet prices.
I suppose I would pay the extra if it proves necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.