Pelletsales.com: $343.00 per ton for "Fall" Delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Debi
I suggest you have the windows and insulation checked. For that size house and temp you run it at you are using a lot more oil than you need.
I use about 750glns a year on a Three story running temp at 64. AND its quite warm.Could go to 62 or 63 this coming year. All on the Insulation and Windows and Doors.
Good Luck.

windows are insulated. Had them replaced when we moved in about 6 years ago. Doors are insulated also... I don't think we have any regular insulation though.. Never really looked but don't think so... Thanks for the suggestions..

Debi

Today heating oil in southern NH is $3.67/9 for a 150 gallon minimum buy from Haffners. We have to buy ahead in the off-season to get lower prices.
I just had pellets delivered that I paid the equivalent of $2.17/9 per ton which is exactly what I paid for heating oil (equivalent BTU's) about 2 years ago. High pellet prices are not going to help Tarm, Maine Energy, Harmon, Traeger, or the Woodpecker folks sell high-priced pellet boiler systems.
I'm not overly optimistic, but I anticipate oil dropping some more in the coming days.

debinri said:
windows are insulated. Had them replaced when we moved in about 6 years ago. Doors are insulated also... I don't think we have any regular insulation though.. Never really looked but don't think so... Thanks for the suggestions..

Debi

Glad you had the windows & doors done, but no "regular" insulation? Do you mean nothing in the walls? If so, THERE is where all your $$ is disappearing to. I'm not one to tell people what to do w/ their $, but you should at least look into blown insulation into the walls.....even that should help a LOT.

Couple of other simple things....72 degrees is pretty warm...I know you have kids at home (so do I), but you could easily lower that to 68-69 and wouldn't notice it much.....and sweaters help.

I haven't had my winter heat set at any more than 68 for the past 2 winters, and I have a 22 yr. old 2700sq. ft home that has 22 yr old oil burner.....I used just over 1000 gal of oil last winter ( and that includes oil for the hot water).

Status
Not open for further replies.