pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatty

Jan 1, 2010
north east Mass.
Good morning all,
Havn't posted in a while been lurking and reading:cool: . Was looking for info on burning horse manure (stall waste manure and shavings) and or making pellets out of it ? Any and all info welcome

Are you planning on using the pdv to burn them in and what do you have for a mill?

I saw a video on WFSB news with Dan Kain(kains world) They were making stove bricks out of horse poo. Once it was dried it had no smell. Supposed to be cleaner than cord wood. Cord wood contains high ash due to bark. I don't think they will be as clean as a wood pellet. But what the ash content would be I can only guess at over 2%. I'm sure the process of going thru the horse does something to the grass.

If you try it, Keep us posted! ;)

Good morning all,
Havn't posted in a while been lurking and reading:cool: . Was looking for info on burning horse manure (stall waste manure and shavings) and or making pellets out of it ? Any and all info welcome

This conveys a whole new meaning to the phrase: "these pellets are crap"

Good luck is all I can say right now. Prior to burning in your system you better make sure the stove is rated for that fuel. The next thing is to make sure the venting is rated for that fuel. other than that burn em if you got em.

Eric

jt, no mill and yes the stove. was just wondering. the barn my wife keeps here horse at is trying the bricks and thought crossed my mind free fuel :)

What would the name of these pellets be???? "Just S**T Pellets".....

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Here in Eastern CT we came VERY close to having a power plant that used chicken waste as fuel. i think it's just a matter of time before we start to see more and more of this. If we can find a way to dry it.. CHEAP BTUs.

We used to have 3 horses, a pony, a donkey, and a goat living next to us. The owners got a bigger place so they didn't have to board out one of the horses in the winter.

I never could figure out why they had them. There was always a truck load of this or that needed for them.

My cat and a few chickens is plenty. The cat is company and the chickens are comedy (and provide eggs).

Reactions: The Ds and jtakeman
I live 40 miles or so north of a chicken and turkey litter power plant. Course MN is the turkey growing capital. Almost the top with taxes too. Both a load of ?!$@. The litter is more valuable for fertilizer with the increased price of oil.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.