1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Phatty

Phatty Member

Loc:
    north east Mass.
    Good morning all,
    Havn't posted in a while been lurking and reading:cool: . Was looking for info on burning horse manure (stall waste manure and shavings) and or making pellets out of it ? Any and all info welcome

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Are you planning on using the pdv to burn them in and what do you have for a mill?

I saw a video on WFSB news with Dan Kain(kains world) They were making stove bricks out of horse poo. Once it was dried it had no smell. Supposed to be cleaner than cord wood. Cord wood contains high ash due to bark. I don't think they will be as clean as a wood pellet. But what the ash content would be I can only guess at over 2%. I'm sure the process of going thru the horse does something to the grass.

If you try it, Keep us posted! ;)
  3. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    This conveys a whole new meaning to the phrase: "these pellets are crap"
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Good luck is all I can say right now. Prior to burning in your system you better make sure the stove is rated for that fuel. The next thing is to make sure the venting is rated for that fuel. other than that burn em if you got em.

Eric
  5. Phatty

Phatty Member

Loc:
    north east Mass.
    jt, no mill and yes the stove. was just wondering. the barn my wife keeps here horse at is trying the bricks and thought crossed my mind free fuel :)
  6. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    What would the name of these pellets be???? "Just S**T Pellets".....
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Nothing is free, it cost plenty to keep a horse.
  8. Millsk

Millsk Member

Loc:
    Eastern ct
    Here in Eastern CT we came VERY close to having a power plant that used chicken waste as fuel. i think it's just a matter of time before we start to see more and more of this. If we can find a way to dry it.. CHEAP BTUs.
  9. Phatty

Phatty Member

Loc:
    north east Mass.
    Smokey it does but might offset the cost a little with heat. LM probly callem poo pellets:)
    SmokeyTheBear and schoondog like this.
  10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    We used to have 3 horses, a pony, a donkey, and a goat living next to us. The owners got a bigger place so they didn't have to board out one of the horses in the winter.

I never could figure out why they had them. There was always a truck load of this or that needed for them.

My cat and a few chickens is plenty. The cat is company and the chickens are comedy (and provide eggs).
    The Ds and jtakeman like this.
  11. schoondog

schoondog Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    dutchess county, n.y.
    So if a group of us can get poo pellets can we call ourselves the "poo crew".:)

Doggy
    jjs777_fzr and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  12. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I live 40 miles or so north of a chicken and turkey litter power plant. Course MN is the turkey growing capital. Almost the top with taxes too. Both a load of ?!$@. The litter is more valuable for fertilizer with the increased price of oil.
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.